Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wish I had has a grappling hook in Aldi's last week.

I wanted some pop but the last bottles were at the back out of my reach.

So I had to take my bandana off and lasso them with it.

A grappling hook would have been so much more convenient

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I wish I had has a grappling hook in Aldi's last week.

I wanted some pop but the last bottles were at the back out of my reach.

So I had to take my bandana off and lasso them with it.

A grappling hook would have been so much more convenient

There you go, im justified in carrying grappling hooks.
Ok, having 3 in my car kit at the moment I admit might be a bit much.....
Good improvisation tho, and might I recommend the the Aldi XS coke, its quite a good copy of pepsi max for 21p a can.

Reactions: Minotaur

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
The Survival Aids catalog needed me to win the lottery. The time I spent drooling over that.
If you still have one of those catalogues, I would love to buy a scanned/photocopy?! I was fortunate enough to work for the company for a while and we were given a 50% discount on any gear we wished to buy. We also only worked a 4-day week and were encouraged to have a long weekend each month to take gear out into the hills and test it. Great days and the MD who established the company was a true visionary. He pioneered the way for a lot of good and hard-to-find gear to enter the UK market.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
If you still have one of those catalogues, I would love to buy a scanned/photocopy?!
I might have a copy, it would be in the loft at my Mums if it survived the various binnings. I will try and look at the weekend because I am curious as well.

I was fortunate enough to work for the company for a while and we were given a 50% discount on any gear we wished to buy. We also only worked a 4-day week and were encouraged to have a long weekend each month to take gear out into the hills and test it. Great days and the MD who established the company was a true visionary. He pioneered the way for a lot of good and hard-to-find gear to enter the UK market.
Did you have the Rucksack which had a waist belt that was a climbing harness?
Always wondered what that was like. For a long time one of my dream destinations was the shop and I never managed it.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I visited the Euston shop lots. Unless my memory is playing tricks, I think they had a place in Aldershot? I'm pretty sure I got a Berghaus Cyclops Roc there.

Anyway, back to survival tins: here's another idea I've come across recently for the first time. This guy has catapult bits in his, which I think is quite interesting.

Reactions: Minotaur

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
I might have a copy, it would be in the loft at my Mums if it survived the various binnings. I will try and look at the weekend because I am curious as well.

Did you have the Rucksack which had a waist belt that was a climbing harness?
Always wondered what that was like. For a long time one of my dream destinations was the shop and I never managed it.
Thank you, that would be great if you have one - I had a stack of them, all gone now. I like old-school catalogues from that era as they often had more than just a technical sales pitch in them. There was a Swedish company called Caravan that used to run stories of canoe camping and trekking in the Scandinavian wilderness, as well as providing specs on their Gucci down sleeping bags and waistcoats! Like the old Fjallraven catalogues did too.

You refer to the Lowe Alpine LoCo pack methinks (before the larger version, the Commando came along) - I always wanted one as it seemed a versatile bit of kit and had all the bells and whistles (which I used to shy away from on other rucksacks), but as a young lad at the time I couldn't afford the 100 pounds or so that it cost. That said, last year I found a brand new one online in the US, never been used and sold as NOS. So I managed to buy it and it's now my pack for all my treks and training activities these days. Seems like the owner had been its caretaker for me for 38 years and I am lucky to have found it/it found me. I was planning to do a retro-kit thread on this forum sometime, so will try to do that before long. It's doing well considering it is almost 40 years old now. The PU proofing had delaminated, which doesn't matter to me, but the rest is holding up well although I don't give it a hard life. The removable belt is a real bonus for me as I can take my safety gear with me when I mooch around away from basecamp.

For anyone interested in the survival kit launched onto the market during that era, I will scan the surviving SA catalogue I have from '82 and post it on a separate thread.

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
I visited the Euston shop lots. Unless my memory is playing tricks, I think they had a place in Aldershot? I'm pretty sure I got a Berghaus Cyclops Roc there.

Anyway, back to survival tins: here's another idea I've come across recently for the first time. This guy has catapult bits in his, which I think is quite interesting.

Yes correct, the Aldershot shop was right beside the station. I think there was another branch in Glasgow.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
How I drooled over the webbing in the local camping shop was to pricey as a kid think ur was mag nor ? Or something similar green with plastic clips and the Wilking sword survival knife .
I had a cheap survival knife where the catapult was on end of the scabbard .
That was only because I found £20 in the new forest as a kid

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
How I drooled over the webbing in the local camping shop was to pricey as a kid think ur was mag nor ? Or something similar green with plastic clips and the Wilking sword survival knife .
I had a cheap survival knife where the catapult was on end of the scabbard .
That was only because I found £20 in the new forest as a kid
i know the one you mean, you could connect the knife to the scabbard to forma wire cutter, I wanted one for years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE