survival bag advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I understand the reasoning for the gas mask now. :eek:

I suppose if I lived in Tornado Alley I would have a grab bag for in case the house is hit. I would also have some guns if I lived in LA in case of riot. And maybe some other stuff If I lived in NY. Maybe an open boat if I lived in New Orleans.

I have candles and tinned food for in case of a power failure here, happened once.

I was taught in primary school what to do if the Atomic Bombing happened.:)

Nick

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
Don't want to cause a rukas but are you seriously expecting something to happen that would mean you'd need all that stuff? Do you live and work in the middle of nowhere? If so the chances of you being hit by a terrorist attack are so amazingly slim that you may as well worry about random planes simply falling out of the sky and landing on you. If you live and work in a large town chances are this will all be in your car and you'll not get to it soon enough. to put a downer on your plans but don't you think you're being a little paranoid?

I'm not hoping or expecting to use it, I pray that I never have to. But it is defenately in my interest to be prepared. I figure throw a bag together and it will always be there just in case. I'm sure lots of people see it as being paranoid, but i see it as only a little bit of effort now with potentially life saving effects.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My advice if you are going on a long hike is to take every item out of your bag and weigh it.

Now look at the weight and compare it to the likely hood of you using it.

Survival equipment should be light, otherwise it will increase your risk factor by being over loaded.

Rations for three weeks will be heavy enough to carry even if you are supplimenting it with fish and game on the way. (It is wise to work on the assumption that you will not catch anything at all, if you do it is a bonus, not part of your staple rations) Although lacking in variety cous cous is probably the lightest form of palatable food to carry.

You haven't mentioned sleeping arrangements or shelter but I trust you have thought about them.

I presume the pot is for cooking but what about carrying water. Lack of water will kill you long before lack of food even in temperate conditions.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
you sould make 2 bags a grab bag for your home or car with the 9/11 type stuff in
and a bushcraft bag for camping
a gas mask won't be much use in the woods as there's no cnn or fox to tell you to put it on
and by then it will be too late unless some calls you with a mask on and that would be one mad phone call
likewise a fishing kit is no good in a city
best to make 2 i think

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yep, think i would agree with some of the above,

1. Compass and map's
2. Tarp /hammock /bivvy bag (delete as applicable)
3. Rations
4. Millbank bag or medium/large capacity bladder (MSR type thing)
5. Sleeping bag
6. Weatherproof / waterproof overclothing
7. Hats (boonie for sun and rain if it is proofed, watch cap for the cold)
8. Karabiners
9. wire coat hanger (folds up nice and small, unfolds easy, many uses)
10. Mini binoculars

there are many others. Just an idea, why don't you pack what you think you need and go away for the weekend, not too far away from home. By the time you get home you should have a list of what you did not use and a list of what you needed but did not have. That way you will have a more realistic idea of what you need. Remember, there is a difference between what you need and what you want. This is what the Voyagers did in Canada when they set of from their home camp on a route, a couple of miles down stream, set up camp, if something is missing, send a canoe back up stream to get it, it was not far.;)

Without going into the 'respirator/gasmask' argument, if the gas mask is deemed too extravagant, you could consider NBC facelets; these are similar to surgical masks and were designed for emergencies. They are to be worn when a respirator is not imediately to hand and they fold up nice and small. This would allow you to, in the event of an NBC attack, be orally protected until you could find the nearest cover (or a cache containing respirator and NBC clothing). Just an option.:D

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
awesome suggestions, thanks. About the caribener, I know its a peice of rock climbing/ descending equipment, but im not sure exactly how it is used, can someone enlighten me, thanks!!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Karabiners have many different uses. Clip things together for river crossings, clip things to your Bergan, there are many types as well. Please remember that some are weight bearing and some are not. Do not use non-weight bearing one's to climb etc. If your in 'bear' country you could use one to attach your food bag to the rope before hoisting it, saves on knot work. As said before, they can be used for tarps and hammocks or anything else you can think of!

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
A little word of advice on the gasmask; the military uses them, but in conjunction with a detection device. Most types of chemicals used in attacks are colorless & ordorless. Even if they Do have color/odor, by the time you don a mask, it is most likely too late. HAving spent 12 years as an infanryman, I can tell you from experience that, short of wearing it 24/7, without some kind of detection device, you are pretty much screwed. They issue atropine to troops not to cure them from a chemical attack, but to speed up their metabolism & get a few extra hours of life out of them. Chances are, if you're at ground zero during a chemical attack, you will suffer the symptoms. Outside of it, it will either be dissipated by the wind, or you'll have enough time to evacuate. Chemical attacks are VERY target-specific, as they have a limited exposure life due to the environment.
Now, as far as practical skills & books, I highly recommend the SAS survival handbook by John Lofty Wiseman. And, practice the life saving things first; building fire, making shelter, procuring water. Best of luck to ya!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Outside of it, it will either be dissipated by the wind, or you'll have enough time to evacuate. Chemical attacks are VERY target-specific, as they have a limited exposure life due to the environment..

That's why birdflu is so bad, it can last a long time as it's the humans/birds that pass it on.
What about that Asian thing when folk were wearing masks all the time in public ? Just did a bit of browsing and found this http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7261

And further reading here
http://www.who.int/csr/delibepidemics/en/

Now, as far as practical skills & books, I highly recommend the SAS survival handbook by John Lofty Wiseman.

Aye, and it's available pocket size, Collins (scottish) Publishers. A great wee read.:cool:

Nick

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
True, I was talking specifically about chemical weapons. As far as flu-like stuff, thats a different story. A simple paper mask would most likely work. However, I think he was referring more to a chemical attack, and, I am assuming here, a military type gas mask.

Of course, the best defense against the flu is to do exactly what I do; walk around telling everyone you NEVER get sick ;) Denial can be a wonderful medicine.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
bio hazard can not be stopped by just having a gasmask or paper mask.

If you are going to wear something to protect you self from flu, a FFP2 or FFP3 (N95 and N100 for the yanks) standard masks. These mask will stop the tiny droplets, which the virus uses to spread around. but a mask it self is not enough. Since you got to eat, drink, etc. The greatest hazards are you hands, wash them properly. Before touching anything (not just food) and be aware of cross contamination. Proper discipline will be more importent than just the mask.

As for the gasmask against chemical attacks, as a civilian, your always to late, since you can not physically detect it. Proper decontamination and simply walking in the right direction in to the fresh air is much more important, than a mask. If i ever see a person with just a mask and no suit, gloves and boots walking past a HotZone line, i will kick him back, rip the masks off and drag him to decon. Because that person is a danger for him self and others, he will contaminate others in the clean zone. (well atleast if i'm wearing the right gear...)

I don't know if decontamination protocols are free for access in the states or in britain. I do know that it is public in the Netherlands, know why, because i let somebody put in on the site of the ministery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE