Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Lovely big Beech, that will keep you warm for a year or 2:)

Yeah... I haven't even gotten all of the limbs off them yet, and already my woodshed is fully-loaded!
I've set aside the best straight-grain sections for carving projects (such as spoons, spatulas, chopping boards and even a couple of wooden cups). The thicker stuff I'm setting aside for the open fire, while the thinner stuff I've earmarked for my Frontier stove :)

Hoping to set up another woodshed to store even more soon... and to plank the trunks when an opportunity presents itself.

Certainly not going to be wasting such fantastic wood, that's for sure!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Belongs to landlord and I have permission (not a "wood poacher")

There are two dogs in the photos... both related, but one is a fair bit larger than the other :)

Lucky you; fill 'yer boots!

Is that anywhere near Chillesford? I often walk the Orford Loop around there and that track kind of looks familiar. I found a windfall beech there and was amazed it even stood up; the rootball hardly penetrated the topsoil. I was referring to the dog looking up at the camera :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Lucky you; fill 'yer boots!

Is that anywhere near Chillesford? I often walk the Orford Loop around there and that track kind of looks familiar. I found a windfall beech there and was amazed it even stood up; the rootball hardly penetrated the topsoil. I was referring to the dog looking up at the camera :)

Yeah, it's on Chillesford Lodge Estate. I noticed an improvised lean-to shelter in there during the summer, along with a whole bunch of litter and half-cut trees.... wasn't you was it? ;)

The ones which came down in the storm this time have some pretty deep rootballs, so I can only imagine the kind of force they must've endured.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Yeah, it's on Chillesford Lodge Estate. I noticed an improvised lean-to shelter in there during the summer, along with a whole bunch of litter and half-cut trees.... wasn't you was it? ;)

The ones which came down in the storm this time have some pretty deep rootballs, so I can only imagine the kind of force they must've endured.

Aha, I was right.

That shelter and mess sure wasn't me; once again it's a shame that some people have to desecrate the woods like that :-(

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Aha, I was right.

That shelter and mess sure wasn't me; once again it's a shame that some people have to desecrate the woods like that :-(

I make a point of clearing it up every time I walk there (we take our dogs there all the time, so it's become part of the routine really)

I'd hope nobody tries to "camp" there until we're done removing all the windfall (particularly the massive detached limbs precariously suspended up in the trees).

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I make a point of clearing it up every time I walk there (we take our dogs there all the time, so it's become part of the routine really)

I'd hope nobody tries to "camp" there until we're done removing all the windfall (particularly the massive detached limbs precariously suspended up in the trees).

Good on you.

I've noticed a lot of the high branch hangups on my commute to work; it'll take a while to get them all safe. There seem to be a lot of willows where the top has snapped off.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Good on you.

I've noticed a lot of the high branch hangups on my commute to work; it'll take a while to get them all safe. There seem to be a lot of willows where the top has snapped off.

It's quite unfortunate... and in all honesty I've yet to see anyone actually doing anything to remove them. I mean, they've removed all the road-blocking limbs and trunks, but it's as though none of them have actually bothered to look up.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It's quite unfortunate... and in all honesty I've yet to see anyone actually doing anything to remove them. I mean, they've removed all the road-blocking limbs and trunks, but it's as though none of them have actually bothered to look up.

I know what you mean; I always look up at the canopy when walking under trees just to check. Having a heavy limb land on you is not a good look.

I hardly go on it... not really my main thing.. a knife is a tool...lol

Fair point Stu!.. Is a bow just a tool though? Or can it also go beyond its original basic purpose and become an object of admiration as well as a functioning tool?!

I'm not massively into knives, but when I get stuck into an area I push it as far as I can before I get bored and move on! Be it spoon carving or leather working! I do believe most things though can have form as well as function!

Sounds like a nice topic for debate on BB! I might start a new thread! Lol

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Fair point Stu!.. Is a bow just a tool though? Or can it also go beyond its original basic purpose and become an object of admiration as well as a functioning tool?!

I'm not massively into knives, but when I get stuck into an area I push it as far as I can before I get bored and move on! Be it spoon carving or leather working! I do believe most things though can have form as well as function!

Sounds like a nice topic for debate on BB! I might start a new thread! Lol

Oh yeah I agree.. Things can have form, funtion or both.. But to me in my latter years I am realisong that some things are nice to have but form tends to take over in certain areas...and things become anal, in the way people see things....

Think most that know me will say I am more functoin then form... I am an Engineer by trade and like to see things done well, and see real skill. Too oftern you see so many people trying new skills and thinking the are the nuts......but thats another coversation.

I woud say yes a bow is a tool and thats they way I see it... As is most of my kit.. Yeah I do like the bow from the States... It will probley work out that if I do get one then it will be the basic one they do to do the job that I want.... Yes a lot of money for a bow but to me the funtion that it will fold down to the same length as the arrows aids for easy transportation, thats a big bonus.

Yeah I do like the nice things in life as well... And have in the past owned some of the very nice things...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE