Sussex Bushcraft group meet for NOVEMBER: Weekend of 17th/18th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Well I for one am up for a bow drill master class. I've got the chute but not sure what time I'll be over Friday yet, I might have some work to do. Should leave work at 15:30, but I'll try to get out earlier if I can.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
I have done it with bootlaces, and carry some in my bow drill demo kit. If you practice with good quality 4-5mm cord you hone your technique, which stands you in good stead for thinner more fragile cordage. Also when the 5mm cord eventually wears out, you are left with many thin strands which are useful for fishing line and many other jobs. A bow made from green wood is stronger than dead wood, again if you are a beginner your lack of experience may snap a weak bow. If you are using wood for your bearing block you ideally want green wood, otherwise you get hot ember dust on top of your hand!

Don't get me started on the woodlore bow drill method, it's not the best. I have given complete novices two bow drill sets, one woodlore and one greencraft. Every person who has done this with me says the greencraft way is much easier.

A bold statement, but true. There is more to bushcraft than the people lucky enough to be on the TV.
See you in the woods, let me know if you want a handout.

Luke

Last edited:

Rico

Aug 23, 2010
Betchworth, Surrey
1 Spandit
2 SimonH, wearing a tutu woven from his own beard hair
3 Jack + chute
4 Bill + hot water bottle and possibly an extra sleeping bag or two
5 Luke
6 Peter_t
7 Dark Horse Dave (Friday afternoon - Saturday evening only)
8 Rico

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
1 Spandit
3 Jack + chute + sausages
5 Luke
6 Peter_t + spandit's chair
7 Dark Horse Dave (Friday afternoon - Saturday evening only) + kettle
8 Rico

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
I have put my back out today, so not sure what I will be doing come the weekend. I have a week of no earnings and osteopath visits to look forward too!

Luke

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
I put out vertibrae 3 and 4 in the lumber region of my spine, it happened because I sneezed whilst bent over. Problem has been sorted by my osteopath, but Im going to be sore for a few days. I have carved 2 spoons, 2 mini wizards, and an 18" two faced wizard so far. Not sure what my next off work project will be! I will have to see how I feel at the end of the week, if Im still creaky I will come over during the day on Saturday.

Luke

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'll pass on the group meal. I don't finish work until 8pm on the Friday so might come up on Saturday morning instead

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I can now come to this meet. I was supposed to be going to Bath but work have asked me to be on call on Saturday, so I may have to go off for a few hours if the application cutover has a problem but on the bright side I will be getting paid for being in the woods, which will be a first.

1 Spandit
3 Jack + chute
5 Luke
6 Peter_t
7 Dark Horse Dave (Friday afternoon - Saturday evening only)
8 Rico
9 Dave

I need to get back into bowdrill so want to get a bow & set together. I have some hearth boards, drills & maybe some cord so will bring along what I have.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I will bring the grill etc.. Let us know if we need a big 8L dutch oven, as I can bring mine along. I am thinking of bringing the forge along again as it has been a while since I hit hot metal, if anyone wants to have a go then let me know.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
I will only be coming over on saturday, sods law as I have been looking forward to a few nights in the woods. I found a few old strands of willow cambium which I turned into 16" of string. Also made some fishing hooks from blackthorn, hawthorn, and safety pins, I used the inner threads from an old bow drill cord as line. Its amazing what you get done when you have the time, my carving projects this week stand at 8 so far. If it was not for that thing we need called money, I would be off work more often.

See you on saturday.

Luke

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE