Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I think such a pouch is nowadays the better idea as a tin, because it disturbs less in the pockets of a jacket but it keeps all together too.
Bigger chance of having it when needed if it is easy to carry. A pouch like that (worn on the chest under clothing) can be wide and long and hold a lot of stuff although thin. A tin for pocket carry can not.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Problem with a tin or bottle is still need some sort of pouch/bag when use it to boil or carry water.

Though could wrap a waterproof pouch around the outside of the bottle and ranger band/tape it on.

I have also thought that , I have a mesh bag that fits inside the Bottle that allows one to 'empty' the contents but to still the carry it.

Reactions: Herman30

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
1 litre isn't so much.
The stuff fits into the pockets!

One could line the bottle with a freezer bag.

Burncycle

Jan 17, 2005
US
Most of my emergency items are distributed amongst my pockets these days so I don't often use a tin anymore, but I've enjoyed making tins through the years, finding smaller items and spending time figuring out clever ways to pack them. Here's my take on them...

I wanted something pocketable, and water was the driving requirement for size: I wanted a tin that would fit a couple of rolled up whirl pak 1 liter bags without folding or creasing, so I didn't have to divide my water purification tablets.

The classic "SAS" style tobacco tins were the right width and length, but were a bit too thick - this limited it to a cargo or jacket pocket, and if in a cargo pocket I found I could easily fill it with so many items that it would be deceptively heavy and uncomfortably bounce on my leg. I opted instead to divide the task and found a couple of gift card tins that were the same width and length as a tobacco tin, yet also the same depth as an altoids tin. Thanks to the reduced depth, the tins were lighter and thin enough I could put them in essentially any pocket of a good pair of cargo pants.

iiNJrFi.jpeg

tGOnji4.jpg

A simple bolt and wingnut connects the carbide sharpener to the leatherman saw to serve as a handle.

I've since made significant changes (Sierra saw blade, more cordage, multi-tool, mosquito headnet, etc) but haven't gotten around to taking pictures yet, I'll see about doing so this week

The paradox is that those who think to put together some sort of survival kits are also often the least likely to find themselves in a situation in which they would need one!

We do a lot of water related rescues, and while I have a bag in the boat I wanted an emergency shelter on my person in case I get separated from it. For that, I usually have a palmer furnace setup in my cargo pocket for all seasons except summer to serve as an emergency hypothermia shelter, and an emergency FAK in my other cargo pocket. Other bits and bobs include a PLB and mini orion signal flare on my PFD to supplement the other firestarting items (I usually also carry a Bic mini in my EDC, but if you're cold and wet a flare is nice)

L9j1OzO.jpg

DJf08bW.jpeg

Nothing fancy, but it worked pretty well in my testing down to 0C. The poncho is the same material as the SOL heatsheets, so it's a little tougher than most mylar blankets and has a reflective liner. Rubber bands are for closing the arm holes on the poncho. I've since added an inflatable xerovest.

If you store the candle with a bit of fluffed up tinder quik on the candle wick, you can light it with a spark which I'd imagine is nice if your hands are cold

BvJpFFn.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Where can I get these fishing springs?
How are they called correctly and who is the maker?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The only thing I really do is swap my bootlaces for this “survival” paracord. It has additional layers of waxed cord for fire lighting as well as cotton thread and fishing line.

I add heat shrink to the ends to poke it through the eyelets of my boots, it’s fairly useful and less likely to break a shoe lace too!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In another thread I was recently against it as EDC, hiking or traveling knife and recommended Compact or Climber for regular use.

But for such a little survival tin I think a Victorinox Farmer Alox or probably better Farmer X Alox (with the nail scissors) would perhaps be a good idea.

Saw to get dry or green wood,
Knife to process kindling and carve survival equipment,
Drill awl for making survival equipment and as ferrocerium rod striker,
Foot nail scissors.

It seems to have a lot attached what's needed in a survival situation.

Is it the Victorinox parachute survival knife?

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurentius

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Victorinox Walker would be an inexpensive option with tweezers, no awl or scissors though.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I recently watched survival tin threads in several forums. A lot of people pack a small saw without handle, often even a blade without handle.

But if I have no larger knife, no hatchet, no folding saw, the small saw becomes quiet handy.

Some times ago I needed a hazel stick as pole for my pyramide tent and had to cut it with the Victorinox knife blade. It worked, yes of course. But with the Victorinox saw I would have gotten it ten times faster.

And If I would need to make a fire, a pack frame, snow shoes or frog lance and so on, and all that in a hurry, the Victorinox saw could be life saving.

Fire wood I easily can break but green wood is something else...

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's genius!

Thank you!

My neighbour has a few gold fishes in the garden pond and went to visit his grandmother this week. So, I can try out these speedhooks immediatly.

:encourage:

Last edited:
Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE