Whats in your bugout bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have to say, that at the risk of being flamed, "bug out bags" in the urban UK (as opposed to seriously remote parts) are a waste of time?

Bug out from what exactly?

If the balloon really does go up then 3 days of dehydrated food and all the kit in the world is going to make no difference to your survival chances. I live near a nuclear power station, so the first I will know of anything is when my house vaporises!

You are much better off with a shotgun and all the cartridges you can stash.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The one thing you're going to need is paperwork.
The main reasons for bugging out are things like flooding/fire/etc.
Photocopies of birth certificates, insurance docs, medical docs, house deeds, mortgage paperwork, passports, etc.
A quantity of cash in useable denominations too.
Spare glasses (if you wear them) medications, that sort of thing.
A bag with this sort of thing in it is far more useful, and far more likely to be used, than the usual "Zombiepocalypse Survival Kit" that we see in these threads.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Also to place the bag where you might exit the house from, no point putting it in your car as that could be stolen, but think where you would be most likely to head in the event of say a flood if that's likely in your area is the nearest high ground out the front door or back door? if you have a fire will it be most likely to happen in the front or back of the house, if you have a power cut, can you find the kitchen drawer with the torch in? or do you have a small light a batts in every room? why not i identify a common bottle neck where you would most likely pass in any house leaving event and have your bob there, with a couple of blankets, some nibbles and the bits suggested by GrahamS, along with a phone charger and battery charger for your torch batts,.

and the thing never mentioned in any of these threads, a camera! if your going out into a brave new world, why not document it, you could even enter the country file photo comp and win a calendar!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The one thing you're going to need is paperwork.
The main reasons for bugging out are things like flooding/fire/etc.
Photocopies of birth certificates, insurance docs, medical docs, house deeds, mortgage paperwork, passports, etc.
A quantity of cash in useable denominations too.
Spare glasses (if you wear them) medications, that sort of thing.
A bag with this sort of thing in it is far more useful, and far more likely to be used, than the usual "Zombiepocalypse Survival Kit" that we see in these threads.

Ah, right, now I'm with you.

I agree, that kind of stuff is much more useful and realistic. A colleague of mine used to work in the US and several of his workmates had the full "Zombiepocalypse" stuff for when "they" came calling. They also tended to be NRA nutters as well.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I wouldn't mind betting that as a large sample size, there are a few members here who would tool up for the apocalypse if they could...

"Did I fire six shots or only five?"

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Yet another BOB thread filled with meaningless noise about zombies, condescension and lots of "you don't want to do that".

Bushcraft? Why sleep in the woods when you have a house? Why kill and eat animals when you can buy meat sealed in cling-film on a styrofoam tray in the supermarket? Why forage plants when you can buy sterile, packaged lettuce dripping with pesticides flown in direct from Spain? For that matter, why do anything other than staying at home on your Argos sofa watching the X-Factor? Give me a break...

Oh well, there's other places that give these kind of discussions more intelligent and useful contributions.

Last edited:

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I really need to make a grab bag with important docs and suchlike in. And to make a back up someplace else; knowing me I would have all my docs in one bag and it would be the first thing to catch fire, or have a pipe burst above it, or would end up stolen!

I wonder if keeping it all on a USB, password protected at a relative's place is a good idea, or if it would just be even more vulnerable to damp, smoke, or power outages...

Answers on a postcard please!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I wonder if keeping it all on a USB, password protected at a relative's place is a good idea, or if it would just be even more vulnerable to damp, smoke, or power outages...

Use TruCrypt, make a bunch, wrap in foil and pack them in a waterproof manner, mai, to fairly trusted friends and relatives all over the country (what is he cost of making a few copies more?). As is I would not trust them to survive much (but one copy in your wallet might come in handy one day).

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Bushcraft? Why sleep in the woods when you have a house? Why kill and eat animals when you can buy meat sealed in cling-film on a styrofoam tray in the supermarket? Why forage plants when you can buy sterile, packaged lettuce dripping with pesticides flown in direct from Spain? For that matter, why do anything other than staying at home on your Argos sofa watching the X-Factor? Give me a break..

"Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family.
Choose a f'n big television, choose washing machines, cars,
compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good
health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed
interest mortage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your
friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a
three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of f'n fabrics.
Choose DIY and wondering who the f you are on a Sunday morning.
Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing
game shows, stuffing f'n junk food into your mouth. Choose
rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable
home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f'd up
brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future.
Choose life.

that's not what I chose. I chose something else.

I chose.... bushcraft! (ahem) "
:p

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Choose Life. Choose a hobby. Choose a career. Choose a dog.
Choose a f'n knife, choose backpacks, stoves,
Ti pots and down sleeping bags. Choose good
health, high cholesterol and first aid kits. Choose a
house with a backyard and weeds. Choose a Gränsfors axe. Choose
your friends. Choose DPM clothes and matching bashas. Choose Swandri
for hundreds of pounds in matching colours in a choice of f'n styles.
Choose DIY and wondering what the f it is going to end up like.
Choose sleeping in a hammock, listening to magpies and grey squirrels,
stuffing greasy bannock into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end
of it all, pishing your last in a overpriced pair of boots, nothing more
than an embarrassment to the selfish, f'd up brats you spawned to replace
yourself.
Choose your future.
Choose bushcraft.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
To be honest, come apocalypse, get bus, taxi, train or whatever to some other area. Be it friends, a hotel, abroad, whatever.
With the weather we are currently experiencing, no one is rushing out to the woods out of choice.
Best people to ask about a bag are those that travel significant distances for work i.e. oil industry. They have as much as possible but carry as little as possible.
Documents, cash & cards, spare clothes, wash kits, repair/bodge kits, entertainments. They still get things at their destination, but have enough for when they are significantly delayed.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Best people to ask about a bag are those that travel significant distances for work i.e. oil industry. They have as much as possible but carry as little as possible..."

I am occasionally travelling a fair distance to put bread on the table, the best advice I have is to always be able to keep yourself dry and warm with the stuff you are wearing or carrying in your hand luggage. Everything else you can usually pick up up quite easily, but there are few things worse than coming in on a delayed flight to find no more buses, no more taxis, the airport doors are closing, your hold luggage in a different city and a four mile walk through a cold rainy night into town. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE