Suffolk Bushcraft Group

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

No... doesn't work the same way (and I'd never heard of Jompy before... looks interesting and I should do more research on how that one works)

This one is one of the more primitive concepts: Fire underneath, tank of water above. A long copper pipe is coiled (multiple times) inside the water tank. Water goes in one end of the pipe, is heated by the boiling water in the tank as it flows through, and comes out nice and hot.

This one is strictly gravity fed (I basically stuck a funnel in the top end of the pipe, and the bottom end is cut like a spigot). Pour cold water in the top, the hot water comes out the bottom where you hold your cup :)

I've designed this one so you can run basically any type of stove underneath it. Tested it in my kitchen with a Trangia meths stove, but you could put a woodgas, multi-fuel/petrol stove... or just light a fire underneath it ;)

I just need to insulate the tank to make it more efficient... but it gets the job done, and it's easier to keep a small amount of water at the boil than having to constantly empty and reboil from cold. Since we don't need absolutely boiling water to make a brew (or to wash up), this system makes more sense to me :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
we used to use a Jompy thing years ago, and a camp kettle that you pred in the cold in the top and hot cam out of teh spout.. keep wanting to make one but nevr get round to it..

I also have an idea for a Base Camp Water Boiler that I will make one day.. :), just need to source some stainless bits, tube, weld them all up... ect ect, and that will give you boiling water on tap....at the same time as cooking :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Anyone know where I can pick up a couple of 45/50 gallon oil drums (preferably ones that haven't been cut up)?

eBay's no help as they're all collection-only and none in a reasonable distance (and the only ones who deliver are charging £99 for the drum, and extra for delivery... they're having a laugh!)

Yep....... me!

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Yep I have them at work, I will see tomorrow if the tops have been cut out, but I have new ones all the time and you are welcome to have them for free and I am happy to deliver them for you in the van no problem.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Yep I have them at work, I will see tomorrow if the tops have been cut out, but I have new ones all the time and you are welcome to have them for free and I am happy to deliver them for you in the van no problem.

That's fantastic mate! I'll happily take three off your hands soon as you've got them, and once the first full-scale prototype is built and any bugs worked out, I will likely want to build more of them too :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
OK Just got back from work, I have three drums with lids on and screw caps, If you want one up the group site, let me know and I can drop it off in the van, I will have more, but you will have to wait until they become available.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
OK Just got back from work, I have three drums with lids on and screw caps, If you want one up the group site, let me know and I can drop it off in the van, I will have more, but you will have to wait until they become available.

Hi Toby... the three were for me at home (two for my prototype water boiler, the third in case I mess up one of them while cutting or to make a large wood stove for indoors if not) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE