Suunto appalling customer service !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Good point - but like mobile phones the more expensive ones come with a lot more features/uses than the cheap ones :)
I need one I can read without putting on my glasses and would like waterproof (I am a canoe coach), perhaps a compass, twin alarms (we have no clocks at all in the house - I hate hearing my life tick away...) stop watch while barometer/altimeter could be useful as could a thermometer.....
Suunto looked good until I saw this thread!

mobile phone does all that and tells the time to ;)

me i like a watch that just tells the time (not that i wear one often ) I have a Traser its the only watch Ive not scratched the glass to bits on in a few months had it many years now lucky hte Traser UK smith lives just down the road and is a nice guy

ATB

Duncan

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

me i like a watch that just tells the time (not that i wear one often ) I have a Traser its the only watch Ive not scratched the glass to bits on in a few months had it many years now lucky hte Traser UK smith lives just down the road and is a nice guy

ATB

Duncan

I have a tag that was given to me sat in a drawer doing nowt as it costs £150's to change the battery (serviced and tested etc.)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

ATB

Duncan

My mobile is a brick that makes and takes phone calls.....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good point - but like mobile phones the more expensive ones come with a lot more features/uses than the cheap ones :)
I need one I can read without putting on my glasses and would like waterproof (I am a canoe coach), perhaps a compass, twin alarms (we have no clocks at all in the house - I hate hearing my life tick away...) stop watch while barometer/altimeter could be useful as could a thermometer.....
Suunto looked good until I saw this thread!

Even Timex watches are available with different features. A small add on compass that slips onto your watchband can be bought seperately from most compass makers. And like the old Timex commercials used to say, "It takes a lickin', and keeps on tickin'."

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The Vector is very good....

The Altimeter is very accurate if you keep it calibrated.
The compass is ok but eats the battery if you use it a lot.
it has all of the normal Digital sports watch functions
The battery is easy to service
It's relatively lightweight.
It has big buttons so is easier to use with gloves on.

There is nothing wrong with it as a product IMHO...

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
The Vector is very good....

The Altimeter is very accurate if you keep it calibrated.
The compass is ok but eats the battery if you use it a lot.
it has all of the normal Digital sports watch functions
The battery is easy to service
It's relatively lightweight.
It has big buttons so is easier to use with gloves on.

There is nothing wrong with it as a product IMHO...

I agree, super watch., just customer service that stinks.

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Do you have a receipt? If not you still have to pay for postage, hours and materials... could still be pricey. Nevertheless the reaction was silly, custumer is king right?

S

suuntolistens

Hi again everyone,

I've already talked to Paullyfuzz in person and it seems like we have come to an agreement. :) Just wanted to use this opportunity to still clarify a couple of things because there was some misinformation in the discussion.

Besides the bezel, the repair cost (87 euros) included a whole new upper casing, which had to be replaced too because the pins that hold the bezel in place had fallen off. Besides the parts, it included the work, shipping and testing, which is needed when the upper casing is replaced. (That would be good to do occasionally anyway, especially when the watch is seven years old, but that’s another story). Had it been just the bezel, replacing it would have been cheaper.

Although 87 euros for what some may consider as a couple of pieces of plastic can seem a little steep (and I agree it’s a lot of money), they are an integral part of the product and we can't send these parts out as such. Most of the parts serve a purpose that a lot of people in fact rely their lives on and we want to guarantee the quality of our products.

As a result of this discussion and other feedback we have received from our customers, we are going to critically reevaluate our repair costs. We don't want them to be unreasonable to our customers. So thank you for your feedback, we'll try and learn from this!

Also, please feel free to come and share your outdoor experiences in our sports community Movescount (www.movescount.com) and share your feedback on Facebook (www.facebook.com/suuntolistens)!

Best regards,

Aku from Suunto
(www.twitter.com/akuvaramaki, www.movescount.com/akuvaramaki)

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Yep, cheers Aku. Maybe you should give some advice to the women who answers the European help desk.

Thankyou Suunto, faith restored.

S

suuntolistens

Hi Ash, yes I'll try and help you. Will look into this on Monday! :) /Aku from Suunto

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
87 Euros to repair. My G-Shock cost less than that for the entire watch and it can take a beating. Of course it doesn't have an altimeter and other gubbins in it that a Suunto does, I use my GPS and smartphone for that. If you want that stuff on a tough watch an alternative is Protrek.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can we hear what the "agreement" was please? Or is it not available to the majority of Suunto customers (and designed to quiet down the thread)?

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I own 2 suuntos, my original is sitting waiting for a new battery, new bezal and new strap. I found out that my other one needs a new battery every six months, Timpson do a lifetime battery ticket for slightly more. Tiso referred me to suunto for a strap replacement, company policy to avoid being the middle man.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent news - well done. Lets hope they offer a similar service to all without the need for complaint :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE