Suffolk Bushcraft Group Monthly Meeting Friday 2nd to Sunday 4th May 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I spoke to Steve about the Rabbit Project last weekend. The problem is one of logistics. The rabbits must be fresh, so for a Saturday Rabbit Fest, we'd need to harvest them on Thursday the latest, and he can't guarantee that he'd get enough for everyone. It's reasonable to think that he could get one or two, assuming that he has a project with that client on that Thursday (not guaranteed either). So: it's not really going to work as a scheduled skill share. It's far more likely that one month he turns up with a couple of rabbits and we watch him process them before roasting the little suckers over the fire.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The rabbit thing I may be able to have a work with the Land owners Stalker who may be able to provide is with a few.. for a Sat I am going to have a word with him about a Grame Prep Weekend hopefully but thats a way off, and of course that meet would attrract an extra cost as it would mean buying in a service.

but even a demo of how to do it would be a nice way, to start things off :)

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
The rabbits must be fresh, so for a Saturday Rabbit Fest, we'd need to harvest them on Thursday the latest, and he can't guarantee that he'd get enough for everyone. It's reasonable to think that he could get one or two, assuming that he has a project with that client on that Thursday (not guaranteed either). So: it's not really going to work as a scheduled skill share. It's far more likely that one month he turns up with a couple of rabbits and we watch him process them before roasting the little suckers over the fire.

Plus at the moment the bunnies are too small to make a decent meal, I think June may be a better bet.

Roasting is not the way to go, they dry out too much, in a stew or wrapped in foil in the embers is much tastier IMO.

Steve

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
That's the problem with rabbits they start getting stinky very fast.

I spoke to the guy I used to get rabbits off. He said he only shoots Saturdays. He skins and freezes them to sell on during the week.
He said he could leave the skins on if we wanted some, but they would smell when thawing and wouldn't be as nice to eat.

Any progress on the skill share?
It would be a shame to miss it out. Unless you guys want to hear about 'person centered active support' then I'm not much use.
I would like to have a go at making a bow drill.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Russ, I'm all in favour of "person centered active support". I think is sounds like a damn fine skill share.

But frankly, I'd rather learn how to make a Bucksaw. Does anyone know how?? I've seen a boatload of videos, including a guy who made one using only his SAK, but it still seems like HooDoo GooDoo to me.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As an Idea of the Skill share we have had..

Tarpology x 1
Sharps Use and Care x 2
Map and Compass x 1
Fire and Fire Lays x 1

So there are many subjects top cover as of yet, as it has been said it would be a shame to let it flounder, we have a group with loads of knowlage lets share a bit of it :).

If I am honest the montly meet is not the only time to learn, skills can be learnt outside the group then passed on, we can nto rely on the same people all the time to pass on knowage at every meet.. or they will get bored that they are not learning :)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
How about a walk for the skill share?
Any time we see anything that can be used for cordage, tinder, food, filtration etc we stop and talk about it.

Certainly something that I would really benifit from. And it would lay the ground work for future skill shares.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Sounds like a good idea, I have afew books that can help id what we dont know. Maybe walk over to the other site for the boone.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
This time next week I will be looking forward to arriving at the Meet :)...

May take a few Sharps projects to get finished as I got 3 axes that need helving, and an Adze to finish as well :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Thought you had finished that adze.

Vic is working an early on the fridge so I wont e along untill 4ish at tbe earliest

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I suppose that it's time for the official group meal signup post.

I'll be making green chill, which is a basically a big thick mexican-spiced pork stew. It's typically served with tortillas and chips and takes hours in a dutch oven It's a genuine Colorado dish and I'm excited to fire-roast the chillis and smell it cooking all day.

It really shouldn't cost more than £4 a head. So please sign up in the usual manner. Add your name and copy and paste.

1. Mark

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
1. Big Stu - Arriving Friday - 14:00
2. Hedgecrafter (Russell) arriving Sat 09:00
3. Jjessup - Arriving Saturday 09:00ish

Visiting

Interest For Family Suff-Moot
1. Big Stu
2. Chris O, Mrs Ozzy and Jr Ozzy
3. Iambosscat, Mrs Bosscat and the two little Kittens
4. Hedgecrafter, Mrs Crafter and microcrafter.

I'll be there, but will give the group meal a miss. Could someone send a text and let me know if it's suitable to take my fair weather 4x4 across the field?

As far as skill share is concerned. We could do a paracord weaving type one. I was holding back on it as I think everyone knows how to do a cobra weave bracelet. I have made a sling (as in David and Goliath not broken arm) and a belt before. But theres always the tricky bit of materials. Slings are about 12 foot of cord and the belt was about 60 foot. (More or less depending on waistline!) any thoughts?

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Stu: Steve and I should be there around midday on Friday and will need your truck to shuttle some foodstuffs down to the site. ahhh.. this page hadn't refreshed yet… So you'll be there around 2. That should work.

Last edited:

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Possible Gear trade sub-thread:

I've got a couple of old brass Optimus stoves and a Vapalux lantern that I could part with. A straight razor or two as well. I can't think what I really need (who really needs anything anyway,) but anything sharp (like a stacked leather Puukko that I REALLY REALLY don't need) or leather or odd is something that I would consider.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE