Summer solstice 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It is on Tuesday 21st June. Anyone got any plans?

I was thinking of a midweek lightweight overnighter between shifts at work, but I seem to be working until 10pm that day, which makes it difficult.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike im up for it have a word with al see whats going on with him see if he is up for it to regards dave

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Well I was planning on running naked through the woods with at least half a dozen of my female nieghbours & ending the evening in a bachanal orgy.........but I hesitate now, you've thrown up some exciting ideas.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hippies and Druids celebrate it, for me the only special thing about the 21st is that I'll be in Portugal at the time visiting a good friend for a few days :) closely followed by Gran Canaria again...I hate retirement.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like being aware of the turn of the year, and it's not a religious thing, it's an Earth/ Sun thing :D

The Solstices and the Equinoxes neatly quarter the year, and in doing so they are very much part of the celebrations of the seasons.

Tbh, relevant to everybody not just the religiously inclined :D

Me ? Oh the shortest night's worth seeing through to dawn :cool: Hopefully it'll be dry and clear, I like to see where the stars are in their course at the quarters. Doesn't always happen though, it's the UK, it's inclined to be Atlantean (i.e. sodden wet) but I try to get a look round about the time.

Enjoy :)

cheers,
Toddy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For me it isn't so much a celebration, as an astronomical phenomenon. I find it interesting. Anyway, it seems like a good night to try a minimal gear camp as there will be more light than usual.

We make our own reasons for going out to camp, and sometimes they are are a bit thin if examined closely (like this one). Whatever, I'm looking forward to it.

Blacktimberwolf's idea sounds much better though! Wonder if the girls at work would be up for that...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I recently heard skyclad described as moonbathing :D :rolleyes:
We just called it skinny dipping when we were teenagers sneaking into the river for a swim. No worries about tan lines though :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was a verrrry long time ago :eek: and I mind it was baltic :rolleyes: Everywhere we camped we went for a midnight swim.....can't see anyone advertising that in health and safety nowadays.
I think the biggest difference is the amount of booze the young have access to now. We didn't, we couldn't afford to drink the way they do now, so we just got high on life instead :D

Is it just me ? or is it freezing cold today ? It was roasting early on this morning, then the rain came down (again) but I'm thinking of putting the heating on for a bit. Blooming cold Solstice night if it's like this. Woolly blankets, folks :D

cheers,
M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hmmm, maybe a local overnighter if I can arrange it. The dawn chorus is petering out in the next few weeks and it would be a good idea to get out and enjoy it without any work getting in the way.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I have a funny love/hate relationship with the summer solstice. I really love the long evenings and late sunsets but I'd have to admit to being quite sad about the sun reaching it's northernmost declination and well, that's as good as it gets, from then on it heads south again and before you know it it's autumn again. It's like christmas morning after all the presents have been opened and the mess tidied up again.

They have the most wonderful bonfire celebrations in Norway to see in the "night". Good times that I'm sorry we don't emulate this far west.

Scipio

May 1, 2011
Reading
Well, as a Pagan and druid "in training" I cannot wait for the summer solstice. I can`t make it to stonehenge unfortunately but I will be celebrating it by making my prayers and offerings to my gods.

For us Druids it`s a very special time, when the gods are at their most powerful. I will prepare my special meal, make my offerings then revel in the greatness of nature.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hope you enjoy your night:) but I have to remind folks that there are three 'don't discuss' topics on the forum, and religion is one of them.

cheers,
Toddy

Scipio

May 1, 2011
Reading
I don`t think anyone was discussing religion Toddy. I just stated what I will be doing for the solstice and that I am Pagan.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Well, as a Pagan and druid "in training" I cannot wait for the summer solstice. I can`t make it to stonehenge unfortunately but I will be celebrating it by making my prayers and offerings to my gods.

For us Druids it`s a very special time, when the gods are at their most powerful. I will prepare my special meal, make my offerings then revel in the greatness of nature.

If you skip out the praying bit & jump straight to the meal & the revelling..................sounds good to me.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I'm also a druid but follow the winter solstice as the larger festival ;)

i guess the big differences between the two is that you really wouldn't want to run around skyclad during the winter solstice ;)
as per tradition though i shall be up all night, going to try and get out into the wilds as it were but being a school night i may not be able. but i'll still have a wander in the woods methinks and listed to the birds sound the sun up.
pete

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I spending the week as usual, or "kokoa koko kokko kokoon" as we say here in Finland.

Midsummer bonfire
800px-Midsummer_bonfire.jpg

Vihta
521px-Vihtoja.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE