Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
any idea what the slasher / chopper was used for originally ?

Think you will find splitting kindling on a chopping block, or maybe just the small wood processing wher an axe was too large Its not got any real weight, the weight is not near an axe, but more then a knife due to the thickness

I know it was made in sheffield, but cant make the actual makers mame out, its too, worn.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Steve.. thinking about a fletching Jig... any suggestions...... something not too expensive....

Think I better make a couple of spares... lol

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Guys, our power is down and we're being told it could be a week before they repair our lines... so I'm running on a genny.

If the power isn't back by Thursday night, I won't be able to make the upcoming meet (sorry for wrong thread, internet is being intermittent).
Will update as things change.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Guys, our power is down and we're being told it could be a week before they repair our lines... so I'm running on a genny.

If the power isn't back by Thursday night, I won't be able to make the upcoming meet (sorry for wrong thread, internet is being intermittent).
Will update as things change.

Ok bud no problem... Have fun...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice one, I saw them yesterday minutes after I had told my wife what I wanted for Christmas.
Is there a recomended distance from nock to fletching, or is it a matter of trial and error?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
May go to perris on Friday morn and pick up some sharfts, I have got spare flectchings, nocks and piles so shoud soon be making arows.... :)...

Any heads up on the glue.... ???.. Would superglue do....?
So many little jobs to do..

Got three axes still to refurb and heleve... A 2"Adze to refurb...A new sheath for my machettee, to many little projects to do...

Last edited:

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
A bit of both, you want the feathers to be as far back on the shaft to help guide it without getting in the way of the full draw by touching the face or getting in the way at full draw.
I would say half a inch to one inch from the bottom of the nock is a good starting point.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Stu I would call them first to make sure they have them in stock first. Glue wise Araldite for the points, impact glue (red one) for fletching it is cheap you can buy it anywhere and it works really well and HMG glue for the nocks alittle goes a long way.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu the knife you were using at archery did you make it?

Yeah I did, its an old file knife... one of thse projects that I started aboput two years a go... but kept putting down, and finished it bout 4 months ago... lol..

I may make another or Mod it as i have noticed that the very tip has broken off if you look carefully at it, I did wonder if that would happen when I was making it, I had gone for a very sharp point jsut cause I like the look...and cuasing a design flaw as such for looks..., saying that it may have happend any time , lol...

Thats waht I was expecting to hear on teh glue front.. :),

Thank you Steve...

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Have got a 6' x 4' shed for the group. It's seven years old. but not in bad nick. Does anyone have any treated 4" x 2" about 4' 6" long, 4 or 5 pieces, that we can put down for a base. I can probably fetch it up for the December meet, or we can leave it till after the new year.

PS, Maybe some old pallets would do for a base, perhaps the land owner might have some?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE