summer solstice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
As the summer solstice approaches I for one would love to know a bit more about it's origins, mythology, and some of the practices that take place in modern day around this event.

If anyone has any links or can explain some of the origins and what it means to bushcraft, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Modern day practice in Northern Norway at summer solstice is usually to go out and make large bonfires, barbecue and drinking.
I write usually because the weather plays an important part, at least for me. It`s no fun sitting out in heavy rain and 10 degrees.

This summer solistice I`m beeing married, so no bonfires for me, but I guess there will be drinking :) .

Tor

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Have a look here:

http://www.candlegrove.com/solstice.html

What it means to Bushcraft depends on if you view the solstice as part of a religious festival. Paganism - I say paganism in the broadest terms as there are many different groups (heathens, wiccans, druids etc) recognise the divine in nature and this is the heart of their belief. Pagans respect the natural world and see the divine as ongoing life and death cycles. This is where there is an affinity with Bushcraft as they are eco-friendly and seek to live in a way that minimises harm to the natural environment. They generally worship the divine in many forms. The solstices are part of the wheel of the year with the four equinoxes. The other four festivals are of celtic origin.

It's not just pagans that celebrate solstice. Many cultures in many countries celebrate the longest day.

I hope I'm reasonably accurate in this simplistic explanation. I'm sure someone will correct me.

Pablo

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tor helge said:
This summer solistice I`m beeing married, so no bonfires for me, but I guess there will be drinking :) .

Tor

Congratulations Tor. May the warmth of the summer months stay with you and your wife always.

As far as bushcraft is concerned, it means my batteries last longer :rolleyes:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
for quite a lot of young people from central scotland, the solstice usually involves obtaining some kind of stimulant/ deppressant - taking the lot and then dancing round a big fire with yer pals to very loud music.

(taking care to tidy up after of course). :) :) :) :)

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
anybody wanting to know anything about this subject should go and look at the
pagen federations website
i carnt remmeber the link but will find it for you all
hang on

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Here's all the pagan sabbats for ya...

wheelofyear.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE