Sub Zero Work Boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Need some advice from the sub zero gurus!

Have been in scandinavia almost three months working on farms and have had no problems with the cold until now as the winter is really coming on fast. it's currently around -12 during the day so not so bad. I have some valenki felted wool boots in england i was going to have posted over but don't think they will cut it for farm work and plans have changed so me and swmbo are now flying back to the uk over xmas time so both want to pick up some winter boots we can take back out with us to norway (Bergen) in january when it will be really cold!

We are spending a lot of time on farms, doing a lot of physical work but sometimes standing stationary for long periods so need something to keep our feet warm and dry

I have been looking at pac boots, something like the seeland grizzly pac boots with a warm liner wondering if anyone can recommend something along those lines preferably with a removable liner. Swmbo is after something similar or maybe fleece lined muck boots but i just dont think they will be warm enough?

our budget isn't very high, but if we know what we are after we can find stockists, then go try them on during the january sales and hopefully get a good deal

luckily the farm we are currently on has some spare boots we are borrowing so we are warm, but want to get our kit sorted for january when we fly back to norway :)

thanks for any help
Hamish

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hamish,
try to score some of those Swedish army tretorn rubberboots. M90 försvarets (gummi)stövlar if you want to google.
I thought Bergen would be more wet then cold??

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
My Lacrosse Iceman Pac boots have been great, and they have a steel toe cap ( think Alaskan oil pipeline workers! )

Leather uppers and removable wool felt liner.

They turn up on the bay from time-to-time.

Best.

Chris.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
We are spending a lot of time on farms, doing a lot of physical work but sometimes standing stationary for long periods so need something to keep our feet warm and dry

I assume you will be moving between warm indoors and cold outdoors from time to time, thus waterproof rubber, EVA etc. wellingtons are needed. Boots with c. 4-5 mm wool liner or similar should do just fine.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Pac boots are probably the most versitile in terms of cold and/or wet situations. I've been using my Sorel's up here for 11 years now, similar type of winter environment. Pricey now'days though unless you can find some s/hand on the Bay or somewhere, trouble is this time of year winter stuffs at a premium.
I've heard the Seelands are good, do they not have a removable liner?
Steel toe probably a good idea, no idea how they preform temp wise against non steel, but Chris seems pleased with his Lacrosse's.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Sorels are pricey, yet i find them 1000% better than a good pair of riggers. Mind and stock up on new artic socks too, nothing cosier than fresh new socks that do the job. Good hunting to the both of you.

Dreadhead

Im not so keen on steel toe caps think i will manage without (touch wood)

have been checking some out on the bay, anyone got any opinions on THESE? they look warm and pretty versatile as i can remove the liners, and also easy to slip on and off which is great for food/tea breaks

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Have you considered neoprene lined wellies? I have a pair of neoprene lined Aigles that are excellent. Comfortable for extended wear, water proof and very, very warm. I've worn them while hunting in below zero conditions on the continent and my feet were kept nice and toasty with just a pair of wool socks underneath. Not too expensive either.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Im not so keen on steel toe caps think i will manage without (touch wood)

have been checking some out on the bay, anyone got any opinions on THESE? they look warm and pretty versatile as i can remove the liners, and also easy to slip on and off which is great for food/tea breaks

I can't comment on the boots but I have orders from the seller before, good kit and fast delivery.

Dreadhead

thanks for the replies so far :) I have been wearing neoprene lined wellies with two pairs of wool socks and feet are frozen when standing around!

I like the look of the boots in the link in my last post which say they go down to -70 but think we are only ever going to be in -30 maybe -40 at a push but i doubt it so do i run the risk of my feet overheating?

perhaps a cheaper version like THESE? any thoughts/experience with these?

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Worked for years using Sorel Pacs, rubber bottoms with leather tops with a removable felt inner liner. Available with or without steel toe. Extra felt liners allways an asset.

Jan 30, 2012
middx
I have very similar boots and find that the rubber/plastic part from the ankle to the toe does not allow the sweat from your feet to breathe away. When I have taken my feet out of these boots my socks are wet and there is a awful lot of condensation under the removable undersole - and no - they weren't leaking.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Hamish it might be worth dropping tamarack an email to see if they have anything secondhand, there are usually some pac type boots in their back room.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hey Hamish,
i got a pair of zealand snowing couple of years back. wore them for 2 weeks in Sweden at about -20 and i didn't suffer with cold feet at all, and i wasn't moving very fast as ex wifey was bone idle. The felt liners are removable and they are a very comfy boot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE