Whats in your bugout bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg598

Native
I've never seen the need for a traditional BOB either. I've always found them to be silly because they provide you with resources for vague situations that will never occur.

As others have mentioned, there are realistic BOB kits you can have. The main ones are if you have to leave your house due to a flood or fire. In such cases you need your important documents, flashlight, cash, and most likely a sleeping bag. You will probably end up in a relocation area that is already set up for disaster relief, and have to wait there. You are not bugging out into the woods to live there for a year because your house got flooded.

It is also likely that your area may lose poser for a week or two. In such cases what you need is cash, flashlight, warm blankets, and canned food. Then you just stay home and play board games.

On the other hand, if society has collapsed to such an extent that you need to bug out to the woods and live there, you don't need a BOB, you need guns and lots of ammo. The rest you will get fairly quickly.

And, if one is planning on bugging out into the woods, just take your regular backpacking gear. With my backpacking gear, which is about 14lb total, I can stay out in the woods for as long as I have food. You don't need anything special, unless, again, society has somehow collapsed, in which case you need guns and lost of ammo.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I think I will put one together to use in the event of fire/flood etc with all the important docs in etc and a few basic items to help with comfort etc. Most of my posessions can be easily replaced but there are some which would be difficult.

I have seen something in the past where people took photos of their prized possessions and that then helped then to be replaced by the insurance, may be a good idea to put in if you have to get out in a hurry and don't have the time to collect up all the expensive bits and heirlooms etc.

rg598

Native
I think I will put one together to use in the event of fire/flood etc with all the important docs in etc and a few basic items to help with comfort etc. Most of my posessions can be easily replaced but there are some which would be difficult.

I have seen something in the past where people took photos of their prized possessions and that then helped then to be replaced by the insurance, may be a good idea to put in if you have to get out in a hurry and don't have the time to collect up all the expensive bits and heirlooms etc.

Wow, wow, wow! You are getting way too practical here. You'll kill all the fun of making BOBs. Knives and guns, man; knives and guns! ;)

I think you are spot on with a realistic BOB.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

If you look at photographs covering the aftermath of a disaster of whatever type, you will often see people trying to collect together family photographs, letters and documents. Only night owls like me have the time to sit and scan a hundred odd years of family photos and documents however for everyone else there are companies who will do it for you, it isn't particularly expensive and they will often package up your shoebox of old photos into a nice album and print off duplicates as needed. So you do not have to have the original photo of your great great grandmother hanging on the wall, it can be packed away safely some place.

:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've never seen the need for a traditional BOB either. I've always found them to be silly because they provide you with resources for vague situations that will never occur. .

Rather like Bushcraft equipment in that respect then :) Both are a big old game of "lets pretend" - a modern person doesn't need a BoB or a hammock ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE