Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Good evening gentlefolk

I just wanted to introduce myself as I live very close to Ipswich and have been collecting a bit of survival/camping kit recently and have been trying to learn some bushcraft and survival skills via books, tv and the interweb when time permits with a view to heading out in the woods for a night or two and just living off the land. I stumbled over this web site on a Google search for Suffolk bushcraft as I wanted to find out where in suffolk I could go to learn more.

I am a country boy, Suffolk born and bred, an engineer by trade and have a few skills but am very much a newbie in the world of bushcraft. I would love to meet up sometime and learn some skills and put to good use some of my kit.

Kind Regards

Toby

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi Toby, and come to orchards for a gentle intro, it's a campsite so good for testing kit ie if you get it wrong the spare kits in the car!
Be good to meet up, and we are a canny bunch
PAUL

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Toby,

Welcome, as Paul says put your self down for the Orchards meet nice safe place to practice and meet like minded people. if you only want to come fro one night then pop along for that , but what I will say more get done on a two nighter.

Hopefully meet you soon

Stu

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Welcome, Toby.

Yeah, there's the monthly meetups which are great (at least, the one I went to in February was and I've heard it was even better at the beginning of March - I was ill and unable to attend sadly)

There's also some of us who either have access to private woodland, or go "stealth camping" elsewheres.

I go out pretty much every week (sometimes every day, life permitting) and I'm just down the road from Woodbridge so if you feel like going out but there's no convienient group meetup, give me a shout and you can come spend a day learning and practising new things on my woodland (I'm out there anyway, might as well share what I'm doing, how and why).

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Thanks for the welcome guys. I will try to get along to meet you soon, I have everything I need except I can't decide on a sleeping bag at the moment, I was looking at the British Army issue Arctic and bivi but not too sure, I do like military kit and want to keep everything to bare minimum Infact I know you may think this is nuts but I carry a Maxpedition Falcon 2 which is small I know, but I use it everyday and attach to it for different pursuits eg mountain biking, motorcycling, shooting and am now on the camping setup. My cook kit is nearly sorted and I have a 2,7m x 3.5m ground sheet and a 3 x 3 DD tarp, yet to be set up, dont know wether to do the hamock thing or not!

I love the idea of stealth camping in the woodbridge area as Im close to woodbridge.

SJStuart, thats a very kind offer, I would love to take you up on your offer as I am right near Woodbridge. Im trying to find time to learn knots off youtube and a few handy web sites and have a good pocket book on edible plants which im getting through but its always better to be shown by someone. To be honest I just like being outside.

Hopefully I can bring something to the party too or at least help fetch and carry.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
You cant go far wrong with the Arctic sack , the only prob is the bulk of it, but every one says that, As far as hammocking goes, I don't think you can beat it, much more comfortable then the floor, I do have a spare one if you think you may like to give it a go, when you come to a meet.

the next time I am out will be the 30th March for a wild one, dont know were, but may be at our Rendlesham spot , or may be near colchester at the one that Paul has just located.

I think you will like the Group meets at Orchards its a safe place to try new things and of course its been mentioned there's always a car full of kit and somewhere to easily dry sleep, lol, remember every newbie brings something to a group, and we're always open to new methods and ideas.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well, any time you want to go on out there and practise, you give me a shout. I can show you all the knots, what works and what doesn't, and even some cool ways of suspending shelter without knots!

I hope the snow buggers off because repacking a frozen XL tarp isn't my idea of fun ;)

^ Who am I kidding... I love the challenge!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well, any time you want to go on out there and practise, you give me a shout. I can show you all the knots, what works and what doesn't, and even some cool ways of suspending shelter without knots!

I hope the snow buggers off because repacking a frozen XL tarp isn't my idea of fun ;)

^ Who am I kidding... I love the challenge!

I've been using a nice way of not using knots on a ridge line for a while now, well apart from the prussic knot for tension, that will change soon, lol.

and the only knot I use for the hammock is the marlin spike knot... sometimes, depends on tree distance.

As Simon says, best way to learn is get out and have fun...

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I've been using a nice way of not using knots on a ridge line for a while now, well apart from the prussic knot for tension, that will change soon, lol.

and the only knot I use for the hammock is the marlin spike knot... sometimes, depends on tree distance.

As Simon says, best way to learn is get out and have fun...

Yeah, I've grown accustomed to my Figure 9's for the tarp (two on the ridge, two on the top guys for tension... though I'm about to try a few new line setups which only use one Fig 9 for both lines)

The knots I use on my guy-out lines are laughably simple, but have never failed me. They're also quick-release, making packing up less stressful.

I'm also on whoopies for the hammock now (if you remember Stu, I hadn't set up the new hammock when I went to the February meet) so the only knots I use there are (as you say) Marlin Spike (very easy knots to remember and teach).

Like Stu, I highly recommend hammocking over ground dwelling.

I used to be a ground dweller until quite recently (my back just won't take it anymore) and I have to say, not only do I find hammocking more comfortable... it's also easier. That said, a well thought-out pack would be able to cater to both the trees and the ground (doesn't take up any extra room to strap a ground mat to your bag).

Oh and I'm also a Maxpedition nutter (though my winter gear occupies a massive Karrimor bergen)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Ha ha I thought I was the only nutter in to Maxpedition, Im a brand junkie, If it has Maxpedition or Gerber on it, chances are I will buy it. The issue with the sleeping bag for me is Im what you might call festively plump and like a bit of room to get both arms in aswell as my body. I do like the idea of a hamock but may need to invest in something a little more sturdy than 550 paracord to suspecnd me. A night out in Rendlesham would be great.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I have a Snugpak Elite 5 sleeping bag. It's beefy but has an expandable panel for those of us with a little more.... girth. It's only for winter, though, because I normally wouldn't even consider carrying around such a bulky item (my above-freezing sleeping bag is a quarter the packed size, and less than a quarter of the weight)

Nobody uses 550 Paracord to suspend a hammock (at least, no sane person would) just because the dynamic force of someone weighing even 8 stone can easily (and massively) exceed 550lbs

You'd want to use some Whoopie Slings for suspending a hammock.... they're made from Amsteel Blue and can handle a much heavier load than you'd ever impart on it. They're miles better than webbing (lighter, take up less space, stronger and make adjusting the hang on your hammock a doddle without doing any knots)

I'm not a brand junkie, but when I find a brand of repute whose products live up to the reputation and hype, I stick with it loyally. I own more Maxpedition gear than you can shake a stick at, and every single item has a specific purpose.
Cool thing is that Maxpedition have just released a new range of rucksacks to the market with internal frames (perfect for those of us who carrying a slightly heavier load). Trying to get my hands on one now... and will of course review once I have one :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Im what you might call festively plump

well I am 6' 17 1/2 stone with a 49" chest and a trye to match, the Acrtic bag is still very lose on me.... if your going to hammock get a set of whoopies from the start.... if your large then standard rigging is no good... ask most hammockers and they will tell you

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Good advice greatfully received, thanks, sound like I better get a sleeping bag and hammock sorted soon.
Personal recommendation on a hammock is the DD Frontline... mainly because that's what I have and there's literally nothing about it I can complain about :)

In terms of sleeping bag, you get the best thermal protection for size and weight with a down sleeping bag, but they're monsterously expensive! Depends what you're after and what you can afford, really.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
With regards to sleeping bag, main thing for me is that it's lite and packs away small.

Then there's no substitute for down!

I'll be replacing my Snugpak Elite 5 with a down bag for next winter (won't bother right now as the cold weather won't be here much longer, then I can go back to just a wool blanket I carry with me anyway)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Underquilt and a sleeping bag as a quilt.... Thats what i have at least you can still use it as a bag if you need to...... In the summer just go to a wool blanket

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
What a place.... oldham travelodge... Worst onw i have stayed in for years... The room is clean, thats all you can sayabout it.... the food is all reheated..... The place is dead, i look out over a disused building.... And the bar-cafe well is like being outside.....

Should of hammocked it, and cooked dried pasta an charizo in front of a fire.... Now thats living......:):):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE