Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Did you get it off ebay?, I might have to get one :), as its butane for the refill I guess it isn't as god in the colder months

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Did you get it off ebay?, I might have to get one :), as its butane for the refill I guess it isn't as god in the colder months
yes it was off e-bay, from Chang Wang got hit with import tax, I will bring it to the next meet if you remind me the day before lol, yes I think they are just butane, but what I like about the adaptor is I can always have piece of mind That I have a full 100c cylinder when I set off.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
When refilling the Canisters keep put the empty one in the fridge, and the full one at warm room temp.. this wil give a slightly higer presure in the one that is full, all that will happen in the end is the tow will equalise the presure

so as the fuller one gets empty so the empty one will not fill as much..

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just thought I would share that in case people expect to get a full refill every time, then they find that the amount of burn time they have goes down every time they refill for the same canister.:).

www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/titanium-esbit-wing-stove.html#.Ut7w6vvFLqA has anyone tried this little esbit jobby
8ade6yza.jpg
That looks cool :p not sure how windy conditions would affect it though.

I just finished my little wood gasifier stove, I did my first test today with some off cuts of a shelf but manufacture pine seems to burn too fast and too hot. Will try with some real wood and put up some pictures next week, for now I will stick up a picture of it after it's first burn.
Sorry for the enormous pictures.
Album if you want to browse my new toys this week. All that's left now is sleeping gear:
http://s941.photobucket.com/user/ceryni1/library/Bushcraft?sort=3&page=1

WP_20140122_011.jpg

WP_20140122_009.jpg

WP_20140122_008.jpg

pictures!
yay finally figured it out! :D

Had to file down the spine of the Mora knives because they come rounded, but now they throw sparks off a ferro rod like nobodys business.

Last edited:

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Has anyone tried making a wood gas stove? Im considering miniaturising it using a normal size can and a deodorant can. Do you think the burn chamber would be to small?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
My bushbuddy fits fairly snugly with a bit of windshield round it inside my 12cm billy. So i reckon it's about 11cm in diameter.

Has anyone tried making a wood gas stove? Im considering miniaturising it using a normal size can and a deodorant can. Do you think the burn chamber would be to small?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk

what do you mean?
If you mean a wood gasifier stove that's what I've made below in pics. The jets work ok, but I've yet to give it a real test.
best way to light it seems to be budle of wood veritcally, with the centre piece feathered, lit by a match (laziness)
I will have to experiment with it though, I think it's designed to burn down from the top so the wood gas sinks into the lower set of holes and rises with the hot air through the layers and gets burned when it jets through the top holes.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The original ones (bush buddy) are about the size of a normal baked bean can.

I not really got into Woodgas Stove myself I have seen one that has a small pea can size for the internal can, that seemed to work ok, trouble is the amount of fuel you can have in the stove with out running out.. OK you could use Kitty Litter but I just cant see the point of that as you have to carry it and that negates the reason for the woodgas stove...

I not really got into Woodgas Stove myself I have seen one that has a small pea can size for the internal can, that seemed to work ok, trouble is the amount of fuel you can have in the stove with out running out.. OK you could use Kitty Litter but I just cant see the point of that as you have to carry it and that negates the reason for the woodgas stove...

Yeah that's a fair point, but I will come back to you when I've tested my idea of sticking more fuel in as you go. It should work ok sticking more wood in. We'll see

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Theres no problem taking the Pan/billy off to reload as such, apart form being a pain :), they are good stoves and a very good way of using free fuel :)..

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Thanks for all the info on stoves, just got to decide what to do for the response pack challenge, bit put off by the fact the trangia could leak, the Esbit I have, the fuel stinks but its a compact size, the honey stove is quite dear but my favourite at the moment as I wouldn't have to take fuel and its proper small when packed away. The M71 I reckon could be the one for the challenge should be plenty and nice and compact. decisions decisions........ how about using the Esbit with sticks, that could work?

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I've got the woodgas mk2 and it's fun but time consuming which is ok if you're on your own and fancy something to doI. I've found its a little hard to keep going has a habit of burning down quickly, the cat litter pellets work once you get them lit by as Stu says what's the point of carrying them. I'm glad I've got it but treat it as a novelty item

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE