Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Dont drink booze when its cold/cool, due to the effect of it on body temp.... so i'll stick with the tea/coffee :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Carl

Can you please bring your Chrono, I would like to check my Muzzle Velocity. before I strip and rebuild.. :)

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
I was thinking it might be nice to put s few pound in extra each to get a bottle of wine our something to say thanks to the land owner?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Got another DD 4x4 tarp coming this week... I'm going to attempt to modify my existing one before the weekend.
Wanting to add additional tapes to have off-center ridgelines, as well as points to add extra guy lines to prevent the wind from making it bow in so much. Also wanting to add interior tapes for an interior ridgeline (I want to hang my lantern up, damnit)

I've replaced the ground stakes my Mrs "borrowed" from me, so there shouldn't be a repeat of the tarp failure I had at this month's meet. In hindsight, what I should've done at the last meet is made some additional pegs... but you live and learn, right?

Put in an order for more Amsteel/Dyneema, too, so if you're bringing along your hammock and are tempted by the idea of whoopie slings, get yourself some tree huggers and karabiners, bring them along, and I'll teach you how to make your own whoopies (you can keep the ones you make, no charge) :)

I'll be going through the Bergen on Wednesday night since I've transfered some of my gear into another rucksack for the kayak. Still not entirely sure which pack I'll bring, though. On the one hand, my big Karrimor has the best suspension on it of all the packs I own, but on the other hand it's really big (and I want to try and bring minimal gear this time around).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Got another DD 4x4 tarp coming this week... I'm going to attempt to modify my existing one before the weekend.
Wanting to add additional tapes to have off-center ridgelines, as well as points to add extra guy lines to prevent the wind from making it bow in so much. Also wanting to add interior tapes for an interior ridgeline (I want to hang my lantern up, damnit)

I install three hanging tapes inside all my tarps for an internal ridge line between the "inner most ridge hangers" for the same reason, it also allows the tarp to be shortened down with out losing the internal ridge line,

I'll be doing some work with the tarp pitched to work out the best positioning for side lines this weekend, I've worked out were I think the best positions are for the pitching stresses are, but want to see if I'am right in real life before I sew, I want to see the effects of the different pitches to the alignment of the stresses in the fabric,

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
My intention is to basically make two additional ridgeline tape rows exactly between the center of the tarp and the outer tapes (so 25%, 50% and 75% through the length of the tarp there will be ridge tapes). Whichever set I'm using for the ridge, I'd then have a row to add either separate lines to keep the tarp from bowing in, or add a second ridgeline (trees permitting) lower down for the same affect (which would distribute any stresses over the entire width of the tarp, instead of concentrated on individual tapes).

I'm just worried because the last time I tried to modify a tarp, the needle jammed while the feeders kept feeding. Net result: tore the tarp badly! Granted, that was a while ago and a tarp of much lower quality than these DD things. I figure at least if I have another one coming, if I do mess up the modifications, well, I still have a tarp to use :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi all, what is the situation regarding water at the new site. I have a 25ltr jerry I can fill and bring, if required.
Cheers,
Colin.

There is water at the farm yard about 1/2 mile away, so you will need a container for your requirements, I will be taking my 25 ltr as I dont fancy visiting the yard to often.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi stu, i will bring the rope and chrono, if you can think of anything else that could be useful let me know.

hi ReamviThantos, your Berghaus Vulcan 2 im interested, if you could bring it id like to have a look please.

sj, i will bring your welding gloves, could you bring the 10 ziplock bags & the 4x 5"tac tie's please.

i will also bring 25L of water.

later carl

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Now Fully UPDATED Please read ALL the INFO....

3 Nighter Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Meeting 3rd to 6th May 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

This is a new site that I have not seen...

If you are coming at a different time I please let me know I'll PM you my number.[/COLOR]

For those that like the Idea of a walk in they can leave the cars at the Farm and Walk-in to check out how light their kit is, it looks like about a 1K walk by road, and any others can leave the cars at the farm as well, remember it is a dirt track up to the Wood.

Cost
The charge is £10 for the two nights or £15 for 3 nights, (if you want to stay 1 night then I am afraid for this one, it will still be £10 the cost is being dictated by the site at the mo..) - I have just had to pay a Deposit to secure the site... so I hope its a good one... I will collect payment for the site as you arrive in Cash please.

We will be allowed to glean Wood from the site,

Group Meals

There will be a Saturday Night Group Meal, made this time by Kirkland as he has offered, he is offering a Curry, Thank you for the offer Kirkland.

Simon has offered to do another nights Meal as well..Thank You for the offer Simon I think its aimed for Friday night, Simon can you confirm, I will edit this post.

(The Group meals are normally supplied but the person making them then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Please say which you would like so the guys know how many to cater for..

Facilities
This is in a Woodland that is not camped by anyone else, The toilets and Water will be back at the farm yard where there is also a shower - As far as water goes please remember that there is NO tap in this woodland, so bring enough water/carriers to last you your stay in line with your usage.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, as you would if we were in the wild.. I know you probably have guessed that, but thought I would remind you, please stick to using the defined area... I have been wondering about a latrine due to the amount of us there, and the amount of times we may want to use the woodlands in the future. and don't really want loads of little scratch, burn, cover, and mark areas.

Other Info
I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of tarps, for a group shelter, Carl can you bring your rope again please,

Can people also before they leave check their pitch, and remove any Items and clean up, not leave it to others, we would not want the same thing happening again as last meet, Please can every one bring a bin bag so we can make sure we clear up after us, we are going to have to be careful of the fire scare we leave, so we will have to cut a fire place and then replace, - it is a probation trail with this site

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory ....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

The Landowners have accepted the invite to come and drop in for a cuppa with us, as they are very interested in what we do.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

Nearest A&E Department

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals, and how many nights your staying.

List of Attending/ Meals
1. Big Stu - 3 nights - Both Meals
2. SJStuart - 3 Nights - Both Meals
3. Roman - 2 nights definite maybe 3 - Both Meals
4, mitch66 -2-nights definte, maybe 3 - Both Meals
5. Zeon98 - 3 nights - Both Meals
6. Mikesmith777 - 2 nights (Sat & Sun) -Self Cater (Fri may still be an option, if I can get out of working the evening!)
7. Reamvi Thantos - 2 nights - Both Meals
8. Crosslandkelly - 3 nights - Both meals.
9. Richard Stansfield - 2 nights - Self Cater
10. Rumcelt- 2 nights -Both Meals
11. Wittler Kev - Possible

List of Activities - Can people please champion the activities, to be done on a as and when basis..

Thank you to the attendee's for running activity's as this will promote ideas and the passing of knowledge, and will make it a weekend of group cooperation :cool:

1. Spoon Carving
2. Natural Shelter Building -as long as we stick within the SSI condtions
3. Tarpology
4. Fire Lays & Lighting Methods
5. Use and Care of Sharps
6. Working with Dyneema/Amsteel (making Whoopie Slings)

Just over a week and a half away and the excitement is rising...:D:D,

Last edited:

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Now Fully UPDATED Please read ALL the INFO....

3 Nighter Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Meeting 3rd to 6th May 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

Cost
The charge is £10 for the two nights or £15 for 3 nights, (if you want to stay 1 night then I am afraid for this one, it will still be £10 the cost is being dictated by the site at the mo..) - I have just had to pay a Deposit to secure the site... so I hope its a good one... I will collect payment for the site as you arrive in Cash please.

We will be allowed to glean Wood from the site,

Group Meals

There will be a Saturday Night Group Meal, made this time by Kirkland as he has offered, he is offering a Curry, Thank you for the offer Kirkland.

Simon has offered to do another nights Meal as well..Thank You for the offer Simon I think its aimed for Friday night, Simon can you confirm, I will edit this post.

(The Group meals are normally supplied but the person making them then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Please say which you would like so the guys know how many to cater for..

Facilities
This is in a Woodland that is not camped by anyone else, The toilets and Water will be back at the farm yard where there is also a shower - As far as water goes please remember that there is NO tap in this woodland, so bring enough water/carriers to last you your stay in line with your usage.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, as you would if we were in the wild.. I know you probably have guessed that, but thought I would remind you, please stick to using the defined area... I have been wondering about a latrine due to the amount of us there, and the amount of times we may want to use the woodlands in the future. and don't really want loads of little scratch, burn, cover, and mark areas.

Other Info
I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of tarps, for a group shelter, Carl can you bring your rope again please,

Can people also before they leave check their pitch, and remove any Items and clean up, not leave it to others, we would not want the same thing happening again as last meet, Please can every one bring a bin bag so we can make sure we clear up after us, we are going to have to be careful of the fire scare we leave, so we will have to cut a fire place and then replace, - it is a probation trail with this site

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory ....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

The Landowners have accepted the invite to come and drop in for a cuppa with us, as they are very interested in what we do.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

Nearest A&E Department

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals, and how many nights your staying.

List of Attending/ Meals
1. Big Stu - 3 nights - Both Meals
2. SJStuart - 3 Nights - Both Meals
3. Roman - 2 nights definite maybe 3 - Both Meals
4, mitch66 -2-nights definte, maybe 3 - Both Meals
5. Zeon98 - 3 nights - Both Meals
6. Mikesmith777 - 2 nights (Sat & Sun) -Self Cater (Fri may still be an option, if I can get out of working the evening!)
7. Reamvi Thantos - 2 nights - Both Meals
8. Crosslandkelly - 3 nights - Both meals.
9. Richard Stansfield - 2 nights - Self Cater
10. Rumcelt- 2 nights -Both Meals
11. Wittler Kev - Possible

List of Activities - Can people please champion the activities, to be done on a as and when basis..

Thank you to the attendee's for running activity's as this will promote ideas and the passing of knowledge, and will make it a weekend of group cooperation

1. Spoon Carving
2. Natural Shelter Building -as long as we stick within the SSI condtions
3. Tarpology
4. Fire Lays & Lighting Methods
5. Use and Care of Sharps
6. Working with Dyneema/Amsteel (making Whoopie Slings)

Just over a week and a half away and the excitement is rising...,

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE