Sussex Bushcraft group meet for APRIL: 21st/22nd at Broadstone Warren - FORGE Time!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
O M G. I think I'm having a gastric orgasm at the thought of all these sausages. Just goes to show that the Sussex group is the most giving, friendly group out there. If its not experience and wisdom these guys share, it's the most wonderful sausages.

Perhaps it's the people who respect nature and are thoughtful about what it gives them that give the most back. A lesson for us all there I think. Wish I had more to contribute. That said, charcoaling tomorrow. Better do a big batch now.

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
guys any advice on a under blanket for my hammock ? need to get one sorted out whats a good one to get ?

thanks in advance

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
guys any advice on a under blanket for my hammock

Unsponsored makes good ones and are reasonably priced. I have his standard one (not full length), that is good and olds down pretty well. If you want to go the whole hog the the UK Hammocks winter under blanket is good but is not cheap. You could look at the Snugpack ones, which have a good reputation. Or try making your own from a cheap sleeping bag impend up with some channels sewn down the side.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If I were you I'd not invest in an underquilt until you know if you like hammocking. It's not for everyone & UQ can be fiddly to get right. A cheap sleeping mat will be fine, albeit not so comfortable.

At the last meet I was too hot & my sleeping bag isn't as advanced as yours. You'll be fine! :)

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
ok sweet sounds good spandit ive got an old sleeping bag im going to bring with me and see if i can collar someone into helping me make it into a under quilt :p

if any one wouldn't mind helping me do this tell me what i need to bring :D

on a side note im still looking for a rucksack to carry all this gear any advice ? im totally clueless don't want to spend a arm and a leg on a rucksack around the £50 mark think i would need a 70ltr +

thanks again guys

also another side note i would love to have ago a knife making what metals do i need ? i know you say old rasps ect but what metal are they made of as im very close to a steel works and i get on very well with the owners daughter :p

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You'll need a needle & thread or kilt pins. If you can get some bungee cord to hold it up (off eBay) then all well & good. Otherwise, you'll have to improvise with other cord which won't be as good (without weight in the hammock, an underquilt sits very high - difficult to explain, easier to demonstrate)

Regarding the knives, spring steel or tool steel is good. Frankly, any steel can be used to make a knife, it just might be more difficult to sharpen/keep a good edge). Any bits you can scrounge will be very useful!

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
ok ill get as much steel as i can

ill bring a needle and thread and try to get some elastic to hold it up thanks again spandit

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
1 Neumo
2 Spandit (both nights)
3 Kep (possibly +2 depending on the boys exams and their other commitments)
4 SimonH - I'll bring some organic burgers for Spandit because he's such a terrific guy
5 widu13 plus mob.
6 Hugo
7 Swallow + 1
8 Jack
9 Sparex - (both nights)
10 peter_t

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Good to see that your coming along again Peter mate.

1 Neumo
2 Spandit (both nights)
4 SimonH - I'll bring some organic burgers for Spandit because he's such a terrific guy
5 widu13 plus mob.
6 Hugo
7 Swallow + 1
8 Jack
9 Sparex - (both nights)
10 peter_t

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
1 Neumo
2 Spandit (both nights)
5 widu13 plus mob.
6 Hugo
7 Swallow + 1
8 Jack
9 Sparex - (both nights)
10 peter_t
11 Wildbill

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Don't know what all the fuss is about with under blankets. Not needed one this year yet and I've be out in sub zero conditions. My reasonable snugpack has not let me down, nor my personal thermal layer I carry round with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE