Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amjake

Sep 10, 2013
Suffolk
As a 'newbie' and having just had my first knife arrive in post may I suggest the following for meet;

• Safety & basic camp-craft
  • How to use a knife - sharpen etc.
  • Safe use of cutting tools
  • Fire lighting methods
  • Lightweight camping systems - hammocks types, erection, try, use etc.
  • Shelter & Camp Building

I have an awareness of hills/mountains/backpacking etc. but from my first meet became aware that there is a huge amount to learn. As I found out, trying to get the fire going wasn't as easy as 'Ray' makes it look, the First Aid kits hanging on pitches (something I shall pass on to other groups I'm in) and passing a knife has a right and a wrong way!

With all pursuits there are the basics which ensure safety and enjoyment for all, so I'm sure 'newbie's' including myself would be happy to be advised and introduced to as part of our foray into bushcraft.

Kevin

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Myself yes a parachute looks nice, but are they waterproof... Not untill you treat it, or a few months over the fire..... But in heavy rain do they stop the spray/a fine mist as they are so thin... Or is it people like the look... Never really spent a whole weekend under one in a really wet winter

I know from experience that you get wet under a chute, personally I prefer a large tarp, Cheap as chips and easily replaceable.:)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As a 'newbie' and having just had my first knife arrive in post may I suggest the following for meet;

• Safety & basic camp-craft
  • How to use a knife - sharpen etc.
  • Safe use of cutting tools
  • Fire lighting methods
  • Lightweight camping systems - hammocks types, erection, try, use etc.
  • Shelter & Camp Building

I have an awareness of hills/mountains/backpacking etc. but from my first meet became aware that there is a huge amount to learn. As I found out, trying to get the fire going wasn't as easy as 'Ray' makes it look, the First Aid kits hanging on pitches (something I shall pass on to other groups I'm in) and passing a knife has a right and a wrong way!

With all pursuits there are the basics which ensure safety and enjoyment for all, so I'm sure 'newbie's' including myself would be happy to be advised and introduced to as part of our foray into bushcraft.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Oooooo nice new shiny....:), what did you get in the end?

Sharps safety/use and Maintenance is no problem at all, we can do a session for you at the next meet :)..

All the rest we can do as well, as we tend to have "Newbies"... (don't like the word really..) at any time and try to stay fluid with what we fancy doing at the time, we tend to do any passing on of skill as such on a ad hock basis, we can also cover some of the other things next meet as well.

If there is something you see and fancy doing just ask... :)... I may not know how to do it, but someone will... :)

If Carl comes he has a nice fire box as such with some different ways of lighting a fire.. inc parabolic mirror, fire piston with a one way valve ect ect...... I'll ask him to bring it,

I'll also bring a hammock and an extra tarp so you can have a go with that :). on the Saturday night as I will not be there until later due to work.

I'll bring my axes so you can see a selection, no doubt others will have a few as well...

The main thing i to get as much wood collected as poss as the wetter weathers coming and of course the xmas meal will use quite a bit... always god to stock up ready... for the colder months... plus wood collecting when you first get to start a fire is less fun in the dark..., and of course another reason why a small starter wood pile under the tarp for the next meet. :)

amjake

Sep 10, 2013
Suffolk
Stu,

I don't have a problem with 'newbie' there are far worse!

As for last meet, I missed morning due to hospital/consultant but next meet you could all be busy!! The suggestions were some of the things I felt would benefit me/others and am happy to find out from the group as we go along.

As far as my knife I just went for what looked OK, price that won't break the bank and will do the job...

Nakura pocket knife

I have a sharpening stone, will get a strop but how to use them............ I'm ready to learn!

Thanks for the offer to bring kit along, I appreciate and will be able to make decisions about Xmas pressie list!

K

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Stu,

I don't have a problem with 'newbie' there are far worse!

As for last meet, I missed morning due to hospital/consultant but next meet you could all be busy!! The suggestions were some of the things I felt would benefit me/others and am happy to find out from the group as we go along.

As far as my knife I just went for what looked OK, price that won't break the bank and will do the job...

Nakura pocket knife

I have a sharpening stone, will get a strop but how to use them............ I'm ready to learn!

Thanks for the offer to bring kit along, I appreciate and will be able to make decisions about Xmas pressie list!

K

I hope you got a double-sided stone. A coarse side and a fine (or even ceramic) side really does make the work a lot easier :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Not a bad looking pocket knife there :)....

Dont worry about breaking the bank, as long as you like it it looks a good first knife.

As far as busy goes it always is good to take a break, and do something else.. :), and there looks like there will be a nice group again :)

As far as the stone goes I have one but not used it for ages....

I use wet and dry then just strop my blade's

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I know from experience that you get wet under a chute, personally I prefer a large tarp, Cheap as chips and easily replaceable.:)

That was my thought about them OK for summer shade, but my worry is the material, I have quite a bit of experience with different nylons and proof-ness :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Just got back from my 1st session with Penny and her husband, I was the only one there, it went really well. Started on the snake target on the practice butts and kept moving backwards and forwards to get used to ranging, after an hour or so we got out the skunk who received several flesh wounds, a few kills and got scared a LOT. Why is it that a 3d target is harder to hit compared to a flat one at the same distance? Next week I will be trying different types of bow to see what I prefer. The time sure flies by I was there for 3hrs this morning and it only seemed like 1:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just got back from my 1st session with Penny and her husband, I was the only one there, it went really well. Started on the snake target on the practice butts and kept moving backwards and forwards to get used to ranging, after an hour or so we got out the skunk who received several flesh wounds, a few kills and got scared a LOT. Why is it that a 3d target is harder to hit compared to a flat one at the same distance? Next week I will be trying different types of bow to see what I prefer. The time sure flies by I was there for 3hrs this morning and it only seemed like 1:)

Lol I know what you mean... but the 3Ds sure are more fun.... I must admit I find the time flies as well, and to spend a a few hrs out the in the woods is nice as well. you'll soon be signed off :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have another 3hrs session next weekend, then I guess I will be signed off and can get my membership sorted, and start shopping

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have another 3hrs session next weekend, then I guess I will be signed off and can get my membership sorted, and start shopping

Yeah I would of thought so.. Penny and Roger are a nice couple...

Shopping...mmm now what to buy.. :).......

Dont for get to match the arrows with the bow... get it splined right.. :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
currently looking on ebay, I will go up to Perris on day just to have a feel for a few others. I will probably get a recurve to start with just so I can change the limbs as and when I need, then when I find a nice stable draw weight get something different. I was using a 20# bow today, probably too light but for considering I have not shot before and with the amount of arrows I shot was just fine, its not every day you get 2 teachers per student on a course:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
currently looking on ebay, I will go up to Perris on day just to have a feel for a few others. I will probably get a recurve to start with just so I can change the limbs as and when I need, then when I find a nice stable draw weight get something different. I was using a 20# bow today, probably too light but for considering I have not shot before and with the amount of arrows I shot was just fine, its not every day you get 2 teachers per student on a course:)

Yeah, its not a bad idea to give a few a go, I was lucky I know what I wanted as I have shot before, 20lb does seem a bit light but ok, did you notice you had to compensate for the trajectory at distance?, a good excuse for a higher power bow, over long shots.. but don't go mad...you have to be comfortable all day long but one thing to remember you will be in a group of say 4 or 5, each will take a shot from the three pegs one by one... then you will move to the next target, so its not like standing on a line, if your luck and hit with the first arrow, then it could be ten minutes or so till the next shot....

Of course if you then change the limbs remember to revisit the arrow match,

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
There was a bit of drop but not as much as I was expecting, what didn't help was the arrows not being matched to the bow, next week I will be using a better matched setup. I was just looking on Eastern's arrow selector chart and luckily their arrows cover a good range of draw weights, so providing I don't bugger them up too much I should be able to get a few limb changes before the arrows need to be changed. Weather permitting I will be up at the show ground tomorrow for the robin hood show, there is normally am archery set up to have a play on too.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
yeah I did think about going to the show but got too much to do... got loads to plod through this weekend, just been doing some leather work, and putting nocking point on the bow, mending some arrows were I lost piles, nocks ect,

the day has just flown... got to see my little niece that has come out of hospital tomorrow... after a big back Op :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Didn't make it in the end, the financial controller didn't want to go out in the rain so she stayed over her parents. Thought I would make a start on an essay I have to do, but ended up sewing zips on to a bergan and an extra pocket on to the top of a plce side pocket, I still haven't started the essay:eek:

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Didn't make it in the end, the financial controller didn't want to go out in the rain so she stayed over her parents. Thought I would make a start on an essay I have to do, but ended up sewing zips on to a bergan and an extra pocket on to the top of a plce side pocket, I still haven't started the essay
Ha ha that made me laugh, I get sidetracked by my growing pile of kit too.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Didn't make it in the end, the financial controller didn't want to go out in the rain so she stayed over her parents. Thought I would make a start on an essay I have to do, but ended up sewing zips on to a bergan and an extra pocket on to the top of a plce side pocket, I still haven't started the essay:eek:

LOL... never mind plenty of time.... I jsut did the family thing, my Niece is out of hospital after her Back, so went to see her, she's happy no school for six more weeks.... :).

Visited mum and dad.. and saw my cousions that are back from the summer in Southern Ireland... got taken out for lunch as well...:).

Got to start on Mikes Axe Mask, and Belt Loop as of yet... done the Pattern from Card..

I did have a play with a Basket Weave Stamp, I ve had for some time... thats going to take some practice to get right...lol, should of got the bigger one first....

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Still haven't started my essay, but I did tidy up a bit of kit that had escaped the cupboard, and make a nice venison stew and pick up the boy from school:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE