Suede pouch fastening ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
I'm new to leather work. I picked up an old suede jacket form a charity shop and I've been sewing little pouches together to practice my saddle stitching before I move onto to some sheath making. Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about how to fasten the pouches shut. I'm quite drawn to toggles and loops, but I have no access to a lathe and they seem to be a bit expensive to buy. Yours hopefully, Pete

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
You can use the suede. Cut the suede into a long taper, roll up from the fat end and then make two holes a couple of inches up the suede strip. You poke the end in and back out through the holes to lock the suede button in place. With the excess leather, you secure it to the item and there is your toggle type leather button. Easier to visualise then explain but my google fu is weak and I cannot find anything online.

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
I am in fact Spartacus.

and so's my wife :)

and unfortunately I have significantly less hair than when I first adopted that monica many moons ago.

Last edited:

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
You can use the suede. Cut the suede into a long taper, roll up from the fat end and then make two holes a couple of inches up the suede strip. You poke the end in and back out through the holes to lock the suede button in place. With the excess leather, you secure it to the item and there is your toggle type leather button. Easier to visualise then explain but my google fu is weak and I cannot find anything online.

This sounds particularly interseting. Does anyone have a picture?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you look at my baccy pouch, I have a leather button on there. A suede one would be just the same.

pipe1.jpg

Hope that helps,

Eric

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
bit of dowel and a knife. Cut the tip off an antler or horn. cut discs of branch wood or antler and drill a couple of holes to make a sort of button

I have used the branches of the Elder tree. If you push out the soft middle you already have a hole to put a leather thong or whatever through. You can cut the buttons as thin or as thick as you like. Simples!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE