Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Back to original topic
Just saw a video from Prepared Pathfinder
that the waterbag in these kits are fireproof and you can put the bags straight on to the fire
thats a really cool modern update for teh tin
The kevlar cord is usefull tool

Reactions: Minotaur

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Yes correct, the Aldershot shop was right beside the station. I think there was another branch in Glasgow.

I think that’s when problems occurred too many shops, remember one in Newcastle opposite the rail also and visiting one in Leeds once to pick up a survival tin with the nato compass

They had one of the best survival kits I have ever owned, in my opinion at least. Very slightly bigger tin but not much and all the right kit in it. I think about £28 to £32 at the time.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
A lot of camping shops had it, pretty sure there was a survival weapons and techniques magazine or similar that always featured it.
bit too hardcore for millets tho
I used to love reading survival weaponry and technique magazine that an the sas survival book .Wished I had kept the magazines .

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
I think that’s when problems occurred too many shops, remember one in Newcastle opposite the rail also and visiting one in Leeds once to pick up a survival tin with the nato compass

They had one of the best survival kits I have ever owned, in my opinion at least. Very slightly bigger tin but not much and all the right kit in it. I think about £28 to £32 at the time.
Yeah, not sure what happened but it may have been a bit of over-reach, opening outlets all over the place despite having an excellent retail base of small outdoor shops selling their gear across the country. The company then became Penrith Survival, run by a former SA employee and it continued for another 20 years, along much the same lines I think.
The "Combat Survival Tin" was a good one, comprising items that had all been tested on the SA survival courses and chosen by folks who knew what works. The earlier versions had the brass button compass included and were a really successful product.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
i know the one you mean, you could connect the knife to the scabbard to forma wire cutter, I wanted one for years.
It was the Explora - Altor maybe. Owned one and had it stolen. It is weirdly on topic because the descent blades and cards in survival kits come from this knife because everyone was putting the harpoon in their survival tin.
I may have more info on this or John might remember it as it was reviewed in Survival Weaponry and Techniques which is why I ended up buying it.

Reactions: neoaliphant

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
It was the Explora - Altor maybe. Owned one and had it stolen. It is weirdly on topic because the descent blades and cards in survival kits come from this knife because everyone was putting the harpoon in their survival tin.
I may have more info on this or John might remember it as it was reviewed in Survival Weaponry and Techniques which is why I ended up buying it.
I won a Marto-Brewer Explora survival knife in a raffle when I was about 12 years old. It was a really excellent knife and I used it a lot for chopping firewood on survival courses, making shelters and clearing our overgrown garden. The blade was superb, held an edge and seemed to withstand a whole load of punishment. Good sheath too, secure and solid. At the time there were a lot of really cheap/poor quality hollow-handled knives on the market then (early 80s) but this one was not among them. I gave it away some years later and they are now a sought-after collectible. I still have the handbook for it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have cuttings of every article I ever wrote - from SWAT, through Great Outdoors to Pembrokeshire life magazines ... some good stuff in there. I also have a few SWAT magazines from before I wrote for them as well as a couple of the "Annuals".
No - I have no plans to scan and post any of it ... for one thing it would be breaking copyright!
Visitors to my home may be allowed to view the cuttings and magazines - for a nominal charge :)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
No - I have no plans to scan and post any of it ... for one thing it would be breaking copyright!
I did wonder about the copyright issue however had no plans to post them either.
I am a little tempted to post some of the pictures. There is a very good one of "Jungle John" :)
I am going to work out a way to scan the Survival Aids catalog.
Visitors to my home may be allowed to view the cuttings and magazines - for a nominal charge :)
I am seriously thinking about purchasing your book as I have been re-reading your articles on garment making. Very interesting. I have just sewn my first items by machine and plan to work up to some fleeces and combats.

Reactions: BrewkitAndBasha

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They are still available - details on the Makers Market section -
Enjoy the sewing! :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Going slightly back on topic, I find the USAF parachute survival kit - with a small booklet on all uses for a parachute - very interesting.

It’s a kit, stashed in the parachute harnass, in case a pilot lost his other, larger (ejection seat) kit or (AFAIK they also wear a) vest with kit.

Anyway, in case it’s really not his (her) day, there’s a minimalistic last resort.

In said kit they supply the pilot with (amongst other kit) 4 small fuel tablets (to start a fire) that can be ignited in the same way as a match. I found them overhere sold as bbq starters and think they would do great in a survival tin.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Reactions: BrewkitAndBasha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE