Summer hats - styles and options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's been nice out there and I'm getting my one bit of exercise a day away from people in the surrounding countryside. It's weather for a sun hat. I've been wearing caps and even a tilley T5MO airflow cotton. I'm never satisfied.

I really like Tilley's range of sizes but I'm not convinced by the brimmed hat. I like caps of the outdoor styles but they're usually in two sizes that don't fit me. Are there any caps available to hat sizes? I'm probably 7 5/8 or possibly 7 3/4. 60 to 62cm around the head . Not easy finding caps to fit.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's been a few threads in the past I reckon. There's Tilley but I'm not impressed. My TMO5 airflow Tilley washed and despite brutal stretching has shrunk. It fits but not as Tilley hats should. The brim has gone floppy and crinkled. Plus the organic cotton gets sweaty if it's really warm and I'm being active.

There's a brand called Sunday afternoons that does very similar hats plus practically most other types too. Their Tilley style hats have a write up that makes it seem the brims are stiffer. Anyone had one of their hats?

Alternatively are there any green Tilley hats which has a brim that keeps a decent shape?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I used this here up to 45*C and I recommend it without any doubt for warm conditions.

It fits to all adult sizes because it has a well constructed velcro closure at the back side.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I have a couple of Tilley hats for summer use (the hemp one, and another that I can't remember), but if these are not your thing, then I have had success with a 5.11 Tactical peaked hat (like a baseball cap, and similar to the one Erbswurst listed). I didn't actually buy it, as I was gifted it by 5.11, so no idea where to purchase from, but I'm sure some Googling (or DuckDuckGo-ing) would soon find a source.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Must admit I prefer caps but they don't cover ears without the neck cover extras. There's a company that produces a neck cover thing that can be worn over or under any other hat. It's just an adjustable band around the head with the neck cover attached.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
You thinking of a havelock? WW2 Japanese were fond of these 'neck curtains'

I just have an old, beat up, US boonie hat, comes plenty size choices but tbh it's down to your own preference.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of the beach shops here carry “fishing” caps: thin cotton caps with a neck curtain. I don’t have a link but you should be able to find them at Bass Pro if that strikes your fancy.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got 2 "Greg Norman" golf hats. Look a bit like a brimmed straw but are open mesh that cut the sun maybe 75%.
They have lasted in daily summer use (except for rainy days!) for 10+ years.
Probably would not be hard to attach rodeo strings but I can't be bothered.

Terrible fit. I wound up cutting away half of the sweat band at the back. Getting a haircut helps, too.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
One thing I have issues with are outdoor style caps rarely come big enough. I've bought caps before that fitted and were adjustable for a wide range of sizes but that got worn out or lost. One trip turned out very hot and sunny but I'd forgotten any hat. Being near Ambleside I tried to buy a new cap. Often two sizes S/M or M/L. The larger size were all too small for me and I'm only 7 5/8ths perhaps 7 3/4 at a push.

The only caps I could find that were big enough were a Rohan cap with a zip out neck cover and the base band could also flip down to form a face bug net feature. When used as a cap it was a little bit loose but the extras really make it look bad somehow. Not adjustable. The other one an outdoor research pocket radar cap. It fitted well but wasn't adjustable neither but now feels a bit tight.

Tilley hat I have stopped fitting after I washed it, had to itgot manky with sweat and dirty.i stretched it when wet and tried more when dry. It was still too small. After starting this thread I washed it and stretched it again. It now fits but tight not loose with two fingers gap like I believe their hats should fit. I am not impressed with the floppy brim. I would like a Tilley with a shaped brim that kept its shape I suppose. Plus doesn't shrink.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
“Only” 7 5/8th to 7 3/4!? Those are big hat sizes here.
I don't look like I've got a big head. The in laws got me to try on the Andes hat my FiL got given. He said it'll be too big but they it on anyway. It sat right on the top of my head. That's when I knew my head was big, his looks very big but mine is bigger. Tilley describes it in words on their paper hat size measure tape at one retailer. Tres eceptionelle iirc. Second time I realised my head is big.

Of course it's a question of relative size. I'm 6'5" tall and slim build, but despite that there's enough of me to mask the big head, it looks smaller than it really is.

Problem 1 is most outdoor hat brands rarely go to 7 3/4, at a push some go up to 7 5/8. That's the limit of my OR pocket radar cap. 50+ UPF and it folds small enough for a pocket. Just ears and neck get burnt.

That's another thing, I've not got excessively long neck so why don't those neck cowls actually cover my neck to the t shirt? The only way to protect my neck with them is a buff as well =got, or an exped shirt with a double flip up collar like cragghoppers do. UK brand so you'll probably not know it.

I must admit I think hot weather is harder to manage than cold weather. What do you think?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, hot weather is difficult to survive in. I've done most of my overland trekking in arid countries and desert regions - there's only so much clothing you can take off :) - and then you need protection from the sun. I have to say the most comfortable hat I found was a Tilley but in the Sahara we wore Berber style headgear that could cover our necks and mouth and nose (for the dust) and it's very effective - not something you'd want to wear in the Lake District though :)

Reactions: santaman2000

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Being a baldie, I probably wear a hat more often than yer average bod. I've tried all sorts, but now my go to hat is a surplus supplied MTP bucket hat in cotton. The colour set is cool enough in temperate zone type hot weather; it keeps the sun and sweat out of my eyes, and it keeps my ears and neck protected sufficiently to avoid any awkward burns. It also allows me to shoot in field archery, and doesn't get in the way. It is supposedly a one-size-fits-all, but its fine for me, and I take a size 62 crash helmet, which I believe is fairly big. Cant remember where I got it now, but it was cheap too.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a question I've been avoiding for fear of offending people. I can't pussyfoot around it now. Is there a minimum age limit for wearing a Tilley? I only ask because people I've talked to about these brimmed hats seem to be in agreement, it'll make me look old. IMHO function over form any day when out and about but I've still got a little vanity (haven't we all if we're honest). Plus I'm a spectacle wearer so imho not much hat wise works for me.

No offence meant but are there any types of hat you'd not be seen in until old enough not to give a flying anymore? Or any hats you'll stop wearing when above a certain age. Obviously when in the wilderness function applies and what works best is best. I'm talking about local use where people know you and probably take the pi$$.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’ve already reached the age where it’s more likely I make the hat look old than the other way around. That said, I’ve never been fond of Tilleys anyway, and yes, that is entirely a vanity thing al with nothing to do with age.

And I also have a big head these days.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have a fairly wide brimmed Columbia hat, I like it, in Dubai I had some snide remarks that it is not Dubai style. "Who cares, it protects from the sun", end of remarks. Also I would have looked absolutely idiotic in arab headgear. Though I must admit that people in southern Tunisia wore their clothes without looking silly but they did have some style.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yep, the Tilleys with the mesh sides - that's definitely a father-in-law look. I seem to remember a thread on this topic (started by Tony) about a year ago :)
Lol! That's what I got in green. Waste of money because I never felt a benefit. It's a warmer hat than my vent less caps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE