Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Never really looked at the trangia stove before, but the size of it does appeal to me as it would fit nicely in the response pack and best of all its cheap. Obviously you need to keep the pan or pot raised up off the stove and I wondered whats the best way of doing this, should I make something or is there already something out there which does the job?

You could use some stones to raise the pot, or hang the pot over the stove.

SJStuart has disabled PM's, I can only imagine that's because of whatever has been going on, which is a shame because I would have liked to go for a walk on one of his permissions we talked about before.

If anyone is in actual contact with him send my regards. Also PM me if you want a phone number.

Never really looked at the trangia stove before, but the size of it does appeal to me as it would fit nicely in the response pack and best of all its cheap. Obviously you need to keep the pan or pot raised up off the stove and I wondered whats the best way of doing this, should I make something or is there already something out there which does the job?

Not sure what the appeal of the trangia is myself in a response pack, considering you need to carry fuel, which is fairly heavy and can leak. (useful in Europe though as you can find fuel for it anywhere)
I prefer the army hexi burner myself (it's so damn cheap), as you can get ton of tablets from cotswolds for £2. It's light, doesn't take up much space, and the burner is so versatile it fits any kind of pot on top. Even better, it fits the steel mug that sits on the bottom of my canteen/waterbottle so I can use it to cook with. 2 birds.

Last edited:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
SJStuart has disabled PM's, I can only imagine that's because of whatever has been going on, which is a shame because I would have liked to go for a walk on one of his permissions we talked about before.

If anyone is in actual contact with him send my regards. Also PM me if you want a phone number.
Yes I agree its a shame that's its came to this, thought we were all big boys and would be able to
Overcome our difference's. I for one hope this just a misunderstanding that can be rectified and put behind us for the benefit of the group and the individuals involved.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I think that the situation is best left to what has happened it has been dealt with, please let it lie there.... lets get on with the bushcrafting :)

Last edited:

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
So...I started making a folding saw today based on the Browning take down saw. Gonna try and get it done before the Feb meet and go testing (obviously on stuff found on the floor)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London

If you had a honey stove or similar that packs down flat then you have a stove and stand and may not need to carry fuel.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, I am very impressed with how much equipment you have managed to get in the response pack's already and it sounds like there's still room for more. Wish I'd not sold mine now, very tempted to get a replacement now, so I can see what I can fit in.

If you had a honey stove or similar that packs down flat then you have a stove and stand and may not need to carry fuel.
Honey stoves are expensive. I've almost finished my wood gasifier stove made out of a couple of food cans.
I heard someone was going to make a few honey stoves and offer them on here for cheaper (would be very interested), besides, I like the way Hexi burners don't rely on gathering dry fuel and contain the fuel inside them when you un pack them.

Just picked up one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/genuine-a...Goods_Camping_Accessories&hash=item2ecde88a03

I assume everyone has one or whatever but I'm dead pleased with mine it's just what I wanted. feels quality too. A steal for a tenner i reckoned to myself. (don't ruin the illusion if you have better ;P)

Edit: I would really rather not pay over £20 for a tin can ;) will post pics of the wood stove when it's finished

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Honey stoves are expensive. I've almost finished my wood gasifier stove made out of a couple of food cans.
I heard someone was going to make a few honey stoves and offer them on here for cheaper (would be very interested), besides, I like the way Hexi burners don't rely on gathering dry fuel and contain the fuel inside them when you un pack them.

Just picked up one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/genuine-a...Goods_Camping_Accessories&hash=item2ecde88a03

I assume everyone has one or whatever but I'm dead pleased with mine it's just what I wanted. feels quality too. A steal for a tenner i reckoned to myself. (don't ruin the illusion if you have better ;P)

They are. And they are fiddly to put together.

The Bushcraft Store have an interesting one with hinges that folds open but it's twice as heavy and more expensive.

I haven't seen anyone build a DIY flat pack stove yet.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Just been looking at the honey stove a review on the 2009 item. If you had these laser cut in a good batch size say 20 off sets, they would be cheap as chips. I like it.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I will probably be using a gas stove for the challenge, I have an esbit stove and crusader both running on hexi but I don't believe that there is any advantage for a one nighter, and it is a bit smelly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE