Svord peasant knife..EDC legal??

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
yep they do take away alot of things, some for good reasons..others just because of media hype. But I'd rather be here than somewhere like Syria, Middle east or even america.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Boy have they develloped a knife fear culture in Britain and instead of Folk standing up for what they believe in, they let the government take away with absolute impunity, hand guns, pit bulls, conkers in the play ground......

LOL...'The right to bear arms' does not feature in our Magna Carta...and it certainly doesn't mention anything about chav's poodles :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
LOL...'The right to bear arms' does not feature in our Magna Carta...and it certainly doesn't mention anything about chav's poodles :)

I'm sorry but.......
BearArmsSmall04.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just ordered one with wooden scales from HH, should be here by friday! never used HH before but I hear good things.

When it comes I'll measure it up, check out its edge in the garden and convex it on my DC4 if it's not to my liking. I might reshape the handle slightly like most people do and treat it with some form of oil..any suggestions on an affordable oil that will protect and darken the wood scales?

Then I'll consider how to approach adjusting the edge to make it conform to our regulations. If anyone has any pictures of theirs after it's blade has been modified I'd appreciate a little show and tell.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Just ordered one with wooden scales from HH, should be here by friday! never used HH before but I hear good things.

When it comes I'll measure it up, check out its edge in the garden and convex it on my DC4 if it's not to my liking. I might reshape the handle slightly like most people do and treat it with some form of oil..any suggestions on an affordable oil that will protect and darken the wood scales?

Then I'll consider how to approach adjusting the edge to make it conform to our regulations. If anyone has any pictures of theirs after it's blade has been modified I'd appreciate a little show and tell.

Interesting thread, seems the constabulary are as much in the dark about the finer details of the current knife law, as we are. About the oil, I use linseed oil, the first coat diluted with turps (not white spirit) about 50/50 as this helps it to soak in,second application about 3/4 oil & 1/4 turps, then subsequent coats use neat. Rub it well in with your hands,( not a brush or cloth, I enjoy rubbing it in, caressing the wood, but I'm probably wierd ! ) I usually give it 1 coat a day over a period of 4-5 days. It will darken the wood ( not beech or willow though) & bring out the grain. Your handles may be varnished but that's easy enough to remove. I haven't seen this knife before, from the comments it looks like a gooden'........ great price tag too.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Interesting thread, seems the constabulary are as much in the dark about the finer details of the current knife law, as we are. About the oil, I use linseed oil, the first coat diluted with turps (not white spirit) about 50/50 as this helps it to soak in,second application about 3/4 oil & 1/4 turps, then subsequent coats use neat. Rub it well in with your hands,( not a brush or cloth, I enjoy rubbing it in, caressing the wood, but I'm probably wierd ! ) I usually give it 1 coat a day over a period of 4-5 days. It will darken the wood ( not beech or willow though) & bring out the grain. Your handles may be varnished but that's easy enough to remove. I haven't seen this knife before, from the comments it looks like a gooden'........ great price tag too.

ah ok, thanks for the tip mate! where are you from then if not the UK?

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk

Id be more careful with that boiled linsed if i were you.I definitely would not be rubbing it in on my hand. WAY..TOO...TOXIC!
ps if you use linseed oil on a cotton cloth then leave it around somewhere :-this may spontaneously combust! so careful where you put it. eg. not in your wooden shed next to the turpentine and linseed, unless you have a thing about firemen....

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Id be more careful with that boiled linsed if i were you.I definitely would not be rubbing it in on my hand. WAY..TOO...TOXIC!
ps if you use linseed oil on a cotton cloth then leave it around somewhere :-this may spontaneously combust! so careful where you put it. eg. not in your wooden shed next to the turpentine and linseed, unless you have a thing about firemen....

No one metioned boiled linseed oil,( which contains solvents & other drying chemicals) I was refering to cold pressed oil which is far from being toxic, it is in fact edible but for the strong taste ( as are the flax seeds it's extracted from) & no more imflammable than any other natural vegetable oil.
You obviously missed out when you were a kid of the dubious pleasure of rubbing linseed oil into your cricket bat.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I have a couple (well, OK, three) - one wood, one orange and one blue plastic. All three had a blade length (cutting edge) of more than 3 inches long. That's why Heinnies don't list them as UK legal.

I have shortened the blade on the orange 'un, dropped the spine a bit and reduced the belly on the edge (bench grinders are wonderful tools) to take the blade length down to less than 3 inches, and give the blade a slightly finer look.

I'm very happy with it, but I don't think I'd carry one as EDC - the blade and handle size aren't what you'd call discrete exactly. I stick with a Swiss Army Knife for EDC. I would however have no hesitation in carrying one for tool use out in the woods, hence the orange handle!

Cheers

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
How do you measure the cutting edge..tape measure across the belly of the blade? Or from blade start to tip from the side of the blade?

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
The way I do it is to measure from the start of the cutting edge at the handle, along the cutting edge (so following the belly) to the tip, using a measuring tape. I'd suggest erring on the side of caution - I'd far rather carry an obviously S139 compliant knife than otherwise.

Cheers

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for the pic mountainm! That removes less than I was intending on doing! Cheers mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE