Summer boot's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Now that spring is in the air thoughts of summer boots are starting to roll around my bonce.
Need something light for the wood's when just carrying a daysack and also for running about at work (i'm a courier), looking at army desert boots etc
The US marine corps desert boot's look great but £120 :eek:
Same goes for the altbergs but not sure on the styling :eek:
Any ideas on the current british army issue is? must have something pretty good after the last few years :rolleyes:
Maybe very light leather? but need a decent sole unit, not the smooth desert boot sole's
All ideas welcome:)

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Dont bother with the us issue stuff its pants.
When i was in saudi the american guys were begging us for british issue boots they were the best trade item of all time.
Anyone got a pic of the current issue ones?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
What about a pair of British Army Tropical issue boots. They are light, have decent ventilation and are fairly hard wearing. It's possible to pick them up fairly cheaply, depending on the grade. Not sure where you'd pick em up new though.

Nag.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Wow thats a good pair of boot's for the boys, no wonder the Americans want to get their hands on them. They look ideal and a local store holds them in stock by the looks of it.
Still expensive but they should last a few seasons.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Why not try Magnums? I used to wear them when ever I thought I could get away with it, and found them very comfy.

In fact, I'm going to look at buying some this afternoon as my old "summer" boots have finally given up the ghost after about 5 years of almost continuous wear.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Word of warning about magnums.
I have worn them for years and have had great service from them............but the last pair I got was pants they rubbed and chaffed every time I wore them right up till I threw them in the bin when the sole wore thru. That was after about a year. I do high milage in my boots wearing them most days at work on a mental health ward and also they get a good hammering out in the woods. Now I really look after my boots as my granny used to say
"look after your boots and they will look after you".
My previous 3 pair of magnums lasted 3-4 years on average but the last pair only 12 months. A lot of perople I have talked to say that the build quality has gone down hill and they are not lasting anywhere near as long as they did.

Cost- if you can pick them up for about £50 then they are great but anymore and I personally think they are getting expensive for a pair of trainers with a high leg and a bit of grip on the sole.

On a side note I am still looking for a suitable boot to replace them with that wont cost the earth.

Good luck with the search.

Greg

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Thanks for the warning about Magnums Greg. I will take a look at the store you mentioned in the PM but will not rush into a new pair of Magnums!

I may have a look at some Meindl desert boots later in the week. I have a pair of their Pro Burma boots and love them, just need something lighter for "everyday" wear.

Simon

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I know you were worried about the style of the Altberg boots but I've got a pair of their lightweight jungle boots that I use in summer and I find them brilliant: supportive, quick-drying, comfortable, light and very well made. I don't know whether they fit your budget but I reckon they're definitely worth a look.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Has anybody got any thoughts on jungle boots ? like these......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-AMERI...ryZ27415QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

for the cash they cant be that bad ....can they ? They look good as my feet sweat a bit during summer and the canvas upper appeals.

Any thoughts guys?

Greg

Started looking at this type of boot, but i do a lot of mileage on tarmac and those soles don't look as if this was part of the design brief, more protection and grip than comfort?
Price wise i'm not overly bothered, just have to wait a couple of weeks longer and if they will last and fit well then i'll swallow it :)

I've never really got on with approach shoes for the woods, always ended up with things floating round in them, and i do like something around my ankle, just adds a little padding if you get a stone flip over on it :nutkick:

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I am wearing Belleville desert boots at work, they make the USGI and Marine Corps issue boots. They are without doubt the comfiest safety boots i have ever worn, but i am tempted by the Lowa desert elite for summer out of work. I have a pair of Lowa mountain boots and they just feel amazing but are a bit hot for summer, so i think their desert boot will be the nuts.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Okay I think the forum monkies are playing tricks on me.. I'm sure I posted 3 times by accident then got edited.. now theres only one.. :lmao:

So to try again..

Have a look at British Military Surplus Not to everyones taste but you never know.

Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE