Rough and ready sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Just thought I'd post a few photos of a sheath I knocked up today for a knife I've pretty much abused for the last 3 or so years that's never had a sheath.

It is also my first time using Fiebing's oil dye instead of the normal dye, I used walnut.

Semi wet formed, only on the outer facing side of the sheath, so when stitched it pops into the sheath when fully inserted.

I only used one needle as its the only one I've got at the moment that will fit the 0.8mm waxed cotton I used.

I quite like the rough and ready look I ended up with. The leather was a bit battered as it was a bit of 12x12 veg tan I've had lying about for ages.

I also like how the oil dye leaves the leather soft. It gives it a very matte finish. I used my usual, good old neutral Kiwi shoe polish. I just light it on fire and melted it a bit and liberally applied it with a brush and it sucked it in, then buffed it off with with another brush. It left it with a really nice finish.

It also comes off your fingers way better with a bit of meths.

As for the knife its one of a few 01 Enzo Trappers I have. As I say I've mistreated it more than the rest, more to see what it can do, well within reason, I just can't miss teat a knife too badly, especially one I'm a BIG fan of. It'll still pop hairs like after my first propper sharpen of the blade. I got the blank and then got some fake ivory scales and red liners of good old e bay. I deliberately haven't made a sheath for it till now as I wanted to see how it would hold up, other than the odd time I've taken it out with me it's stayed in my kitchen. Used for everything from cutting up potatos to opening tins with the tip, as I found out scandi tips make short work of it, bit like a really meaty SAK.

The most maintenance I've done to is is give the blade a one over now and then with wire wool to clean a bit of rust off and the odd sharpen and strop, more often than not all it needs is a good strop. Plus I gave it a once over on the Trizact A6 (2000 grit) belt I got for my 1x30 belt sander. Great belt by the way. puts a great edge on everything, especially some folders I've given a once over on it.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That came out real nice, good job mate.

I reall need to start sheathing some of my knives I've made.. not sure I can afford all the leather though.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
That came out real nice, good job mate.

I reall need to start sheathing some of my knives I've made.. not sure I can afford all the leather though.

Thanks.

I recently did a bit of looking around to see if its much cheaper just to pay more and get a bigger chunk in one go instead of getting the odd bits off ebay.

It looks like it is. I think I'll be getting something like one of these 2:

http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/search/searchresults/99606-01.aspx Plus they do loads more.

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-S...066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf916cdfa

It would be nice to know I've got more than enough leather do to any little projects that come to mind without having to wait for some to arrive in the post.

EDIT: I forgot to mention its 3mm thick leather I used.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE