Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tony,

I been speaking to Paul, are you bringing the Dutch oven?, how about a comm meal on sat Night?, how about a nice beef stew?

Paul

Are you bringing the Kelly Kettle?

I am bringing my Griddle, Coleman lantern, 25lt water and a Kettle this time.

The list so far
1. Stu - Both nights
2. Edward for Friday night.
3. Paul
4. Tony

Anyone else?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tony, Paul and I headed down to a wood near Ipswich, to try out a new camp site, we arrived just before night fall, in time to collect just enough wood for the night, and start to pitch, up with the Tarps and Hammocks and my First time to use my new Whoopie slings, WOW, no more streach the hammock only droped a smidge when I sat in it, then onto the Evening meal, of Chicken stew followed by warm Mince pies and Custard, the night was full of chatter,

The next day started with a full cooked Breky we collected the rest of the wood we needed for the weekend, and built a pot hanger, and just chilled as the rain fell around us, for tea that night Paul did a toad i the Hole and Caramel Apples... yes we do eat well.

I also got to play with my Whoopie Slings I got from DD Hammocks, these are great No more stretch when I get in the Hammock, which ment I could get my Tarp lower to the ground but saying that I would like a bit more head room and may well get a 4x4, from DD, and slept through the night with out worrying I'll be on the floor in the morning, I must admit though, I was a bit pev'ed about the Tree Huggers that I had brought, they not as robust as my home made ones, and did dig into the bark were as I have never had that before.... just droped a line to DD for their comments...

Then up this morning broke camp and home we went.

2012-11-17 07.56.33.jpg2012-11-17 08.04.27.jpg2012-11-17 08.23.03.jpg2012-11-17 12.32.17.jpg2012-11-17 16.06.12.jpg2012-11-17 17.24.36.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Had an email from Nick at DD Hammocks, offering me a replacement set of Huggers, (not bad less then 8 hrs of working time to respond), of either the older type, which are thicker, or a direct replacement set for the ones I have, you just can not knock the guys at DD for customer service

If your reading this Nick, thank you very much, still a pleased customer here. :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Would anyone be intersted in a night out after xmas say the 28th or 29th December, have a bit of a chill down, and get out the house, may be get to use some next Xmas presents, and do a bushy dinner? ( not Turkey)..

Drink some Port around a fire, and tell some tales about the socks we did not get!!!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
A cunning plan sir! I will get to use my shiny woodgas stove! Count me in

Would have to see if I'm about / not working but I think the idea is great.

Aiming to get it set for Newbourne Campsite, hopefully have time next week to have a look at the place.

And Hopefully I'll be getting a 6 Ltr Dutch oven for Xmas if I am a good boy... well thats what I been told....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Off to see Newbourne Campsite at 13:00 today, hopefully bring back good news to give us at least a friendly Bushcraft home, the Lady seems very nice on the phone, so hopefully until we find a permission we have somewhere to go.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well just got back from Newbourne, the lady was very freindly, still loads of work being done with lights and loo block which will be nice when finished.

Its small i.e. the woodland part is about 100m x 200m there are a couple of small plantations of pine/firs, with a small glade in the middle, a covered area with a wood burner that could be used as a group shelter/area.

Price being asked is £12 per pitch per night - A pitch would be a Hammock and Tarp, wood is £5 per basket just slightly larger then a supermarket shopping basket, the price is for low season and will go up when the loo block is finished......

My thoughts are ok if we have no were to go, but for what we really want it does not fit the bill.

The search goes on....

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Definitely worth looking at but I agree it's quite expensive for hammocking, and £5 for a few logs seems steep. Perhaps I'm just used to doing it for free and am expecting too much.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Definitely worth looking at but I agree it's quite expensive for hammocking, and £5 for a few logs seems steep. Perhaps I'm just used to doing it for free and am expecting too much.

My way of looking at things is that we could give the campsite a nice little boost of money once or twice a month, especially when we would turn up ring the door bell, go to the site, then the next they would see us is at the end of our stay, bearing that most places seem to charge around £5 per person per night,

I feel that £12 per person per night in effect, when on the website it says "Rates for 2012 are £12 per pitch per night for up to a four man tent." that's £3 per person per night, in season. we would be the only people there, so it would not be a space thing, but for the same 4 people just because the are in hammocks it would cost £48 per night... bit greedy I feel.

I would be interested in trying Orchards again. and they were only charging £7 per night per person if I remember right.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Orchard is a more developed campsite but having stayed there for car camping I can see how it's be a good option for a overnighter.
You thihnking of using this for the Xmas/New year thing?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Orchard is a more developed campsite but having stayed there for car camping I can see how it's be a good option for a overnighter.
You thihnking of using this for the Xmas/New year thing?

Yeah i did wonder if we could, or we could go to the same place we went to last time, just depends who a def.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Right December 29th 2012,

I am looking about a start time of Midday.

I have spoken to Orchards about a over-nighter, and they are able to take us, they will do a deal on wood, and the charge he has agreed on £5 pppn. Some may like to stay on longer.

http://www.orchardcampsite.co.uk/

I am thinking about trying to get a communal meal going, may be do something like a roast using a spit, if someone has a dutch oven we can do roast pots in that. a fire to have a natter around after.

Then a communal cooked breakfast in the morning - BIG COOK UP.....

As far as food is concerned, if we can arrange who gets what nearer the time, i.e. lets split it equaly.

Be good to see a few new people out and taking part,

so who's up for it,

Please only put your name down if you are coming, as the last time I booked it we had a group of about 5 and only Two of us turned up, and I looked a bit silly..

Add you name and Paste the list below..

1. Stu

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE