Sunday Wander.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well with the spankingly good weather we're having at the moment I decided to make more of my daily wander on Sunday and have a wee fire as well.

I'm blessed with great woods on my doorstep so off I tromped up the hill behind the house where I had a wee spot in mind.

IMG_0806.JPG

On approaching I noticed a lady at the spot where I intended to have a brew. Further out I saw a friend of mine and a gaggle of kids and as I'd just thrown on the first jacket to hand which is Realtree cammo I made myself known from a distance so as not to startle anyone. They looked up and still didn't see me 'till I started waving like a drowning man. I had a brief chat with them (they were having a bushcrafty kids birthday party and were also using a chainsaw to carve a seat for the birthday boy. (The estate lets the local families use these woods for the kids outdoor education). I decided to move on as I didn't want to crash the party and moved on to another nearby woodland clump.

IMG_0807.JPG

At the entry point (There's an old sand quarry in there) some tyres had been dumped many moons ago and this lodgepole pine had grown up through one.
IMG_0819.JPG

There was some fresh wind damage to the trees since my last visit so I had a wee wander 'round and found that some of the local Highland cows had gotten in through a damaged section in the fence.

IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG

Had a wee tidy up, (some kids had had a party here a while back and left a bit of a mess) and decided to have a wee fire and brew as it was perishingly cold.(Batteries soon died on the camera and I'd left the spares at home!)
IMG_0810.JPG

While setting up I fancied a wee smoke and had some tobacco left. Keep in a Kendal mint cake tin, nice size and keeps all the accoutrements together.
IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

Got out the firelighting kit and decided to use the Huddson Bay kit to make a fire and light my ciggy! (No fire - no ciggy, there's an incentive!)

IMG_0813.JPG

Was looking all shiny as I'd been in a polishing mood the other week and buffed up a few things :eek:.

Batteries started to seriously die at this point so I concentrated on getting my pea and ham soup ("...from a chicken!?") ready, was lovely on such a cold day. After my soup I had a potter and noticed that the elder has in bud which is nice for some flower cordial and the berries latter on. Made sure the little brew fire was out and tidied away and headed home. At the crest of wee hill I have across one of the local kestrels hovering in the buffeting wind. Tried to get the camera to take a decent shot but with the cold and the batteries I knew I was pushing it despite the raptor presenting itself quite happily.
IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

One the way home I popped in to see a pal who'd been away fishing and had some surprises for me. A lovely sweet and sour fish dish from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem cookbook (was very yummy) and some reed heads for tinder. Good time of year to be collecting as they've been overwintered and come apart very easily - too easily as the explosion in a quilt factory of a house I'm now living in!

Nothing too strenuous but a nice wee wander about. Hope you enjoy?

GB.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
nice one Colin.
and as crosslandkelly said nice t put a face t name.

be nice t have such woods so close t home.
like the tyre tree pic
Cheers guys, must say that 'round the tyre area there are some lovely edible boletus when in season. And not many of the other 'shroomers think to go in that wood.
IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

Mainly dry them for cooking but always nice with some fried breakfast!:p

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice pictures! Is that the "new" model husqvarna hatchet you have there?

It is, got it as a prezzy a couple of Christmas's ago. A little larger than the older one (which my pal has). Great axe; especially for the price. Nice weight and swing to it. Sharpens nicely too.

That's was brilliant mate! Really enjoyed that! :)

Cheers Cam. You been out anymore with your newfound mobility?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE