Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Stu

Count me in, is this two nights?

If so and we don't get many takers do we want to go further afield, say Thetford? just a thought.

But count me in anyway.

Regards
Rum

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Tony,

Yeah be good to make it a two nighter in Thetford, if not a static camp maybe two night in two places, lol.

Good to speak on the blower today, Yeah its a good idea for a drink in the Pub this Friday 6th April to have a couple of drinks, for a chat to see were to go, and a social, then on the Friday 14th head to Thetford after work.

Anyone want to Join us in the Pub?

The Suffolk Punch 19:30 April 6th

http://maps.beerintheevening.com/?pcb=IP1+5DN

Then meet at yours at 18:00 on the 14th April ready to go to Thetford..... fuel allowing or it may be Chantry Park, lol.

Any Takers............

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Good time out in the woods, with Rum, thank you for your company, the laughs, and boy did we laugh.....

Got there in just enough time to get the Tarps up and find some wood for a fire before the night drew in, and the temp to drop enough to make your breath show. so I put on the kettle and made some food, then time to go to bed, slept with the tarp open.

got up the next day to gather some more wood, find some nice fat wood. then tapped a couple of Birch's for some sap, then sat down and decided to try to carve my first spoon........

we thought we would have a quite weekend getting away from noise and an the hustle and bustle of life...... yeah like hell, all we heard was car racing going on at the next door airstrip until about 5 o'clock... the it went quite until the load raver music started early evening... AAARRRGHHHH.... but we had to chuckle at it.

After a good night sleep believe it or not, think it was due to the fact of tiredness more then anything else. I closed up the tarp as the wind was getting up, but i like to see the woods when i wake up, but hey better then a draught waking you up. we got up and decided to leave at mid moring,

A few pics here.

P1010009.jpg
Our camp site

P1010010.jpg
Another veiw

P1010011.jpg
Rum swinging in his hammock

P1010012.jpg
My pit with the Under Quilt that I will have to mod more

P1010014.jpg
The Fat Wood we collected.

P1010015.jpg
Rum trying to make a Feather stick

P1010016.jpg
Fire with my Trout Fillets cooking next to the fire....mmmmmm

P1020017.jpg
Oh and my poon..... my first attempt at one.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi All

I would like to second ever thing Stu has put in his thread, it was a very nice two days and good company Stu.
Just to add we also taped a butch tree for sap and had a drink.

So Stu when are you bring out the sleeping bag and hammock work out DVD, as I almost weed myself as you were working out what should go were on it and getting in and out of your sleeping bag. lol

I have a few pick I will email over to you Stu.

I think the term Stu came out with some's it up "they don't know how lucky we are"

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
LOL,

Tony, i still cant see how getting in and out of a Hammock was so funny...........

Looks like I got the 25th May off... so looking good for the Visit to the Sussex lot....

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Great to see the both of you had a really good time. I've been trying to find some places to camp and not doing to well. Once i have some more kit I will try and join up with you all.
Ta.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I been doing some mods to my home-made under-quilt last night, broke my last needle on the sewing machine, so had to pop into Elmden on the way home to get some more, hopefully get it sorted soon,

would like to do another night out soon to try it out, also got some metal today towards the Fire grate.... may even go down the workshop to weld it together this week.

maybe look for another quite spot like that lovely little clearing we found.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
It was like you were doing a workout, I as also thinking of what hard work it can be to get in and out of a flees liner sleeping bag ans a bivie bag and the fight to get back in wilts balancing in a hammock.

Now that is a workout lol

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tony,

Update I now got the 25th off confirmed so all go for next month to Sussex Group to see how thing are done there.

its a shame that after the first florish of interest thing seemed to have died, but at least us two are getting out and about.

Hopefully also get the grill/griddle made this week.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Stu

I am off the second week in May so do something then?

I have email you the photos I had taken last weekend.

Regards
Rum

Hi, i would be interested in a night, cant make a week day tho at te mo, def a sat or sunday night., i'll put up some of the pics soon

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Stu

Yep that would be good, are you going for a camp or just to pop over? have you got a date in mind?
I thought some of the photos came out well, some were a little bit blurry.

Regards
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Stu

Yep that would be good, are you going for a camp or just to pop over? have you got a date in mind?
I thought some of the photos came out well, some were a little bit blurry.

Regards
Rum

I would like to pop and stay over night if they will let us, lol.

Heres some of the pics.

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0175%u00252520%25281%2529.jpg

Not a bad weekend apart from the saturday afternoon were it really hammered it down for a few mins... hence the under the tarp pic, and also two pics how we left the site.

tim_c

Feb 23, 2012
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hello all -- I've posted a public introduction & I thought I'd post a local introduction too... I'm Tim from Bury St. Edmunds. I like to cycle & walk. I don't drive. My family situation means I can't spend any nights away from home at the moment.

I've skimmed through the thread and looked at the pics' -- Looks very interesting. I look forward to seeing you lot in action.

Among the things I'd like to learn is how to set-up my dutch army poncho as a tarp. Knots (the only knot I really understand is the thumb knot, and I'm not totally sure about that one!). Caring for sharps would also be handy. And keeping pots & pans / eating utensils clean over multi-night trips.

Tim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE