Suffolk Bushcraft Group

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well... I have had an email back from the Farmer and yes its £10 per person for the weekend.....

the question is should I book it?..:rolleyes: for the first date and see how it goes, and what the site is like, I may ask as it is a Bank Holiday Weekend, can we stay the Sunday night as well for £15 per person, who would be interested in the three nighter... before I do ask, I want to able able to say I have "X" amount of people that want to do Three nights, so I will need to know for definite it you can.

1. Big Stu - 3 Nights
2. SJStuart - 3 Nights (definite)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Hi guys (and gals) I'm ordering some steel for my knife making session with Stuart and was wondering would anyone like some 01 steel 4mm thick x 30mm wide x 250mm long? This bar stock is enough to make a replica of the Ray Mears or Arthur Wright classic British Bush craft knife.

Let me know cheers

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi guys (and gals) I'm ordering some steel for my knife making session with Stuart and was wondering would anyone like some 01 steel 4mm thick x 30mm wide x 250mm long? This bar stock is enough to make a replica of the Ray Mears or Arthur Wright classic British Bush craft knife.

Let me know cheers

Sounds good, mate. The 440 stainless I've got is way too thick to reasonably use in a knife (I mean, not without some seriously difficult milling work anyway, my milling machine won't go through, it's not nearly good enough but that's what you get for buying cheap tools I guess). If you've got some spare, I'll take you up on that. I don't have any old files or anything like that to use :(

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'll tell you this much: I'm never going to worry about my Whoopie Slings failing! No, sir!

Yesterday I had to move a broken car off my driveway, only one of the brakes had jammed on so I couldn't push it by hand.
I don't have a tow strap anymore (loaned it out, never got it back... typical).
I came inside and scratched my head for a moment, then had a funny idea (more as a joke than any expectation of it working)... I'd use a whoopie sling to tow the car out!

Okay, so I ran the fixed loop through the tow loop on the busted car, and (using a metal shackle) the continious loop around the tow loop on my Fabia (I wasn't going to risk using my Toyota because I actually like that car).
Started up the Fabia (having ensured that the busted car was in neuteral and had no handbrake on, of course) and slowly crept it forward.

Behold, it dragged the busted car right off my driveway, complete with the jammed wheel (which dug a trench as it went).

I was then able to jack the busted car up and remove the jammed brake, enabling me to push it by hand the rest of the way.

Who'd have thought that a 2.5mm Amsteel whoopie sling had the necessary strength to drag a car?

If it can do that, there's no way in hell it's going to break under the weight of a person :)

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
1. Big Stu - 3 nights
3. Roman - 2 nights definite maybe 3
4, mitch66 -2-nights definte maybe 3
5. Zeon98 - 3 nights

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'll tell you this much: I'm never going to worry about my Whoopie Slings failing! No, sir!

Yesterday I had to move a broken car off my driveway, only one of the brakes had jammed on so I couldn't push it by hand.
I don't have a tow strap anymore (loaned it out, never got it back... typical).
I came inside and scratched my head for a moment, then had a funny idea (more as a joke than any expectation of it working)... I'd use a whoopie sling to tow the car out!

Okay, so I ran the fixed loop through the tow loop on the busted car, and (using a metal shackle) the continious loop around the tow loop on my Fabia (I wasn't going to risk using my Toyota because I actually like that car).
Started up the Fabia (having ensured that the busted car was in neuteral and had no handbrake on, of course) and slowly crept it forward.

Behold, it dragged the busted car right off my driveway, complete with the jammed wheel (which dug a trench as it went).

I was then able to jack the busted car up and remove the jammed brake, enabling me to push it by hand the rest of the way.

Who'd have thought that a 2.5mm Amsteel whoopie sling had the necessary strength to drag a car?

If it can do that, there's no way in hell it's going to break under the weight of a person :)

You would be surprised how much weight 2.5mm Dyneema will take, if I remember right its just under 600 Kg, but that would be the SWL, so would probably be more like 1500 Kg in real... as I have said in a previous post, seen a kite pull a Volvo Estate laden with kites and kit...back wards with a hand brake on in a high wind using a 1000 lb braided line, similar to the ridge line that I use....

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Just got back from a good walk in Rendlesham Forrest, I had my first proper drink from a birch tree, really refreshing, been wanting to do that for a while now. I wanted to collect a piece of birch bark to make a match box like the one Ray Mears makes on You Tube but struggled to find a suitable piece so will have to try again another day when there is someone more experienced about to point me in the right direction of how to get the right bark correctly. I tried out my new Aurthur Wright Bushcraft Knife and collected some really good strong Fat wood, it smells beautiful.
I cant complain about being busy at work but I wish I had more time to get out and be in the woods. Its so relaxing. I wish I had got into bushcraft years ago.......... I absolutely love it....... man Ive got a lot to learn though, I feel like ive got a lot of catching up to do and cant learn it fast enough.

No Idea why I'm posting this but what the hell.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
You would be surprised how much weight 2.5mm Dyneema will take, if I remember right its just under 600 Kg, but that would be the SWL, so would probably be more like 1500 Kg in real... as I have said in a previous post, seen a kite pull a Volvo Estate laden with kites and kit...back wards with a hand brake on in a high wind using a 1000 lb braided line, similar to the ridge line that I use....

It's impressive stuff. I honestly thought it'd snap at one end or the other (the points where it was connected to the tow loops)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just got back from a good walk in Rendlesham Forrest, I had my first proper drink from a birch tree, really refreshing, been wanting to do that for a while now. I wanted to collect a piece of birch bark to make a match box like the one Ray Mears makes on You Tube but struggled to find a suitable piece so will have to try again another day when there is someone more experienced about to point me in the right direction of how to get the right bark correctly. I tried out my new Aurthur Wright Bushcraft Knife and collected some really good strong Fat wood, it smells beautiful.
I cant complain about being busy at work but I wish I had more time to get out and be in the woods. Its so relaxing. I wish I had got into bushcraft years ago.......... I absolutely love it....... man Ive got a lot to learn though, I feel like ive got a lot of catching up to do and cant learn it fast enough.

I think many of us here just get out whenever we can. I'd be out right now if I wasn't having to go through my books for the tax man.

Sounds like you've had a fun morning, though.

As for "catching up"... we're all students, no matter how much we may already know. Never stop learning :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Cause you can... lol, and your enjoying it, it gets addictive, and there is always loads to learn, you never stop learning, that's what I like about Bushcraft...glad your enjoying it Toby, it will get more exciting as time goes on...... :). I wish I had not given up what I used to do before I got married.... I would not of forgotten loads and lost the skills that I had... but I am enjoying relearning... :)

I wish I had been out today, but I was down the workshop yesterday with Matt (my mate), we where making a few bits and doing some more on my knife, and another mate with a Landy came came along to use the workshop to service his 110, but.... he then mentioned the dreaded MOT.... and showed us his bulkhead...:eek: and a hole in the Chassis.... when is his MOT?.... Monday week.. so today I have spent most the last 8 hours pulling a 110 about, fabricating new parts for the bulkhead... and welding... not really what I wanted to do today..

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Well... I have had an email back from the Farmer and yes its £10 per person for the weekend.....

the question is should I book it?..:rolleyes: for the first date and see how it goes, and what the site is like, I may ask as it is a Bank Holiday Weekend, can we stay the Sunday night as well for £15 per person, who would be interested in the three nighter... before I do ask, I want to able able to say I have "X" amount of people that want to do Three nights, so I will need to know for definite if you can.

1. Big Stu - 3 Nights

Sounds like a great place Stuart,
would love to be able to do a 3 nighter, but will not be able to give you a definite till nearer the time. It all depends on work. Hope that is Ok.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sounds like a great place Stuart,
would love to be able to do a 3 nighter, but will not be able to give you a definite till nearer the time. It all depends on work. Hope that is Ok.

Thats OK Mike, I just sent an email to they guy saying we will be there, for two nights, but would like the option of a third as its a Bank Holiday weekend.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
3 Nighter Mothly Suffolk Bushcraft Meeting 3rd to 6th May 2013

This is a new site that I have not seen...

For those already in the list please can you ammend.

Booked with This will be a Three Nighter for those that want it - I am going straight from work on the Friday, but arrival after midday is good.

All Welcome,Newbies, all levels of experiance, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

The charge is £10 for the two nights or £15 for 3 nights, (if you want to stay 1 night then I am afraid for this one, it will stil be £10 the cost is being dictated by the site at the mo..) - I have just had to pay a Deposit to secure the site... so I hope its a good one...

We will be allowed to glean Wood from the site,

There will be a Saturday Night Group Meal, made this time by Kirkland as he has offered, Thank you for the offer Kirkland.

This is in a Woodland that is not camped by anyone else as far as I am aware there are no toilets, other then the main camp site, I do not know how far away these are, I will try to find out more...

Water will need to be taken In for the weekend as I belive there is not a Tap...I am asking if there is one that we may use.

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory ....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

This is going to be wild camping in a real woodland not on their main Campsite.... I am not sure what the veichleur access is at the moment it may be a short walk....

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meal, and how many nights your staying.

If there is any activity you would like to do, just add it to the list, hopefully someone will be able to help, or you could show someone what to do.. :). If I remember right someone did say they would like a go at spoon carving, so no doubt that will be on the list .

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 3 nights - Group Meal
3. Roman - 2 nights definite maybe 3
4, mitch66 -2-nights definte maybe 3
5. Zeon98 - 3 nights
6. Mikesmith777 - 3 (nights- provisional)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Water will need to be taken In for the weekend as I belive there is not a Tap...I am asking if there is one that we may use.

There's a lake though, right? Looked on the website and there certainly seems to be a lake.

I can bring my LifeSaver bottle and purify as much water from the lake as we need (and of course there's always the boiling option)

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, as we have not been here before, would it be better to meet at a set time in the car park? then we can all set off in the same direction at once lol. or has the owner given us a camp location for the first night? if you would like my payment pm me your address stu, looking forward to it already. carl

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
There's a lake though, right? Looked on the website and there certainly seems to be a lake.

I can bring my LifeSaver bottle and purify as much water from the lake as we need (and of course there's always the boiling option)

The lake is at the main campsite, we will be in a wood near to the site but not got the full details, apart from its call Slade Wood, I have asked more details, this lunch time I am just waiting for them to come back.

Hi, as we have not been here before, would it be better to meet at a set time in the car park? then we can all set off in the same direction at once lol. or has the owner given us a camp location for the first night? if you would like my payment pm me your address stu, looking forward to it already. carl

I am waiting for the full details at the to come through, the camp will be in the same place for all three nights, its a trail to see if we like it, and he likes us..., he has said that we can look at other parts of the woodland he has during the weekend. again as per normal trying to find a decent woodland at a decent price, has taken a while, so really a suck it and see.

I have said to him that the payment I normally collect on the day, and he seems ok with that, I would rather not change from that as, it got a bit messy last time, with some paying up front to Orchards, all he would like is an idea of head count , if then he asks for more i will have to ask for full payment in advance, as I say I would rather not do it.

Trouble is if we meet at certain times, then it choosing a time that suits all, he knows we are turning up at different times, I have now Booked the Whole Friday off so will be there to hopefully help things to go smooth... even if its a phone call with sat nav location/talk in.

The good thing is I feel that this place may have more benefits for us, once we get settled. speaking to him on the phone, it may be that we have access to all his woodland as well.. fingers crossed... I ve paid the deposit, so hopefully the rest of the info will come..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE