Surplus and Adventure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'm not going to go into too much detail about this but basically I've been waiting 3 months for an order for a smock, a shirt and a bottle of meths from surplusandadventure.com

Grr. I've sent numerous e-mails and phoned today and always the same excuse.

Just wanted to vent my rage :soapbox:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Does seem a long time to wait,:confused: why not just cancel your order and get a refund?

Also; why are you buying meths mail order?
I always get mine from B&Q or similar such places.
Is it a large quantity they are supplying?

cheers
R.B.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
I must admit, I'd never have thought of B&Q or similar for buying meths. I always go down to Cotswold Outdoor, as its a couple of miles down the road from me.
Must try my local Focus or Homebase.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well, I'd ordered 4 items in total one of which was for SWMBO, her item and the smock turned up (with a note saying the shirt and meths would follow shortly) and although the measurements on the website seemed fine the sleeves ended up being too short so I had to spend £4 to send it back for a larger size. I had an e-mail saying that they would send all three remaining items together and they were waiting on a stock delivery that should arrive within 10 days and they would e-mail me once they had sent my items.
Two weeks passed so I sent them an e-mail and again "waiting on a stock delivery which should arrive within 10 days" Sent them another e-mail after those 10 days and same message again. Phoned them up today and they pretty much said the same thing.

The reason I ordered meths was I needed some and thought rather than go out of my way to get some from a store I don't normally go to I'd just get it from there. I don't want a refund is I'll never see the money from having to send the smock back again, it doesn't sound like much but for someone who doesn't have a lot of money it is!

I'm really disappointed, I've really needed those bits of kit as I don't have very much :(

Oh and as a final sting in the tail on their website they have a sticker saying "100% customer satisfaction guaranteed" well not for me!

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Your not the only person too have problems with them tbh. My order took a good while to arrive. I wouldn't order from them again.

As for meths I usually just get it from my local pharmacy.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Personally, I reckon you've done the right thing. Look back through the site history here and you'll see plenty of other threads about the same and I believe they even have a member of their customer support (!) on here as a member. I had an issue with another mail order company, and they sent me an extra piece of kit to repay me for their mistake on an item ordered. That to me is good service, and it was prompt delivery. I'd call them up and tell them what you want - your kit promptly and an extra bottle of meths thrown in for your troubles. That is the very least they can do considering the hassle they have caused you. If they say no, they get bad publicity here. If they say yes then they get a bit of good publicity for once!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
If an item offered for sale is not as described (ie, size) you are legally entitled to a refund of your postage costs to return such items.

The store should of course know this, as it forms part of the Distance Selling, Consumer Protection Legislation!

It may be worth reminding them!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Personally, I reckon you've done the right thing. Look back through the site history here and you'll see plenty of other threads about the same and I believe they even have a member of their customer support (!) on here as a member. I had an issue with another mail order company, and they sent me an extra piece of kit to repay me for their mistake on an item ordered. That to me is good service, and it was prompt delivery. I'd call them up and tell them what you want - your kit promptly and an extra bottle of meths thrown in for your troubles. That is the very least they can do considering the hassle they have caused you. If they say no, they get bad publicity here. If they say yes then they get a bit of good publicity for once!

Spam's right, this store has had nothing but bad vibes from members on here. I go to the store personally as i live localish and have had the same rubbish service, they even tried to rip me off price wise one time. I went in about a month and a half ago and it seemed to be stock by only Gelert products which to me speaks volumes.

If you want prompt and excellent customer service i can recommend Surplusandoutdoors.

;)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
If you paid using a credit card then you are entitled to a full refund under the consumer credit act. Just call your issuer and raise a dispute over the transaction.

Tobes

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Sort of true. The trouble is that to claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, the goods need to be over £100 as far as I'm aware, but I'm no expert. I have used this successfully in the past though, when a company I'd ordered from went through.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
To be honest I'd rather just have the gear than a refund, the smock especially as the local surplus doesn't have any near that price. I did manage to get a flecktarn zip-up german army shirt and some woodland camo trousers for £15 from there though.

I'm just gonna have to wait and rant some more on here so no one else orders from them until they sharpen up their at :D

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
To be honest I'd rather just have the gear than a refund, the smock especially as the local surplus doesn't have any near that price. I did manage to get a flecktarn zip-up german army shirt and some woodland camo trousers for £15 from there though.

I'm just gonna have to wait and rant some more on here so no one else orders from them until they sharpen up their at :D

Why not try Endicotts, nearer to you i think ?

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I was about to suggest Endicott's:D Excellent range in stock and first class service, and a really nice crew to deal with. (no connection - blah blah, just a happy customer:) )

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
endicott's is too far for me to travel and I'm slowly going off buying mail order

Endicotts will restore your faith! Give them a ring in future, you won't look back!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
endicott's is too far for me to travel and I'm slowly going off buying mail order :aargh4:

Try these guys mate. Excellent service both mail order and in the shop face to face.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/

when i was deciding which doss bag to get i had a few out on the floor in the shop on a Saturday afternoon, and they were busy !!! Same thing when i bought my jungle bag. I reccomend them through personal experience.

With the other place they take yor money then wait till they have the items in stock, not a good business practice for the customer.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They are so well known for this that it's become a standard moan :sigh:

Eventually I find I do get all of my order, and it is cheap, no getting away from that, but don't expect it soonish :rolleyes:

It actually becomes a pleasant surprise to find a prezzie waiting for me that I had long forgotten ordering.

Is it good service ? :rolleyes: No.
Do we know this ? :eek: Yes.
Do we still get the urge to buy a bargain from them ? :headbang:

Might be time to have a Who do you Recommend thread, rather than who not to ?

cheers,
Toddy

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Might be time to have a Who do you Recommend thread, rather than who not to
Toddy

Good idea Toddy, but some folk buy before reading the posts. lol Prevention is better than cure in my book. I still go in there occasionally as its not too far from where i live and i actually get to see the gear i'm after. Deffo wouldn't mail order from there. On the other hand the last post i put up i would mail order from them, but i only live 20-30 mins drive from the shop so i go in person, lol :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE