surefire or similar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

I bought one of these as an experiment from evilbay, it's a cheap alternative. The batteries are rechargeables, the charger will also plug into a 2 pin shaver adaptor as well as the cigi lighter socket on your car, plus you get a little belt pouch for it, for the money you can't go too far wrong.

Neil1 and I compared it's performance with the Madjak that he carries (it's a copy of one) and there is not a lot of difference, in the end I think we said that performance wise the Madjac was slightly better. The construction on the Madjak is better also, but nevertheless these are still worth having a look at.

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I've got an LED Lenser which you can see here 1.25 watt LED. Although it doesn't say it's waterproof I'm sure it is...It's got an O ring seal at the end and theres no where else water could get in. It's just under £40.

It's extremely bright and very well made. They've now got a new one out called the Police Tech Focus which is similar in size but much brighter and can be focused. It's about an extra £5.

The companies site is here

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I EDC a Nuwai QIII, i was using it today as i was crawling around the foundations of a 356 year old church.
It has taken all kinds of abuse in the last couple of years and is still going strong.
The other guy's today were using big C Cell Mag's and they couldn't believe the beam from the tiny QIII.

I have a couple of Surefires U2 and 6P, they are good but they can be expensive.

If you already have a mini mag then the terralux upgrades are pretty good, big improvement over the standard output and they run forever on cheap AA's.

If you want small, the wee Fenix P1 is good.

L-R Surefire U2, Surefire 6P, Minimag, Nuwai QIII, P1
Picture047.jpg

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I did the LED conversion to my AA maglite a while back and it was so good i sold my surefire!
I think it was a "niteize" 3 LED conversion that just plugs over the old bulb. Much brighter than the old bulb, pure white light and an excellent and usable "pool" of light.

Mr British Red sir suggested lithium AA battery's. At a fiver for 2 they aren't cheap, but i am still on my first set and the torch gets used for everything (peering into printers and computers at work, walking around outside at home {live on a farm, no street lights}).

Can't recommend them enough, so impressed i bought the conversion bulb for the D cell lights i have.......and they are RUBBISH :(

any one got a suggestion to improve the lighting power of a 2 and 5 D cell maglite i would be interested to hear from you. :D

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
ArkAngel said:
any one got a suggestion to improve the lighting power of a 2 and 5 D cell maglite i would be interested to hear from you. :D

PM Black Bear over on BB, he does some wild conversions to mag's

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
EdS said:
Any suggestion for a small (minimag size or slightly bigger) powerful torch.
If you're after something about that size then the Surefire L4 is a very good, but expensive, option. I've got one (well, a KL4 assembly on an old E2e body) and am getting a McClicky guarded tailcap for Christmas. Will make an excellent package... :D

What's your budget? There are some very good options within most price ranges at the moment.

http://lighthound.com/ is the place to go and have a look round... Excellent service and price from the US.

Patrick

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
steven andrews said:
Fenix torches are outstanding for the money.
Can't argue with that. Fenix seem to be producing good quality lights for not a lot of money. I've got the L1P and it's an excellent little torch.

I fancy the Fenix P1... 55 lumens in a tiny package :eek:

Patrick

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
Hi, I've just bought a Surefire 6P from eBay for £40 and although it's not the best in the range (Quite low actually) it overpowers every other torch I have ever used. The pro's are the immence brightness @ 65 lumnes, size and build. The cost of running however is quite high (It takes 2 x 123A Lithium batteries which cost approx £3.99 for 2 and last 1 hour).

With this in mind I also bought a 2AA Maglite the other day for £10 for close up work and reading as the surefire leaves stars in my eyes if used too close.

Basically after a lot of research I couldn't find a great torch to cover both jobs (Long & Close illumination) but I have spent only £50 and have the best of both worlds.

If the Surefire 6P is a little pricey, they also supply a G2 model which has a rubber case instead of aluminium but uses the same light module for approx £25.

Hope this helps

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I have a Fenix L2P and it is excellent. Bright, sturdy and waterproof.

I also bought a mini mag 2AA LED and it is almost as bright, just a few lumens less, than the Fenix. It is also bright, sturdy, and water resistant. It also has an adjustable beam and candle mode. It is about half the price of the Fenix.

The LED Lensor looks good. Tell me more about how you like it and why.

The UK Mini Q40 is also excellent. Bright and waterproof. They are my backup dive lights and sometimes hiking and camping lights.

The Inova X03 is brighter than all of the other ones so far and is also very solid.

The Surefire L2 is also excellent but pricey and the beam is not as tight as some of the others. It is like a combo spot/flood which is ctually quite good.

The last small light in my rotation is the Streamlight TL2. Extremely bright (brightest of the bunch at over 100 lumens) and good throw, small, tough and inexpensive. I can probably get 3-5 of these versus one Surefire.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
EdS said:
just for comparison how many lumens is a 3 D cell maglite?
I think they're rated about 39 lumens. Good runtime, but really, for that size I want to turn the night into day ;)

Edit: It's worth mentioning runtime, as most small, lithium powered torches that produce a decent amount of light have a runtime of around an hour at full brightness, whereas your old 3D maglite will run for about 14 hours...

Patrick

leon-1

EdS said:
just for comparison how many lumens is a 3 D cell maglite?

I think it is about 42 lumens for a 3 D cell maglite.

The standard bulb on a Surefire will outdo that, so the G2 Nitrolon version is quite reasonable.

The Inova X0 throws about 63 Lumens and the people that have seen mine will tell you the throw is amazing for a torch of this power. The cheapy from Hong Kong is a lot more powerfull, with fresh batteries it is amazing.

pts652003

Mar 1, 2006
Jakarta
hi all, just want to give my opinion about surefire flashlights.

been collecting SF for 3 years has made me addicted to this torches.
the main problem of surefire is their price, its a killer especially inna UK.

i have no doubt about the material/ finish/ performance of surefire, they are excellent. but there is another torches that have good value for money, usually made in asia. Fenix has credit on this. they made a good quality lights with variety of power sources (AA/ AAA/ CR123/ CR2/ RECHARGEABLE)

if you are not use it for 'TACTICAL' or collector purposes, the price is much higher that its value. and they only comes with cr123 battery which is more expensive than domestic batteries no matter how cheap you can find (www.7dayshop.com) still AA/AAA is much cheaper and widely available troughout the world.

try Fenix and you wont be dissapointed. i have tried one (p1d) and it is really good torches for value and purposes.
but i dont know why my heart still tied to SF for no reason :confused:

brightcollections.jpg

tomo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE