Support local farmers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mel

Nov 13, 2003
West Sussex
www.wilderness121.co.uk
I thought that some of you might be interested in supporting local farmers by logging on to bigbarn.co.uk - it's a great site with a great idea. You can enter your post code to find out all of the places you can buy local produce in your area - farm shops etc'. Also if you register on the site, you will be joining a petition to try to persuade the supermarkets to give a small area in store for local producers. As it says on the site, you would be:

"helping to persuade supermarkets to give local farmers space in store to sell their produce and take 75% of the retail price ( A big increase on the average of 9p in every £1 they currently get). The more people we have registered the more likely we are to get a local food section in your local supermarket."

Reducing the number of miles that food travels, and the number of 'middle men' it goes through, from the producer to the plate has to be: good for flavour; good for farmers and good for the environment - cutting down on fuel use and packaging. :)

If you like this idea, please check it out and then tell all your friends and family about it.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Nice one Mel local seasonal food is the way to go, giving farmers a way into the local super markets is a great idea but I’ll still love buying from the farm gate or the farmers market the foods always the freshest and best tasting that way.

James

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
A superb link, thanks Mel :D

I have always moaned about being stuck in London with no easy recourse to decent produce. Never had any idea there were so many on my doorstep.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Thanks Mel. It is always great to see people using the site.

Like Mel said please register and if you know of local producers who are not on the map tell them to register or drop us an email with their details. It is free to be on BigBarn.

In case you were wondering I am Bill of Bill buys local ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE