Survival Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I grew up hunting. When I was 14 we hunted an area we hadn't hunted before. I was always an explorer and walked way too far one day, and got myself turned around in a series of swamps and ridges. It was snowing, light wet snow - getting deep. As the day wained, it became apparent to me I wasn't going to get out that day.

My grandfather, imparting knowledge while telling campfire tales, had prepared me for the situation I found myself in. I built a fire to try and dry my damp clothes, but the wet snow was falling heavy enough to make it a lost cause.

In a thick grove, I gathered boughs, cedar and spruce, and made a matress two feet thick. I made a kind of lean-to over the matress with two feet of boughs on top. I lay on the matress and kicked the lean-to down on top of me. I was damp all night, but the boughs, above and below me, provided enough insulation so I made it through the night - even though the night time temps plummeted. It wasn't comfortable, but it was survival.

In the morning, crisp and cold, I dug myself out of the boughs and built a fire and partially dried my clothes. While the sun never really came out, the brightness in one portion of the sky gave me a decent aid as to direction. Using the two tree method, I walked in a straight line in the general direction I'd entered the forest. Along the way, I came on a nice young deer. I shot him, and started a fire to cook up some backstraps. I was just starting to eat when my grandfather and father showed up.

My father had been worried. My grandfather appeared not to be, and had told my father I would be fine. I received a lot of ribbing for this incident over the years, "Get everyone all worried, and there's Pierre, shot his deer, cooking it up, and living happy off the fat of the land."

It was a good way to impart wisdom, those campfire tales, and I've been glad, many times, I had a chance to listen to these bits of woodlore distilled into humourous stories.

PG

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
:D Cheers for that Pierre!

I just had a thought ... well, please don't take it wrong, but what about writing your memoires? (I know you are not that old :p ;) and are still alive and kicking). But in that way we could have all the information in one place, rather than scattered all over the forum, that's just a loss for all of us, wouldn't it. And it would be a good read: a story from someone who lived (lives) the life we all want.
;)

Just my 2 eurocents

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Ahjno said:
:D Cheers for that Pierre!

I just had a thought ... well, please don't take it wrong, but what about writing your memoires? (I know you are not that old :p ;) and are still alive and kicking). But in that way we could have all the information in one place, rather than scattered all over the forum, that's just a loss for all of us, wouldn't it. And it would be a good read: a story from someone who lived (lives) the life we all want.
;)

Just my 2 eurocents

"...a story from someone who lived (lives) the life we all want."

Don't I wish!!! You notice a good many of my stories are from my youth.

PG

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
That's hard Pierre, just when you should be easing back on this sort of thing.
But my mother had a saying, which I've tried to keep to all my life........

"If you can't make time for yourself, then before long you wo'nt be able to make time for anyone else"

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Pierre your stories always bring a smile to my face keep telling them :You_Rock_

Trouble is now you’ve started I want longer ones, fires side ones. Either your going to have to come and tell us your stories in person or we're going to have to come to you and listen to them :D
keep up the good work

James

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Strike Team said:
Can you tell me more about this navigation method?

Just a method for walking in a straight line. Pick out a tall tree in the direction you want to travel - and another in a straight line beyond it. When you get close to the first one, pick out another, in a straight line, beyond the second one. Not fool proof, but keeps you going (basically) in a straight line. Works best in hilly country.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE