Sussex Bushcraft group meet for APRIL: 21st/22nd at Broadstone Warren - FORGE Time!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Might be selling my Travel soon if anyone wants one, just need to see if one of the two boys wants it first, if not it will get listed in the Classifieds here

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
It's about 50mm - thinking about it, I've got a spare fan lying around - do you just run them straight from the 9V battery or is there circuitry involved?

You just need an on/off switch & you are good to go. You need a tube that goes from the fan to the forge which will get hot, so its best made of metal as plastic will melt. Mount the fan on a bit of wood connected to the tube or you can prop it at the end of the tube like I did last time. I will bring a couple of fans along anyway, so we should be covered.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
SpareX if I can make the April meet I will show you how to use a flint with a steel striker. I will bring my fire box over so you can have a go at loads of different methods. The Forge Wood season has started so I'm not sure what meets I can make yet.

Luke
Greencraft

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
would really like a old school flint and steel with an actual peace of flint but i think they would be hard to use

SpareX, if you get to the meet im bringing some steel down for use with the forge, so you can make you own striker from that if you like, i shouldnt have a shortage of metal for you to use either, barring that i can bring some of my existing flints & steels with me and you can have a play with those with all sorts of different tinders from natural to man made, i'll more than likely also have bow drill kits, hand drill sets, fire pistons, ferro rods etc as well, all depends on how much kit the boys and i decide to bring between us, i'll also see about bringing a bag of flint as well, got more than i know what to do with.

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have acquired an old piece of steel recently that looks interesting about 1/2 inch square and 3 feet long, I shall cut a few bits off and bring some with me.
Looking forward to seeing you guys, and your tasty nibbles.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Might head back up there on Wednesday mate and see if we can get a bit more of that steel ?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hey Kepis, any chance of having a go at the bow drill. Never managed it by myself. Got a couple of bits of poplar drying in the LR to use for a hearth and a possible have rod for the drill.

No prob, i have a load of pre prep'd sets we can use and a few raw sets that need the prep work doing so you can see the process from start to finish

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It's a great feeling when you get flame for the first time!

That it is, i can still remember to this day, exactly where i was when i got my first ember and then blew it to flame, it's something you never forget, the hand drill is even more rewarding, but we can leave that one for a later date:)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
That it is, i can still remember to this day, exactly where i was when i got my first ember and then blew it to flame, it's something you never forget, the hand drill is even more rewarding, but we can leave that one for a later date:)

Indeed. Unable to make it last time I taught my partner and 9 year old flint and steel firelighting (having been taught it myself by John Fenna at last years moot) which they both got. So I'd be interested in moving onto Bow and Hand drill.

Apr 3, 2012
East Sussex
Hi all, looking to get out and about but new to all this, not done any offsite camping since my dads brief love affair with mr mears when i was a kid and really just lookin for a good starting point to get my confidence up, kitted myself out and now just need to leap in, was hoping to come along to the broadstone warren meet and get to know a few of you and start learning, so what do i need to do to come along or do i just turn up cash in hand and head to the plot? Cheers, Lee

Apr 3, 2012
East Sussex
Great, up and running finally, ok so hi guys,I'm looking to get out and about(been a lurker on bcuk for a while now)I was brought up with fields and woods as my playground but drifted away from it all during my teens and im basically just looking to get back out in nature and enjoy myself,after many nights poring over the wealth of info on these boards I've got myself all the gear that i should need, and probably some i never will(ask my paypal balance...)and have been spending whatever time i can stumbling around Ashdown forest but still have little clue what I'm doing and yet to add a night out in the woods to the list, as such i'm hoping to come along to this meet but as it's my first one I just need to know what i need to do to sign up for it, how/who to pay etc,looking forward to meeting you guys,cheers,Lee

Last edited:

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
1 Neumo
2 Spandit (both nights)
3 Kep (possibly +2 depending on the boys exams and their other commitments)
4 SimonH - I'll bring some organic burgers for Spandit because he's such a terrific guy
5 widu13 plus mob.
6 Hugo
7 Swallow + 1
8 Jack
9 Sparex - (both nights)
10 peter_t
11 Wildbill
12 Loenja (il do my best to come)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE