Petition seeks to have serial numbers on all knives sold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Have to say, I have no problem with serial numbers on knives. Nor really with providing my ID when I buy one.

On the other hand it is difficult to see what it might achieve other than creating more bureaucracy.

Criminals have a bad habit of not obeying the law and will disregard it all anyway.

Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Have to say, I have no problem with serial numbers on knives. Nor really with providing my ID when I buy one.

On the other hand it is difficult to see what it might achieve other than creating more bureaucracy.

Criminals have a bad habit of not obeying the law and will disregard it all anyway.
Exactly

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Same kinds of issues with driving licences and registration plates in that if there's no money for adequate enforcement more people will end up breaking the law. I mean how many drivers honestly obey the law? Actually know the law in all its details? Laws are only good if enforced or widely supported by most of the population.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon

It depends on where it leads to. Could you alter the serial number and if not what happens if you want to alter a knife - send it away to a registered knife dealer?

I would have though serial numbers would lead to licenses and 'well meaning people' would want them to be like firearms licenses so good reason needed for a knife. Perhaps then you should only use certain knives on suitable land and if you don't use your knives often enough they are taken away from you. Logs would need to be kept of when knives are used and for what reason.

Might sound OTT but that's the reality of firearms these days. At least knife serial numbers sounds daft at the moment...

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Problem is that you can make a knife accidentally by just dropping a chunk of flint. The idea of regulating ‘anything that is sharp’ is just completely impossible and nonsensical to anyone with more than 1 brain cell who thinks about it for more than 6 seconds.

…so I assume it’ll be in parliament by the end of the week…

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Yeahbut just think of the kittens we might save?

Do they have serial numbers for each knife model, each manufacturer or do we have to have longer blades so we can fit all the numbers for all the knives sold in the UK?
Can't make the blades too long or they would turn into super scary swords and be even more dangerous

Sent from underground

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I searched Change.org for this particular petition but couldn’t find it, I could only get to it through the link. Registering knives would be only one of many stupid woke ideas on there that are completely impractical. Most of it is just venting frustration at some kind of perceived injustice or someone trying to manage the grief of a genuine loss. I can’t imagine losing someone to knife crime but knee jerk reactions that criminalise everyone who has a sharp or pointed object can’t solve anything.
Unfortunately some people appear to be signing the petition to give themselves the ability to publicly disagree and say it won’t work…how stupid are they? Don’t they know how petitions work?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE