Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Should a brew kit be part of the survival tin.
ie if the tin was a trangia billy ( as ive mentioned in many previous posts...oops, forgetting what I post)
It depends where you are and what you want a survival kit to do. For me, as you can see from the tin I am basing my hiking kit around I want to be able to boil water and will carry the makings for a brew. The thing is I need a phone signal, duck tape, a bandanna and ways to keep warm in the UK for what I do at the moment. Anything else is gravy.
The point of a survival kit for me is it should be the first thing in every bag so you always have one on you when traveling.

Reactions: neoaliphant

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
It depends where you are and what you want a survival kit to do. For me, as you can see from the tin I am basing my hiking kit around I want to be able to boil water and will carry the makings for a brew. The thing is I need a phone signal, duck tape, a bandanna and ways to keep warm in the UK for what I do at the moment. Anything else is gravy.
The point of a survival kit for me is it should be the first thing in every bag so you always have one on you when traveling.

ive rearranged my kit...again....this time to a big molle pouch, that will fit inside my response pack ( to which I add telescope, water, food pouch) or can be worn on belt on its own
might post pictures of content later

im keeping trangia tin in bigger BOB kit....

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think that sort of my plan going forward to always have my survival tin and boo boo kit in arms reach.
A survival kit for me is to keep my rear end alive until the red helicopter turns up or the mountain rescue ask "How? Just how?"
I will always have some version of the SAS survival tin as a guide and limit for my possible pouch/bag. I am trying to do more stuff however from a view point of a caveman did it with a rock and he had to work it out first.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Going back..again..to original pint
I think a monocular would be a good addition to survival pouch
Been testeing some at my local camera shop and the quality of the hawke nature trek 10x42 is amazing.
Will be getting for xmas.
will fit nicely in my response pack.

Let me know if anyone wants to see photos of my current pouch contents

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Going back..again..to original pint
I think a monocular would be a good addition to survival pouch
Been testeing some at my local camera shop and the quality of the hawke nature trek 10x42 is amazing.
Will be getting for xmas.
will fit nicely in my response pack.

Let me know if anyone wants to see photos of my current pouch contents
I carry binos however they not part of my survival kit. I suppose they might be part of my possibility bag. They were an Aldi purchase and I am not sure what mag they are, 12x32. I am in the process of making a pouch for them as I like them on my Rucksack waist belt and I have a lowe alpine so need some sort of diy molle for that to work.
Yes please to the photos.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I got an Aldi spotting scope, awesome 2-60x I can see peoples heads on glastonbury tor from 6 miles away
Have a look at the Ali express molle pouches, especially the radio pouch with extendible sides, might be ideal.

will sort photos at some point....good evening project

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset

Here is my survival pouch contents
made a google doc as list and images quite long

Feedback appreciated, anything missing etc

also have some addon pouches for cold weather, hot etc....
and bigger pack

Thanks
Al

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
That a pack of Parma Violets? :)

Though does remind me, tried some SaltStick ( https://saltstick.com/ ) Fastchews recently. They are chewable electrolyte tablets, and the tangy orange are quite nice too.
Also do electrolyte capsules too, the regular Caps have Vitamin D added too, and the Caps Plus have 30mg of caffeine as well.

In hot weather I sweat a lot, and whilst calves cramping is rare can leave me limping for days.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Is that what causes cramps? I get them sometimes, painful. But they go away instantly when I stand up.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
That a pack of Parma Violets? :)

Though does remind me, tried some SaltStick ( https://saltstick.com/ ) Fastchews recently. They are chewable electrolyte tablets, and the tangy orange are quite nice too.
Also do electrolyte capsules too, the regular Caps have Vitamin D added too, and the Caps Plus have 30mg of caffeine as well.

In hot weather I sweat a lot, and whilst calves cramping is rare can leave me limping for days.

Yesp, parma violets on offer in Aldi in a variety bag, love hearts are good too as they keep for ages.

on side note so do skyflakes crackers, 7 years out of date and still good.

i was thinking only yesterday i dont have any rehydration tablets, i get some from home bargains you add to water, but they dont store well individually. dont think i can justify to myself the 20p ish for saltstick, would do if i got cramps. lack of magnesium can give cramps as well.

Saw a basic recipe for rehydration powder using bicarb and sugar....

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I would get that looked at. Watch anything with added caffeine.
I like High 5 tablets as you just add them to water.
When I said wasn't sure it's the only reason, meant wasn't sure what other possible medical issues are causes of muscle cramps in general. Not that I don't know why I get cramps.

If plan to be able to drink suspicious water through a filter, having water soluble tablets isn't going to work.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
When I said wasn't sure it's the only reason, meant wasn't sure what other possible medical issues are causes of muscle cramps in general. Not that I don't know why I get cramps.
No worries as long as you know why.

If plan to be able to drink suspicious water through a filter, having water soluble tablets isn't going to work.
My water system is a Platypus Gravity feed or tablets so I fill the bottle and use the High 5 tablets. Not because I need them, a lot of my fitness stuff has been cycling so just use them out of habit however they make sense in a survival kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE