Sub Zero Crew (Fahrenheit not Centigrade)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Then it will be nice to have known them...

What isn't clear?

We may advise you not to go but if you go anyway and are not up to the job you may die or lose parts of your anatomy.

That will not be the fault of anybody but yourself.

We are having a meet up in the Arctic. If that doesn't suit you, don't go...

udamiano

On a new journey
I,m not their keeper. It is not for me or anyone else to tell anyone what to do. Im sure the local authorities however will not be amused if they have to bail someone out, purely because of lack of thought or planning on their part. I'm quite happy to advise anyone who asks on the kit that i'll be taking, But if someone doesn't do any of their own research, or turns up thinking that someone else will provide, then I can honestly say, they are going to get a very rude awakening. Like turning up to a meet in the rain, in just a T-shirt and jeans, and wondering why your going to get wet.

If however someone does get into trouble, then Ill provide what help or assistance I can, As i would for anyone, but it is not my function while I'm there. This like many is a holiday for me, and a much needed one as that.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
What happens if someone turns up and you don't think they or their kit is good enough?

Jokkmokk average temps (coldest winter) is around -19c / -3f will it be much colder where you camp? http://www.climatetemp.info/sweden/jokkmokk.html

Just to say Rik, the average is very different to the extremes

from the Jokkmokk market site,

"
Thank you for visiting us - now let's all look forward to the 2013 Winter Market!
The 2012 Winter Market will go down in history as one of the colder ones, with temperatures ranging between -30 to -40 degrees below freezing. Many thanks to all you cold resistant visitors, market salespeople and all the locals who together made up the 407th market. See you all 7th to 9th of February next year - Welcome!"

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just to say Rik, the average is very different to the extremes

from the Jokkmokk market site,

"
Thank you for visiting us - now let's all look forward to the 2013 Winter Market!
The 2012 Winter Market will go down in history as one of the colder ones, with temperatures ranging between -30 to -40 degrees below freezing. Many thanks to all you cold resistant visitors, market salespeople and all the locals who together made up the 407th market. See you all 7th to 9th of February next year - Welcome!"

I know, that its an average I quoted and not a high/low max :) Proper winter weather, best pack some extra socks. You'll need good shelter too, I've a Golite Hex 3/bug nest that if I don't sell I'll lend out for the trip. Also I'll happily lend out some good stoves and real Trangia's, give me a shout nearer the time.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I know, that its an average I quoted and not a high/low max :) Proper winter weather, best pack some extra socks. You'll need good shelter too, I've a Golite Hex 3/bug nest that if I don't sell I'll lend out for the trip. Also I'll happily lend out some good stoves and real Trangia's, give me a shout nearer the time.

Sorry Rik, I didnt mean to direct it at your statement directly:), just to say that if some ones reading this and thinks, "hmmmm minus 19, we had that here not so long ago, wasn't so bad" that the difference from 0 to minus 20 in dry cold doesn't feel so bad, but minus 25ish onwards and you REALLY need to have every aspect of your gear and routine in VERY good order, talking about sleeping out( and there aren't many that would without a heated shelter of some kind) if your in and out of a hotel\motel then you will still need your clothing to be of a very good standard(locals do as they will):)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What happens if someone turns up and you don't think they or their kit is good enough? Jokkmokk average temps (coldest winter) is around -19c / -3f will it be much colder where you camp? http://www.climatetemp.info/sweden/jokkmokk.html
This is both true and false, of couse. I would plan for temperatures anywhere between -10 C to -35 C. Probably around the -20 C mark, but no none guarantees it, and it may go even lower. I can post my preliminty packing list for such a trip. On the other hand there was a thread a few years ago that gave a good list of clothes for the subarctic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE