Survival Tin, or Mini BC kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

ex member coconino

I encountered that exact same model of solar-powered torch last year when the outfit I was working for took delivery of several hundred. We found that once the battery is completely flat there's simply not enough oompf in the panel to get a charge on it again. I have one which works fine, but it's kept in the light so it never goes flat.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I encountered that exact same model of solar-powered torch last year when the outfit I was working for took delivery of several hundred. We found that once the battery is completely flat there's simply not enough oompf in the panel to get a charge on it again. I have one which works fine, but it's kept in the light so it never goes flat.

yeah, lol sounds about right- though I wasn't really expecting much for a quid, I'll be putting in a photon microlight asap to replace it

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
2011-01-09150223.jpg

I'm Very impressed with this, anybody got a pattern or technique on how to do this? cracking way to store paracord and a good way to keep my overflowing tin from splitting open in my bag :D

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I'm Very impressed with this, anybody got a pattern or technique on how to do this? cracking way to store paracord and a good way to keep my overflowing tin from splitting open in my bag :D

not that I know of I'm afraid I was just getting a bit busy with the ol' paracord...

I've woven it in a way that I can slip the tin out without having to unravel the whole thing, as its pretty tightly done it even keeps its own shape

2011-01-12151955.jpg

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ok i think i'll have a mess tonight, by the looks you simply wrapped around the width then wove the cord through those strands adding loops at the bottom to hold it?
the handle bit looks like extra yes?

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
Ok i think i'll have a mess tonight, by the looks you simply wrapped around the width then wove the cord through those strands adding loops at the bottom to hold it?
the handle bit looks like extra yes?

that's pretty much all there is to it, once you get going you'll find it takes a life of its own! it doesn't take long either I've just quickly thrown up another one around the tin my Silva Helios came
in...,
2010-12-13180618-1.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I used to lead expeds around the world the mini tin was my constant companion - on my person...not at the bottom of my bergan!
I have various sizes of "Bug out bag" dotted around - all aimed at having everything I need on hand when I need it.
They range in size from a van (!) to a 1st aid ouch pouch and an emergency poncho for mini trips up to my woods at the top of the village.
With the van kit I could stay away from home for quite a while - in comfort - other kits are aimed more at having a minimalist kit with me to deal with an unplanned stop out when on foot or bike.
I would go into detail but I have sold first publishing rights to my thoughts on Survival kits to a Motorcycle magazine! :)

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
If that solar torch is from pound land you'll find the torch is just a three led torch with some lithium batteries the solar panels isn't actually attached to anything...

My other hobby is taking things apart..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE