Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Fire steels - not exactly an expert but I've found it makes much more of a difference what you strike it with.
I've had several people say that a particular fire steel is crap, then it works perfectly well when I scrape it with a can opener.
I've not used any of the very very cheap ones. Mainly the tool logic and mora which I think are both from 'light my fire'.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
It can be the way you are using it, lots of people hold the rod still and move the blade down it, to push the sparks onto the tinder. Where other people hold the blade still, close to the tinder and move the rod up and out the way. That way the blade will bounce most if not all the sparks onto the tinder you are using.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One of the main things I have found with Ferro rod's is that you need a nice square sharp edge, that is not dull and blunt, also the method that Cromm surgests is a good move

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
One of the main things I have found with Ferro rod's is that you need a nice square sharp edge, that is not dull and blunt, also the method that Cromm surgests is a good move

Your spot on, a nice square sharp edge works a lot better. Just went and sharpened mine up on a grinder. Thanks for the tip.:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
thanks all for the advice, I'll just keep trying and trying through summer and making tinder and stuff. I'm pathetic at fire lighting.

Thats one of the good things about getting to a meet, you see others do it, and also pick up loads of tips

Your spot on, a nice square sharp edge works a lot better. Just went and sharpened mine up on a grinder. Thanks for the tip.:)

No problem.. always happy to help :)

hey guys, i know its not much but it's a start, I managed to get a small piece of tissue with some vaseline on it alight in a few tries even with my cheapy ferro rod.
Will keep trying with natural tinders and have a little more perseverance. Sometimes even the tiniest success yields motivation :D

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah thats grand, just remember it is said that the success in getting a fire going is parallel with mind set....

ie if your happy its easier.. if your sad then its harder.. or in another ways.. if your getting the hump with not getting a flame.. then go away and come back when your a bit happier with things :)..

Also practice on a nice day, not when its wet and windy :)

Thanks guys!
I was wondering, as I wanted these, and couldn't find them for a reasonable price, but the auction was for 6 of them (way too many) if anyone wanted some Cyalume "combat" light stick shields?
I have 4 to sell off, and I'd rather sell them at cost to you lot than pay ebay and charge someone a premium.

This is where you can get them : http://www.kitmonster.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/642
The ones I have are also brand new.
WP_20140430_002.jpg

I paid £2.30 each for them (I just don't need 6!, only 2!), and postage won't be much. I can hold onto them and bring them to the July meet it someone wants to take one for a couple of quid?
I don't know, if you want them, let me know. Otherwise I'll have to Ebay them. I can throw in red 12hr Cyalumes for £1.10 so makes it £4.50 for two sticks and the holder.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Yes ozzy I am, but haven't signed up yet, how about you ? I think Stu is too. If that's right I may give Del a ring for him to put all three of us in the same group, what you shooting the recurve? You will be HT then if you use wood arrows with it ?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I will be shooting next weekend, I have signed on already :)..

Richard has been playing with teh course from what I understand.. :),

The buffalo hs not arrived as of the meeting on Monday

Also it was brought up about doing a taster day/weekend event'y thing with Oakwood/Suffolk Bushcraft.. :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE