suggestions for hook knife passaround

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We're looking at getting a bunch of different hook/curved knives together for a passaround. Folk are always asking which one is best so we reckon it would be interesting to get a few different peoples comparisons of some of the available knives. The ones we already have are (Robin will post a picture of these in a bit):
Frosts - single edge & double edge
Del Stubbs
Ben Orford - shallow curve & tight curve
Bo Helgesson
We haven't got, but plan to get a Svante Djarve to add in.

Have you got a favourite that's not on the list which should be?
Nicola

PS we'll put out a separate call for reviewers once we've got the knives together - you must appreciate we'll have to vet fairly carefully who they go out to because there will be rather a lot of money tied up in that bundle!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's a great idea :) When are you planning on doing this pass around? I would love to get in on it if possible?

I am sure that would be no problem Dave, do you have any of your hooks you would be game for putting in the pack? I am always game for trying as many as possible.

Here are some photos of some hooks.

First pic top to bottom, reground double bevel shallow curve frost, single bevel tight curve frost (dog chewed) we will put a new one in, Ben Orford shallow, Ben Orford tight, Del Stubbs and Bo Helgesson. I think Bens knives are pretty much straight copies of Svante Djarve's but I think we should include at least one Svate Djarve as they are the most popular quality hook. Which do people prefer the tight curve one?

hook-knives.jpg

hook-knives2.jpg

Below are a couple of my current favorite knives and a gratuitous spoon, Del Stubbs sloyd and Helgesson hook.

hook.jpg

This is the cheap hook I used for years, a heavily reground frosts double bevel shallow with the left bevel and the end cut off, it works quite nicely now but its a fair bit of work.

hook-frost.jpg

hook-frost2.jpg

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
I don't have any more knive to suggest, though I'd like to say my Del Stubbs knives turned up earlier this week and I heartily recommend them to anyone. Just finished making a small spoon actually.
Once you add the Djarv to that lot I think you should call this passaround 'The Magnificent Seven'.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm also not in any position to offer any advice about carving,
Though I would greatly appreciate the chance to use a set of quality tools to see how they differ from budget examples. Would there be any plans to get the set to any moots/meets so that the novice carvers amongst us can handle them under the guidance of the carving guru's?

Ogri the trog

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Robin, depending on when the pass around happens, then I would love to put on in the mix :) The only trouble is that I don't have any (other than not so hot prototypes :rolleyes: ) around at the moment and I don't have my workshop built to make any more :(

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Would there be any plans to get the set to any moots/meets so that the novice carvers amongst us can handle them under the guidance of the carving guru's?
To do this formally is difficult. We ran a whittler's corner at the pole-lathe turners annual get-together last year and found it pretty stressful to manage lots of people doing different things all wanting help at the same time. We also had a tool nicked. So for this year we're thinking of trying out a much more structured format with some formal sessions teaching knife skills (fixed time, fixed number of people, our tools) and some casual whittling sessions where we'll offer advice but people have to use their own tools. If it works out it's something we might do at some larger bushcraft events as a way of advertising our courses.

Casually, if we happen to be sat around a fire with a few folk having a whittle and they want to have a go with the tools, then that's fine ;)

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I'd be happy to loan a couple of different ones by Ben for this, a small one I have is quite unique I believe, but Ben would need to confirm. I don't think he's on here? Chris

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Suggestions for passaround...

A bit leftfield, this one:

The much maligned "Carvin-jack" from Flex-cut.

It has shallow hook knife which is very much a compromise compared to dedicated knives, but I take it on trips where space is tight, yet whittling likely!

I actually get on quite well with it, though many see it as what it is: an expensive set of compromised tools.

Look forward to the passaraound, whether I am included or not, as I am currently using Frosts but I was thinking of getting something "nicer". This might help me choose.

Thanks for the effort of organising.:)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm a fan of the carvin-jack as well, but I do appreciated the difference in a fixed blade and would like to learn more... Are you (Robin) attending the Treefest in Edinburgh 14th & 15th June? Theres a Robin Wood on the list... I wonder if there were enough nearby forum members to make a formal teach-in possible.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I'm a fan of the carvin-jack as well, but I do appreciated the difference in a fixed blade and would like to learn more... Are you (Robin) attending the Treefest in Edinburgh 14th & 15th June? Theres a Robin Wood on the list... I wonder if there were enough nearby forum members to make a formal teach-in possible.

Nope thats not me, I had heard of another Robin Wood working in Scotland doing chainsaw sculpture type stuff, I expect thats your man.

Thanks for the suggestion of the carving jack. I will try to get to use one myself but don't fancy shelling out for one just now. Ordered 2 Svante Djarv and 2 new frosts today so we are making progress.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Was referring to 2nd and 3rd from the top for this. I think the third down is a standard small shallow curve which is on your list anyway. But happy to offer any of these for loan for this.

2368581329_14045fefbd.jpg

2369419252_87ab87ab9b.jpg

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's a very generous offer Mayfly and a lovely collection of Ben's knives. I think 3 down is a copy of one we already have but 2 down certainly would add to the range and maybe one of the larger crooks too. One interesting point folk have made on the BB forum is that we don't have Inuit/American style crooks. I had originally intended this to be a comparison of the scandi style hooks but it would certainly be of interest to have a palm up crook or two in there.

I will PM you to let you know how we were thinking of working it to check you are happy to part with your tools on that basis.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Scott I would love to try some of your knives but at $125-$185 plus shipping they are way out of my price range. One knife could be 3 times the price of the most expensive in my current set. If you are offering to send us one to try I think it would be very interesting to see how they compare.

I would also love to try one of Kestrel tools knives I have heard good things about these knives for 10 years and they look quite reasonable now with the weak dollar at $66-$68
page3b.jpg

page3a.jpg

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
i would be interested to try out some of the knifes you have mentioned above BUT I'm a lefty. i can work right handed but not as well.:(

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I would also love to try one of Kestrel tools knives I have heard good things about these knives for 10 years and they look quite reasonable now with the weak dollar at $66-$68
page3b.jpg

page3a.jpg

I just got an email from Greg at Kestrel saying he is happy to send me some tools. The money transfer and P&P may add up but I think the tools look good value at about £35, I have wanted to try one for ages anyway so I am going to order. Just wondered if anyone else fancied one and sharing the postage? PM me if you do all the details are on his webpage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE