Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
great to get out last night, bit damp cold and wet, the temp must have droped quite low in the woods, I only took my wool blanket last night..... from now on i'll have the sleeping bag with me.... was up at 6 ish lighting the fire for warmth, lol and a cuppa... forgot to fill me flask before bed this time.. DOH!!!!!!!.

Be interested in finding out more about the location Ben,

Been speaking with Tony last night and it looks like depending on the date end of Oct might be a long weekend at Sussex... :), may ask if we an spend an extra night there as well.

BenCalver

Tenderfoot
Would of been nice to get out last night but ended up getting stuck on a14 at Huntingdon so didn't get back from work till 7.

Place is farm land in Tattingstone, connected to Alton Water Reservoir.
9y6abyju.jpg

Also plan on asking a farmer down Foxhall.
y5edaty5.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to get him to allow us there, as you can see, very big woodland. Looks unused.

I'll update bout these two places soon as possible.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Would of been nice to get out last night but ended up getting stuck on a14 at Huntingdon so didn't get back from work till 7.

Place is farm land in Tattingstone, connected to Alton Water Reservoir.

Hopefully I'll be able to get him to allow us there, as you can see, very big woodland. Looks unused.

I'll update bout these two places soon as possible.

I spent last night in a nice warm bed...lol think a week ender would be good at some time soon.

They look great places, be good to see how these go.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Does anyone feel like doing a Sat night (6th Oct) at the Colchester location, arriving about miday setting up so we have time to explore, and get a few things done then, say there untill sunday afternoon, ?

Be a good time to may be take the ducth oven and have a stew & dumplings... I am sure we can share carrying it!!!!!!.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I cant make Friday, so will aim to be there for about 13:00 hrs on the sat, my lad will be with me as well, I am aim to make a full day on the sunday as well., who else is up for it apart from Roman myself and Rum if he can make it?

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Visited the site today, the others have obviously been back, the site has more seating, a large log table, the fire which we tidied up has now been dug up and is a fire pit. It's looking great.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Visited the site today, the others have obviously been back, the site has more seating, a large log table, the fire which we tidied up has now been dug up and is a fire pit. It's looking great.

saw your pic looks good, just ordered a Coyote 4.5 from DD as my lad is comming this weekend, hope i got enough hammock suspension stuff......

perhaps we may be able to lash/ add some more home comforts to help the site along as well.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
View attachment 12718 I came and had a go at a swedish log stove, it worked eventually lol. I've left it part used for you to laugh at on Saturday boys!

Lol, not bad mate be good to see it in action,

Got my new 4.5m in Coyote toady so looking forward to using it, hope i like the colour......!!!!!!

Are you there both nights Paul?, I should get there for about 13:00 ish on the Sat.

Anyone else coming to this one ????????, before it starts to get cold.........

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Stu I put my coyote tarp up on SUNDAY when I was playing in the woods, I love the colour it blends in well. I will try and speak to Bill at Troopers army surplus in Colchester and see if him and his mates will be at the site this weekend as they have obviously been there recently. Won't be a problem as there's loads of room. I'm getting a Nomad Camping hammock for crimbo, as a spare for my boys, saw it on bushcraft store £50 includes mossie net and tarp. Oh I carved a POON! LOL I mean spoon, it is worth a laugh.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu I put my coyote tarp up on SUNDAY when I was playing in the woods, I love the colour it blends in well. I will try and speak to Bill at Troopers army surplus in Colchester and see if him and his mates will be at the site this weekend as they have obviously been there recently. Won't be a problem as there's loads of room. I'm getting a Nomad Camping hammock for crimbo, as a spare for my boys, saw it on bushcraft store £50 includes mossie net and tarp. Oh I carved a POON! LOL I mean spoon, it is worth a laugh.

Yeah..... sounds good, lets see your poon.....lol

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Great time yesterday with Paul and it was great to have my lad with me as well, first time for him in a hammock under a tarp... he said he loved it, as he was there i wandered of my normal pasta and sausage diet for over nighters, and fed him with a sausage stew, with Bramley apples and custard for pudding....

during the afternoon, we set up - teaching Edward to hammock and tarp it, sorted out a pot hanger from two tripods, wood for the fire, and some instruction about sharps. after Evening meal, had a chat and finished off the evening the way all kids like, and that was with Marshmallows.

Sunday morning found a chilly lad, and Paul, with the fire going for Breakfast, a couple of sausage and bacon wrap, and a couple of cuppas in him, he was feeling less chilled, following that went through what was in my tinder box and how to use it, Edward and I wandered through the woods collecting kindling ready for his first attempt of lighting a fire with a Fero rod, he picked the tinder he would like to use - cotton wool and a cotton wool/ Vaseline mix, three or four strikes later he had lit a fire and got the kindling burning well...

following that we packed up, and dropped off to his mum a very tried Son that just want to go and play again.:D:D:D:D.

A couple of pic's would have liked to get more but - battery run out.....

2012-10-06 16.45.09.jpg

2012-10-06 17.04.02.jpg

2012-10-06 19.00.13.jpg

2012-10-06 19.09.40.jpg

2012-10-06 16.45.36.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I spoke to Jane at Newbourne Woodland camp site last night, shes quite keen for us to use the site as a regular home, and it sounds like we will have free run when the place is empty, ie we can have fires on the ground ect, I am off to see here over the next few days, to see what we can do there, will keep you upto date......

Images of the woodland, ok not quite an old wood but hey its woodland

http://www.newbourne-campsite.co.uk/woodland-camping-suffolk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE