Suffolk Bushcraft Group

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Anyone know where I can pick up a couple of 45/50 gallon oil drums (preferably ones that haven't been cut up)?

eBay's no help as they're all collection-only and none in a reasonable distance (and the only ones who deliver are charging £99 for the drum, and extra for delivery... they're having a laugh!)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

That's perfect mate :)

I need a couple for a home-made heating and water-boiling system I've designed. Tested it in small-scale (using large dogfood cans) and I'm now ready to go full-size on this sucker :)

Beauty is it's an instant water heater [once the tank is up to heat, anyway], rather than having to store the hot water in a header tank (though that can be done also, and likely will)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm sure we could come to some sort of arrangement while I'm in Suffolk, even if someone could buy and store them for me till I get up there in January.

If Stu is okay with it, I could pick up a couple and leave them at the group site so they're there for the next meet? Obviously I wouldn't be staying, just dropping them off in the shed and headed home...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'm sure we could come to some sort of arrangement while I'm in Suffolk, even if someone could buy and store them for me till I get up there in January.

Send them a message see if you can pick them up when your down on the Friday morning before you go to teh Pub..

YOu looking at doing a Oil drum Frontier stove? :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If Stu is okay with it, I could pick up a couple and leave them at the group site so they're there for the next meet? Obviously I wouldn't be staying, just dropping them off in the shed and headed home...

you got to get them across the field first...

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Cheers for that mate, but thats way out of your way. I was thinking I could pick them up during or after the meet.

Send them a message see if you can pick them up when your down on the Friday morning before you go to teh Pub..

YOu looking at doing a Oil drum Frontier stove? :)

Good idea Stu. I was thinking about an incinerator at the site, and a BBQ for myself.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah an incinerator would be an idea.. I know we spoke about it on Sunday... it would make rubbish disposal easier.. seeing we getting a kitty we would have the money for it :)

And I think a Large Kettle would be a good one as well :), and a early purchase from funds :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Yeah an incinerator would be an idea.. I know we spoke about it on Sunday... it would make rubbish disposal easier.. seeing we getting a kitty we would have the money for it :)

And I think a Large Kettle would be a good one as well :), and a early purchase from funds :)

My simple design would make a "large kettle" easy enough to build.
I'm going to share the entire plan, design and build process as a series of videos on my YouTube channel... figure others can benefit from this thing!
Electric immersion water heating is stupidly expensive compared to throwing a few kilos of firewood in a drum ;)

Hell, if you just want to directly heat 205 litres of water, you could just stack one oil drum on top of another, make the bottom one the fire chamber, and stick a brass tap on the top tank... the only difficulty would be actually filling the thing!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
My simple design would make a "large kettle" easy enough to build.
I'm going to share the entire plan, design and build process as a series of videos on my YouTube channel... figure others can benefit from this thing!
Electric immersion water heating is stupidly expensive compared to throwing a few kilos of firewood in a drum ;)

Hell, if you just want to directly heat 205 litres of water, you could just stack one oil drum on top of another, make the bottom one the fire chamber, and stick a brass tap on the top tank... the only difficulty would be actually filling the thing!

So a 5 ltr kettle it is then.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE