Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Anyone wanting to place an order for some "Look what we found" camping meals? PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an e-mail invite which gives you £10 off your first order (and if you're ordering today you also get 40% off orders over £40 and free shipping).

Not trying to advertise for them or anything, but I have the opportunity to pass along a £10 saving, so it'd be nice to do so!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Crazy day!
Missed delivery of the new 4x4 tarp (and another hank of Amsteel/Dyneema) because I was on the last day of my driving course (doing the test tomorrow), came home to one of my hens nursing 10 newly-hatched chicks, and tomorrow I apparently have a shipment of camping meals coming (one of each from their entire range, to try them all and see which I like best)

Conditions-permitting, I'll be back out on the river Alde tomorrow afternoon (after my driving test) with the Mrs in the kayak. Once we're done there I'll have to get my camping gear repacked for the weekend.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Good luck for tomorrow mate. I've not started packing but all my gears in the same room so shouldn't pose to much of a problem.

Thanks for the luck, mate.

I'm usually pretty-much packed for the next trip out within an hour of getting home from one... but I'll be packing this time pretty-much last minute!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
You know, I was thinking I'd be able to get away with warm weather gear, but it's just dropped to freezing outside (sod's law right there) so now I'm not so sure anymore :(

Not worried, what the weather will be, as long as I am in the woods... :), just cant wait, only two sleeps.... as my little one used to say :)

Three nights in the woods...... can nay beat it

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Failed my test (doesn't matter how or why) but life goes on!

Picked up the second 4x4 tarp from the post depot today (along with the additional Amsteel/Dyneema, some of which will become another ridgeline).

I also got a massive box of the bright orange ground pegs I use, so if anyone wants any, £0.30 per peg (which is basically what I paid for them by buying in bulk). I've got 110 of them, but I'm only willing to part with about 40-50 of them (we use these pegs a lot). Let me know ASAP so I know how many to bring (not going to carry more than I need because I'm trying to save pack weight, especially now as it looks like I'll be coming by bike... somehow)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Guys,

I no your just about to go on a weekender, but does anyone have any idea when the next meet will be?
I would love to get along to one but I was out last weekend, and its 2 of my daughters birthdays so no chance of getting out this week.

Just a rough idea would be great so I can check my work shifts.

Have a great time
Steve

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi Guys,

I no your just about to go on a weekender, but does anyone have any idea when the next meet will be?
I would love to get along to one but I was out last weekend, and its 2 of my daughters birthdays so no chance of getting out this week.

Have a great time
Steve

It's the first weekend of every month.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
That's annoying Simon. I think they have to fail you the first time or they don't make enough money.
I'm sitting in the sun having a beer instead of packing. Need to get on really, buddy tomorrow.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
That's annoying Simon. I think they have to fail you the first time or they don't make enough money.
I'm sitting in the sun having a beer instead of packing. Need to get on really, buddy tomorrow.

Gotta fill the quotas, I suppose.

Bet if I was blonde with e-cups (instead of bald with e-cups... see what I did there?) they'd have passed me first time!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi, sj sorry about your test. if you was blonde with e-cups (instead of bald with e-cups) im sure someone would give you a lift friday. lol

It's okay... I'll distribute my gear amongst the three boxes, rear seat and tank bag on the bike, carry the Bergen empty (or close there-to) and pack the Bergen on arrival.

I can get a week's shopping for a family of 4 (+2 dogs and 5 guinea pigs) onto the bike anyway, but it's not quite as "simple" as it is in the boot of a car.

I just wish that I'd failed because of something that I alone was responsible for (well, obviously I wish I'd passed, but I mean in terms of failure). The circumstance was that I needed to merge right to take the third exit off a roundabout (to join the A12). I slowed down and allowed traffic in the right-hand lane to pass so-as to create a good gap to merge into, and having done all the observation and engaged my indicator, the tw@t in the silver Audi behind me decided it'd be hilarious to merge right (while accelerating) without signaling, simultainiously holding down his horn. This meant I had to swing back into the left-hand lane. The tw@t was clearly laughing his head off as he went tearing-bottom past me.
At that point, the examiner decided to mark it down as a "serious" fault (instead of a minor) despite the fact that I had actually done everything precisely as I should've.

Apparently it's my fault that the tw@t behind broke the rules of the road.

That's life, right? If I were a complete tw@t myself, I'd probably have my license right now!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Guys,

Have a great time
Steve

These are the weekends I have posted on Page 40, I will be aiming fro these every month, Hopefully after this weekend we can fix with the Land Owner

May 3rd and 4th 2013
June 7th and 8th 2013
July 5th and 6th 2013
August 3rd and 4th
September 7th and 8th 2013

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi Simon, yes bad news you failed, you can surely appeal a decision like that. i wasn't there of course but if you feel it's unfair then give it a go. I know someone who quite a few years ago had friends waiting in the test office who overheard testers commenting that she was someone who would't pass (she was black and the friends were white) she duly failed and then appealled when advised what the friends had heard and the fail was over turned.

New rucksack all packed (three times) god i love it.

Carl, yes i'll make sure the Vucan is available for you to view on Friday.

Stu, i'll give you a call when i get there. It will be after work but not sure what time it will be. Probably later in the avo.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
If I appeal, there goes any chance of me ever being allowed to pass by the examiners (my instructor has had experience in appealing against a clearly bs decision by an examiner there before, and it didn't end well for his candidates)

Besides, they have "fail quotas" to bring in more revenue... and if they hadn't failed me for that nonesense, they'd have made another excuse (that's how it works).

I'll just play the moron and pay even more money to take the test I should rightfully have passed today again. Who knows, perhaps if I do it at the end of a month, they'll have met their fail quota and will allow me to rightfully pass this time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE