'Survivors' new series from the Beeb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I hope Iam wrong but the BBC is so PC these days it'll be crap,I mean just look at the cast!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Just had a quick peek at the cast list.. Think I'll avoid this one. I'm struggling to think of a recent BBC series I've really enjoyed, recent years haven't been up to scratch for me anyway. Although I've enjoyed several of the Dr Whos, but couldn't stand Freema whats-her-name.

Remember kids, it's all down the unique way the BBC is funded!... :rolleyes:

Nag.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
28 days later made into a series but without the zombies. sounds like they are trying to make a more cheerfull version of eastenders.

or is it just me :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
The LARPers looked like a more entertaining version of survivors after a virus than this lot. I mean in the aftermath of such devistation, do people actually have time to go do their hair nice and look generally so fresh-from-suburbia?

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Its one series I was a bit young for and didn't see repeated.
Is the origonal worth buying? love all the older series's, Tripods was my favorite when growing up.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Is the origonal worth buying? love all the older series's, Tripods was my favorite when growing up.
ABSOLUTELY definately worth buying my friend,quality tv series for sure.Loved The Tripods myself as a nipper too.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London

One of the great things about the original was pretty much no incidental music, this help set the mood more lack of technology and also made it seem more like a weekly play ,on locations, than a standard TV series but also without the mood setting of background music it avoided trying to lead the viewer into how they should feel about a scene/incident.
It was rewatching the original series, last year on DVD, that made me realise just how much modern TV and films do this.

I'll still give the new series a watch, at least for a few episodes, though given the changes in technology and reliance upon them ( since the original) and how the vast majority I do feel they should have reflected that in the title and called it "New Survivors" or something just slightly different.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
The LARPers looked like a more entertaining version of survivors after a virus than this lot. I mean in the aftermath of such devistation, do people actually have time to go do their hair nice and look generally so fresh-from-suburbia?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the LARPers?

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>Is the origonal worth buying?

Definitely worth watching. Each episode is a great mix of the practical realities, like how to get petrol, store food, combat disease; and also the social consequences, like loneliness, breakdown of law and order, reappraisal of useful skills and peoples' worth.

Very difficult to make the outside scenes look authentic, without planes flying overhead, or a motorway droning in the background, but they manage it by sticking to a very strong plot.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm a real No1 fan of the original 3 series, all of which I have on DVD, but I'm not impressed with the cast line up of the new series, and don't think 6 episodes is enough to do the story line justice

Don't expect this to be a survival series or 28 days, its not meant to be that.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I'm a real No1 fan of the original 3 series, all of which I have on DVD, but I'm not impressed with the cast line up of the new series, and don't think 6 episodes is enough to do the story line justice

Don't expect this to be a survival series or 28 days, its not meant to be that.

I take it as its a brit feature they will have kept it short so they werent stuck with a lemon. american companies will trailer or mini series it like the remake of battlestar galacticas out. other times you get reasonable series which are badly scheduled and are cancelled mid run like odessy 5. its funny sometimes when sky gets all excited about a show and it does real well here but is then cancelled half way due to the US market. there was one which I knew had been cancelled mid season so you were stuck with the finale but nothing to look forward to. 2 years after i watched it online sky put it on and promoted it like it was the next big thing knowing full well it was oging knowhere and it was too late to restart it.

some old series could do with a makeover, battlestar as mentioned was done really well and doctor who is much better so maybe a blakes7 remake? they can keep starcops in the drawer though :)

the tomorrow people might work even though it was a kids show. chocky was wierd though.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I heard on Radio 5 that the bbc are making a Blakes 7 re-make. It was during a programme about doctor who a few month back, but havent heard owt since.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE