Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Have just ordered my Snugpak response bag from Amazon. O/G 36 x 16 x 14 cm. £11 + pp. They also have Mylar emergency sleeping bags for £2.99 + pp, might invest in one as well. Can't wait for it now.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I was curious as to weather I would be better off using a tent or tarp & pole to make one, so I spent a bit of time this morning trying to make a tent out of the 4x4 dd tarp and 2 walking poles (like the one made with the 3x3 that seems to be quite popular at the moment) it didn't work. The standard length poles I have, are not long enough to get the apex at the opening high enough causing the whole thing to be quite flappy, the front pole needs to be at least 12" longer, if that problem can be solved it would make a very large tent, probably equal to my 2 man Hilleberg tent, if not a little bit bigger, set up time was around the same too. Weight wise the 4x4 tarp, poles, pegs, lines and groundsheet weighed 7lb, my tent weighed 6.5.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I was curious as to weather I would be better off using a tent or tarp & pole to make one, so I spent a bit of time this morning trying to make a tent out of the 4x4 dd tarp and 2 walking poles (like the one made with the 3x3 that seems to be quite popular at the moment) it didn't work. The standard length poles I have, are not long enough to get the apex at the opening high enough causing the whole thing to be quite flappy, the front pole needs to be at least 12" longer, if that problem can be solved it would make a very large tent, probably equal to my 2 man Hilleberg tent, if not a little bit bigger, set up time was around the same too. Weight wise the 4x4 tarp, poles, pegs, lines and groundsheet weighed 7lb, my tent weighed 6.5.

What about a 14" bit of tube that has a foot at one end to stop it sniking, and has a rod though it at 90 degress about an inch from the top of the tube for the foot of the walking pole to sit on and not slide to far into the tube... light and easy to make :), this would rase the pole by the needed amount :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
On my response pack I cut off the massive and jangly zip pulls replacing them with paracord ones, copied off of one of Simons videos. [video=youtube;skc2x_QGEYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skc2x_QGEYk[/video]

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I did get a bit of pipe and do that Stu, but all up for me as the 2 set ups weigh the same I will keep using my tent. I was surprised and dissapointed at the weights being almost identical, no doubt it I had carbon poles, titanium pegs, dyneema cord and a tyvek ground sheet it would weigh less, but I don't.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Holy cow, the Ghost can push an arrow! !!! When are we going to the club next? I know there's a club shoot the first weekend of Feb, but I think I am in London that weekend.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Is it a keeper then Steve?

I think Stu mentioned the Sunday 26th, that is the day after the work party, I cant make this weekend as Vic is working, I may be able to go over during the week though.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
On my response pack I cut off the massive and jangly zip pulls replacing them with paracord ones, copied off of one of Simons videos.

Glad to hear it's been useful to people. Simple idea... one I wish I could use on the new pack (which arrived today) but unfortunately I'm not allowed to modify it in any way until I have exhaustively tested it, made all my notes (Paracord zipper pulls being #1 on the list) and discussed my ideas for a higher-end "mil-spec" version with the company.

Done any Paracord Grab Strap Wraps yet? :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I wanna live where Simon lives. he's got some great views out of his window.:rolleyes: Good idea though.

Back when I lived there I did have some pretty nice views out of the office window. Where I live now, the view is of the side of a cattle barn.
In fact, my current home office is so "oppressive" (literally smaller than an economy prison cell, with no view) that I have just today signed a lease on an office in Rendlesham (bigger, some degree of view, a lot more natural light etc).

Anyway, yes... that's three 26" widescreen monitors hooked up to my main PC, with a rotating desktop wallpaper. Got some really nice panoramic wallpapers :)

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Oooo well now, those that have met me when doing archery will know that my favourite bow to shoot and own is my great northern critter gitter sp bow. Well I may have found a bow that has knocked that bow to second place.......Not sure if it is a happy day or sad day?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE