Surgical spirit for feet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but can't think what other section it would come under. Basically, I've read and heard that before you do any serious trekking where the likelyhood of blisters is high its good to use surgical spirit on your feet to toughen the skin, is this true?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The Surgical Spirit trick's and old one of military origin I believe. And a wash of the feet twice a day over a period of weeks will indeed harden the skin, though as Xylaria says the skin will dry out. You'd be MUCH better off getting decent footwear and socks that fit properly and work together, and doing enough walking to naturally toughen up your feet. Build up to it by increasing distances and loads carried.

The chemical route can lead to hacks and cracks which are just as bad if not worse than blisters.

Good luck,
GB.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I've heard of using olive oil and surgical spirit to get a balance to prevent the cracking, never tried it myself though, I just wear either one or two pairs of socks dependent on the boots and the journey.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I did a 60 mile walk a couple of years ago and did the surgical spirit thing.

Even with great footwear, well broken in, blisters were a problem. The experienced guys doing the trip used a sort of Elastoplast stuck to their feet any where the foot came into contact with the shoe.

The photos of our feet afterwards were like something out of a medical book. I lost 3 toe nails too.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
For the TGO Challenge I did in May, we covered around 180 miles and I only had two tiny blisters- one on the second smallest toes on both feet. I tried pretty religiously to take my shoes and socks off at every rest /brew stop and let them air. I also rubbed gehwol extra foot cream in and then some foot powder before putting back on the often wet socks and shoes again. My mate didn't and had massive blisters from day 2. On day 10 he took his socks and shoes off at a brew stop to change dressings and commented how nice it was to let his feet breathe.... I just smiled smugly as he'd laughed at my routines at the beginning! Gehwol Extra morning and at breaks, Gehwol Balm at the end of the day before changing into dry socks.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Until I was 25 I didn't drive and walked everywhere, unless I was lucky enough to get a lift. Feet become accustomed to what ever it is you do with them in the footwear you wear. If you pick up blisters it's because your feet are unaccustomed to distance and or the footwear. The best way to harden up the feet is to use them. If you walk 10 miles 3 times a week in the same set up for a few weeks then you should manage 50 in one go with no or little ill effect.

If you feel the onset of a blister; applying a elastoplast to the spot can prevent it being realised. Has to be preemptive to be most effective but elastoplast will help one to keep going should the feet become blistered, nippy though. Eventually those spots that are prone to blistering will callous up to the job.

A surgical spirit wash for the feet is of little value in my opinion, great for cleaning though. Lots of walking and careful preemptive attention to blister prone spots is the quickest way to get your feet accustomed to both distance and the chosen footwear.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
As mentioned by Kiltedpict I use Gehwol Footcream. I use trail shoes pretty much year round and so my feet spend the day getting wet, drying out a bit, then getting wet again etc. I find airing my feet as soon as I make camp and applying Gehwol cream on an evening and again in the morning keeps my feet feeling fresh.

Could just be that I've found a pair of trail shoes that fit me very well, the fact they breathe a lot better than boots, that my feet are cooler in them, or a combination of all 3 and more but I'm yet to have a blister since switching to them. Did a 75km day walk 2 weeks ago and my feet were swollen and aching the next day but no sore spots or blisters :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Would methylated spirit from the stove supply do as well as surgical spirit?

I've read previously that meths does work in the same way but it's not something I'd ever do. It stinks, it's highly flammable, plus if your skin is damaged it'll be absorbed in to the body, which isn't good

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
We didn't have time to remove footwear at rest stops although ultimately had to just to drain blisters. Only water pick up points every 2 hours and then a break for lunch. Stop and change socks when you can

Feet were swollen by day two and releasing laces was a essential to release cramped feet.

Numerous 16 mile walks in preparation didn't set us up for the 30 mile middle day.

One of the things I would definitely do differently is take more than one type of footwear. My Brasher walking trainers were great till the weather turned bad. Then I wanted my Boots. They would also give hotspots and sore bits a chance to heal by having potentially different touch points. In the evening a pair of Crocs or flip flops would have been amazing.

Hope the following doesn't offend. 2 are my buddy Pete and one is me.

6ady2a4u.jpg

vyta7ame.jpg

2u5y9ase.jpg

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
We didn't have time to remove footwear at rest stops although ultimately had to just to drain blisters. Only water pick up points every 2 hours and then a break for lunch. Stop and change socks when you can

Feet were swollen by day two and releasing laces was a essential to release cramped feet.

Numerous 16 mile walks in preparation didn't set us up for the 30 mile middle day.

One of the things I would definitely do differently is take more than one type of footwear. My Brasher walking trainers were great till the weather turned bad. Then I wanted my Boots. They would also give hotspots and sore bits a chance to heal by having potentially different touch points. In the evening a pair of Crocs or flip flops would have been amazing.

Perhaps it was the change of weather, wet I assume, changing the fit of the trainer as it got wet? That would make sense to me, poor quality upper material slackens off causes foot movement and then returns to shape when it gets a little drier? Anyway looks nasty and sore.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I rarely get problems with blisters, but when I feel some rubbing I use some lambs wool on the area. It's very effective at eliminating any friction.

They sell sterilized wool for the job, I always have some in my FAK.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I rarely get problems with blisters, but when I feel some rubbing I use some lambs wool on the area. It's very effective at eliminating any friction.

They sell sterilized wool for the job, I always have some in my FAK.

Are those pads you tape on Pete? I've heard you mention it before but not sure how it works?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It's combed loose lambs wool, just like the wool that hangs from barbed wire.

You can just wrap it round toes (it binds to itself) or tape some as a pad. You can get self adhesive pads of the stuff too.

I think it's called Hikers Wool.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I've used zinc oxide tape in the past, just stick it on and leve it till it comes of on it's own. The best thing is to wash and air you feet as often as you can. Change into flip flops or some thing similar if you have them. Many years ago my platoon was made to lie on bed's with no socks on for 30 mins every evening by a very over zelous corporal. A bit of a pain at the time but it did the trick and very few of use ever got any blisters, even with new boots and running every where. Plus they had some marvlous foot powder you can't get nowdays.

Si

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Don't have so much as a problem with blisters as my feet drying out and cracking which gets to be quite painful at times. I got myself a big pot of Aqueos cream from boots, which is liqid parrafin and white soft parrafin. Went down to Dr's today and he has now prescribed it for me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE