Survival Tip????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
I know this isnt entirely a bushcraft question but am going to post anyway as my curiosity gets the better of me. I've heard that a valid method of staving off hypothermia is to climb into a plastic bag with another naked human. Has anyone ever tried this and would it work?

And would being naked actually help? ;)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Never had to try it myself, but I remember reading a while ago that if the people in the bag are of the opposite sex the heat transfer is improved by 5%!

Not sure if it is true or not, but it is a fact that I remembered in case I went down with hypothermia and had to use this method ;)

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
charley beale said:
I know this isnt entirely a bushcraft question but am going to post anyway as my curiosity gets the better of me. I've heard that a valid method of staving off hypothermia is to climb into a plastic bag with another naked human. Has anyone ever tried this and would it work?

In an emergency in the wild, sharing bodily warmth is a good way to rewarm someone. Obviously, hospitals have much more efficient methods. I think you're refering to the bright orange plastic survival bags.

If it was an emergency i'd remove any damp clothing, but not get the person naked before trying to warm them - probably in a sleeping bag(s) rather than the plastic sack - condensation would cause dampness and heat loss.

Mind you, if the other party was female, naked might promote er... warming by friction! :yelrotflm

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have been involved in a number of hypo incidents (I also do a very good impression of a Hypo case btw - we assess mountain leaders in their skills with spotting / treating;) )

I personally don't think the naked bit is a good idea (unless both are not hypothermic:lmao: ) but gradual warming via body heat transfer is a great (and the recomended) procedure for stabilising the condition and promoting recovery

The key is to heat at the rate you got 'cold' ie fast if you fall in a icy river but slow and steady (get in the ol' bag) if has been a gradual cooling over hours

hope this answers the question

btw resisting the obvious temptation to offer ..... :eek:

Jan 12, 2006
wiltshire
too true peeps remove damp and wet clothing and get into your sleeping bag try not to mave the hypo victim and warm naturally not by the fire / car heater as rapid heating has its own problems !!!!!

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
As a few have said the important thing is the rewarm, which is done as close to the rate thety cooled.

Always good to use a kisoo to cut down windchill or any makreshift shelter, and get some good insulation under the patient, try to get them warmer, by adopting the feotal position, and a couple of warm people to provide heat either side. give sips of water, not gulps, and don't move until there core and extremities are re warmed. And then only if really neccessary.

But while the patient is recieving treatment why not try the naked bodies in a plastic bag, even though I think someone is tryna pull your leg. But could well be fun trying : ;):

Good luck, dont get too carried away though, could well dehydrate and become a patient yourself. :lmao:

Ste

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I think the idea of removing the clothing is that leaving it on, will reduce the amount of body heat getting to the hypothermic individual. Warming a hypothermic individual to quickly would most likely cause their death, in that the cold blood would go rushing to the core of the body, deepening the hypothermia. In some instances, this has caused heart attacks.

I know that this is a factaul way to rewarm a hypo victim.. Your clothing is an insulator against the elements, therefore keeping your body heat close to your body and not allowing it to escape. By removing your clo0thing down to undergarments you can effectively transfer body heat (sharing warmith) There is a rule of thumb also; If victim fell into Hypothermia fast warm up fast say by a hot fire and wool blankets, but if fell into it over a period of hours then re-warming should be done body to body over an extended time slowly. Just like frostbite you would'nt put a frostbitten hand in hot water, same rule applies to Hypo victims. PS make sure you remove their clothing as well.

As for the female counterpart...all I can say is don't go in the bush with your buddies :lmao:

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I have had 2 cases of hypo in groups I have led.
I dont realistically think that getting naked would have been very smart in either situation. The weather was ****ty in both cases and removing clothing would have stripped away the body warmth rapidly before anyone got in a bag. There was also not enough extra layers to go on the vicitim in the first episode because we had no sleeping bag or spare clothes.
Taking off wet outer clothing is a definate yes because of the reasons mentioned (easy heat transfer, no cold wet stuff in the bag).
Getting the second man in the bag is also a definate yes. To give heat and morale.
One piece of kit I would highly recommend, not to stray too far from the point, is something called a Zarsky sack. I hope that is the right spelling. It is an emergency shelter, the group sits inside on the edges and it makes a dome shape. It is surprisingly warm and lovely just from body heat.
The first time it was a female. But she was one of those where we were all going to chip in for the brave man who did get naked with her. No man dared, not even for a monkey!
The second victim was male. We drew straws.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Alchemist said:
One piece of kit I would highly recommend, not to stray too far from the point, is something called a Zarsky sack. I hope that is the right spelling. It is an emergency shelter, the group sits inside on the edges and it makes a dome shape. QUOTE]

Alchemist, the spelling is correct. The shelter is also known as a bothy, or kisoo. The size varies from a 2man shelter right upto one suitable for 8 people. Like you I have used these a fair bit, and have found them great, for taking short breaks on wet hill sides to get a quick warm to boost morale, taking lunch breaks. And the odd casualty on the hill.

Just make sure when you you take a break through choice, to get out of the wind, and party member with wind stays out. Can get very warm quickly in these shelters, and stuffy!! :27:

Check the link below to give you an idea of the designof the kit if your curious.

www.cheaptents.com/TerraNova.htm

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Wet garments should be removed carefully and replaced with dry (preferably warm) garments. {4-20} Blankets and/or an insulated sleeping bag may be used to retain body heat, and efforts should be made to shield the victim from wind chill. Cold sleeping bags should be prewarmed with a volunteer prior to placing a victim inside to prevent core temperature heat loss. Prehospital personnel may lie (stripped to their underwear) alongside a conscious victim underneath the covers to assist in rewarming.

From this site: http://www.hypothermia.org/weinberg.htm

Getting naked and into a sleeping bag with a hypothermia victim is not a particularly good intervention however unless you are certain that the volunteer will not also succumb to hypothermia - that means that the sleeping bag must be adequate to ensure that you you are not just chilling the volunteer by asking them to get into a cold bag with a cold body in it! Make sure that there is adequate provision for keeping the volunteer warm - there have been stories of sleeping bags being found with two bodies in them - both the warmer and the warmee dead of hypothermia.

George

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
Thank you for all your comments I feel vindicated that I wasnt the gullible victim of a wind up with this bit of info. I know where this thread could have gone so apologies if it offended anyone, was just curious.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
charley beale said:

I've used this method. A nephew fell through the ice on a snowshoe trip. It was about minus 20 F. My brother was on one side of him. I was on the other. Skin to skin heat is one of the directives for treating hypothermia. Never heard of the plastic bag. We used a couple of sleeping bags. We also forced hot drinks on him.

PG

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Alchemist said:
<snip>.
One piece of kit I would highly recommend, not to stray too far from the point, is something called a Zarsky sack. I hope that is the right spelling. It is an emergency shelter, the group sits inside on the edges and it makes a dome shape. It is surprisingly warm and lovely just from body heat.
<snip>

I did a 'google' search on Zarsky sack and only found a few links, and NO pictures or links to buy one...
Where do you get them???

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Hawsome34 said:
The shelter is also known as a bothy, or kisoo. The size varies from a 2man shelter right upto one suitable for 8 people. Like you I have used these a fair bit, and have found them great, for taking short breaks on wet hill sides to get a quick warm to boost morale, taking lunch breaks. And the odd casualty on the hill.

Just make sure when you you take a break through choice, to get out of the wind, and party member with wind stays out. Can get very warm quickly in these shelters, and stuffy!! :27:

Check the link below to give you an idea of the designof the kit if your curious.

www.cheaptents.com/TerraNova.htm

the pack size of a 2man bothy, is around the same as a lightweight hammock. In measurements around 150mm long x 120mm diameter

Hope this help, there are many places you can get them from,

Aside of Zarsky sak,on google search look for bothy bag, or kisu/kisoo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE