Survival Kit for any situation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Spikey DaPikey said:
...I using National Express alot now, mainly going up/down the M6, so after getting stuck on the coach for 8 1/2 hours one time (bad smash J16) i always carry some food, water, mp3 player and a book !!

Hello Spikey DaPikey,

Love National Express! I took my London Underground Kit (See above) or LUK, as I now call it, on a recent trip to Birmingham for exactly the kind of situation you describe. I made several modifications to the FAK (Mm…this has possibilities for a new acronym) including haemoid cream and pressure sore dressings to help with all the sitting down to be done :)

Next time I’ll be taking some Velcro attachments with me too, for fixing my trousers to the seats. On a number of occasions, when the driver hit the brakes to avoid colliding with other vehicles, I very nearly ended up on the floor, as my bottom shot forward across the leather seats like an ice hockey puck under the violent momentum :)

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Dear Forum,

Following on from a previous post of mine, I think I’ve found a new set jargon/distress signals worth developing for use in survival situations, for those who have tendencies to ‘bug’, be that ‘in’ or ‘out’:

B.U.G.G.E.R.O.F.F. = I’m egressing the vehicle/building/locale.

B.U.G.G.E.R.A.R.O.U.N.D. = I'm preparing to evacuate.

B.U.G.G.E.R.M.E. = I need immediate rescue and extraction from this situation/locale.

I’m sure that there are more possibilities to develop this new distress code, but I feel I should stop at this point before I really get out of hand :)

By the way, if anyone knows the Morse for the above, I’d be grateful. Thanks.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Dear Forum,

I am please to report I have survived the mini-tornado that swept through north-west London earlier today, as reported by BBC Radio 4 News.

I opted to ‘Bug-In’.

I survived with nothing more than a Nanok Air Jacket, cotton sweater, denim jeans, long cotton underwear (Yes I know ‘cotton kills’!), wool socks, and a pair of casual suede slip-ons from Debenhams (Comfy), and the left-over roast beef from last night’s repast.

Naturally I scrambled in preparedness to egress to the pre-arranged RV with the Local Authority’s Civil Crisis Centre, which I’m happy to relate has now been stood-down.

I think you’ll all agree I’ve had a lucky escape! <phew>

Message Ends.

Best regards,
Paul :)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
The area I live in was evacuated back in 1993 when the nearby factory caught fire, my know wife was also evacuated as she was living closer than me at the time, it wasn't for long as it was soon brought under control, still very nasty and cost the lives of two firefighters.

LS

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Spikey DaPikey said:
We seem to be getting more of these :eek:

I’m no meteorological expert (Although it is a fascinating subject) but I wouldn’t be surprised if our changing weather patterns were linked to those taking place in the Gulf of Mexico.

I know that it has long been understood that the Gulf Stream affects our weather patterns here in the UK. But I’m not sure whether the more unusual weather events that get reported are as a result of an increase in frequency, or that there is more interest and awareness in weather conditions these days (?).

Best regards,
Paul.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Martyn said:
Tornado? We do get em, little cute ones. One made national news last year in Birmingham because a garden shed got damaged and some tiles fell off a roof or something. Threat to life and limb? Virtually nil.

I.

Oerrr :rolleyes:

What's the odds on a White Xmas Martyn? ;) :p

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
madrussian said:
Your cute little tornados are getting uglier already. I just read the article on CNN. Fortunately no one was killed.

I think their size is limited by geography. The british Isles doesnt have the adequate land mass to produce the really big tornadoes. The changing climate may see them springing up more often, but their size and destructive power is limited in the UK.

..at least i think so. I photographed a small waterspout on holiday last year and briefly read up on tornadoes, I'm sure I read about the requirement of a land mass big enough to produce the huge supercells neded to make the big tornadoes.

Could be wrong, I often am. :)

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
"B.U.G.G.E.R.O.F.F. I m egressing the vehicle/building/locale" in Morse code is:
-... .-.-.- ..- .-.-.- --. .-.-.- --. .-.-.- . .-.-.- .-. .-.-.- --- .-.-.- ..-. .-.-.- ..-. .-.-.- / .. / -- / . --. .-. . ... ... .. -. --. / - .... . / ...- . .... .. -.-. .-.. . -..-. -... ..- .. .-.. -.. .. -. --. -..-. .-.. --- -.-. .- .-.. .

"B.U.G.G.E.R.A.R.O.U.N.D. I'm preparing to evacuate. " in Morse code is:
-... .-.-.- ..- .-.-.- --. .-.-.- --. .-.-.- . .-.-.- .-. .-.-.- .- .-.-.- .-. .-.-.- --- .-.-.- ..- .-.-.- -. .-.-.- -.. .-.-.- / .. .----. -- / .--. .-. . .--. .- .-. .. -. --. / - --- / . ...- .- -.-. ..- .- - . .-.-.-

"B.U.G.G.E.R.M.E. I need immediate rescue and extraction from this situation/locale. " in Morse code is:
-... .-.-.- ..- .-.-.- --. .-.-.- --. .-.-.- . .-.-.- .-. .-.-.- -- .-.-.- . .-.-.- / .. / -. . . -.. / .. -- -- . -.. .. .- - . / .-. . ... -.-. ..- . / .- -. -.. / . -..- - .-. .- -.-. - .. --- -. / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... .. ... / ... .. - ..- .- - .. --- -. -..-. .-.. --- -.-. .- .-.. . .-.-.-

Reactions: TheGreenMan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the translator link :You_Rock_

.... --- .-- / -- .- -. -.-- / --- ..-. / ..- ... / -.. --- / -. --- - / -. . . -.. / - .... . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / ..--..

I don't ;)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
zackerty said:
"B.U.G.G.E.R.O.F.F. I m egressing the vehicle/building/locale" in Morse code is:
-... .-.-.- ..- .-.-.- --. .-.-.- --. .-.-.- . .-.-.- .-. .-.-.- --- .-.-.- ..-. .-.-.- ..-. .-.-.- / .. / -- / . --. .-. . ... ... .. -. --. / - .... . / ...- . .... .. -.-. .-.. . -..-. -... ..- .. .-.. -.. .. -. --. -..-. .-.. --- -.-. .- .-.. .

"B.U.G.G.E.R.A.R.O.U.N.D. I'm preparing to evacuate. " in Morse code is:
-... .-.-.- ..- .-.-.- --. .-.-.- --. .-.-.- . .-.-.- .-. .-.-.- .- .-.-.- .-. .-.-.- --- .-.-.- ..- .-.-.- -. .-.-.- -.. .-.-.- / .. .----. -- / .--. .-. . .--. .- .-. .. -. --. / - --- / . ...- .- -.-. ..- .- - . .-.-.-

"B.U.G.G.E.R.M.E. I need immediate rescue and extraction from this situation/locale. " in Morse code is:
-... .-.-.- ..- .-.-.- --. .-.-.- --. .-.-.- . .-.-.- .-. .-.-.- -- .-.-.- . .-.-.- / .. / -. . . -.. / .. -- -- . -.. .. .- - . / .-. . ... -.-. ..- . / .- -. -.. / . -..- - .-. .- -.-. - .. --- -. / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... .. ... / ... .. - ..- .- - .. --- -. -..-. .-.. --- -.-. .- .-.. . .-.-.-

Hello zacerty,

Thanks, I’m much obliged to you, and the Moderators for indulging me so much on this thread :D

Nice URL, zackerty.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
rik_uk3 said:
.... --- .-- / -- .- -. -.-- / --- ..-. / ..- ... / -.. --- / -. --- - / -. . . -.. / - .... . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / ..--..

I don't ;)

May I ask if this a skill you have acquired as a personal interest, or did you need to learn Morse for professional reasons, rik?

Best regards,
Paul.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Martyn said:
Tornado? We do get em, little cute ones. .

_42400528_tornado203.jpg

More than 100 homes were damaged and about 20 were left uninhabitable when the storm hit Kensal Rise on Thursday.

Insurance assessors are continuing to assess the damage which is expected to cost millions of pounds to repair.

Brent Council said it was working to get people back in their homes as soon as possible but safety was a priority.

"A lot of residents decided they would rather go and stay with family and friends," a Brent Council spokeswoman said.

"Overnight the fire brigade was working to ensure that the area was safe. There is still a lot of debris on the ground."

Clearly a definiton of "cute" I was previously unware of ;)

Red

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
British Red said:
_42400528_tornado203.jpg

More than 100 homes were damaged and about 20 were left uninhabitable when the storm hit Kensal Rise on Thursday.

Insurance assessors are continuing to assess the damage which is expected to cost millions of pounds to repair.

Brent Council said it was working to get people back in their homes as soon as possible but safety was a priority.

"A lot of residents decided they would rather go and stay with family and friends," a Brent Council spokeswoman said.

"Overnight the fire brigade was working to ensure that the area was safe. There is still a lot of debris on the ground."

Clearly a definiton of "cute" I was previously unware of ;)

Red

Well, you have to admire the spookiness of my timing if not my understament. :D

Seriously, that is about as bad as it gets here and events like that are extremely rare. We get tornado's mostly of much smaller size about 60 times a year, in America, they number in the 1000's and almost all are far more severe than the one that hit London.

pathabv.jpg

I apologise for the understatement.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
TheGreenMan said:
May I ask if this a skill you have acquired as a personal interest, or did you need to learn Morse for professional reasons, rik?

Best regards,
Paul.

I grew up with my step father, an old timer as a radio ham, now alas, silent key G5IW/GW5IW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE