sub-survival kit design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
rik_uk3 said:
I once removed the socks of a diabetic day patient, and some toes were in one of them (the poor person did not bath or change clothes often)

I would give sugar under the tongue or between the cheeks and the teeth (side of mouth) and get help ASAP, but that's just me, not firm advice

Jesus! What sort of care do they get at home

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've finally settled on a sub survival kit which I can have with me in virtually any situation which gives me a lot better chance should anything unforseen happent than having nothing would.
000_0103.jpg

The contents are as follows
In the wallet
  • Sheet of tin foil (cooking and signalling)
  • fresnel plastic magnifier
  • Sachet of medicine for stomach problems
  • sheet of plaster
  • bits of paper (receipts) as tinder
  • Money
  • Safety pin
On the key ring are these items
  • BSA scout fire steel and striker
  • LED flash light (thanks to the BCUK magazine)
  • stainless steel vial of cotton wool
  • stainless steel vial of painkillers and anti-histamines (I have hay fever)
What do you think - bearing in mind the ideas I outlined at the beginning of this thread all those months ago?
I'm thinking of adding a plaited keyring of cordage to it but I'm pretty happy now.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
sam_acw said:
I have recently been thinking about survival kit design, in no small part due to a book called Build the Perfect Survival Kit
I am trying to put together a pack of things small and flat enough to fit in a shirt/trouser/coat pocket and not interfere with daily life. It is all very well having a lot of wonderful items in a tobacco tin but I'll only have it with me when I'm put and about. The idea of this is that it is a kit with enough basics to be useful in a survival situation and also on a regular basis when more run of the mill things go wrong.
I was wondering if people had any suggestions as to suitable items.
The only rules I have so far are that it will fit into a flat(ish) space about 3-4 inches square so that it doesn't take up any more space than a wallet. Also, to ensure it is something which can just be carried in any situation there will be no blades in it.
Currently I am thinking of the following items on a sort of trial list:
Tin Foil
Tea Bag
Sugar Sachet
Asprin
Thread/Cord
Elastic Bands
Book of Matches
Plasters
Cotton Wool
Electricians Tape
Gaffer Tape
Safety/Nappy Pins
Wire
Paper
Pencil

Any advice or comment would be welcome and I'll try to mock up a trial version and post it here to help clarify what I'm trying to do. I'm also wondering about if I will have one and treat it like a wallet (i.e. it goes in trouser pocket first thing and stays there all day) or if I will build a few and put them in coat or bag pockets. Originally it was going to be non metallic to be aircraft friendly but that has gone out the window this week.

See if you can get to your local Pharmacy and get a small plastic vile of Potassium Permanganate (sp?). It's a need-be for any survival kit because;

-Put into a wooden or bone dent, with some sugar. Take a wooden stick or bone and crush in a downward, twisting motion. Flames will erupt (this has been used in some bombs made by terrorists, expect to be put onto a list that is surveiled by police!).

-One crystal will purify a litre of water.

-Throw a handful onto snow and you will have a bright, purple stain that can be seen for miles. Spread it on the open snow of a frozen lake, and a bush plane should be able to spot you.

-It's used primarily as a first aid, antiseptic. A mighty powerful one at that!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I put this PSK together about 25 years ago, never need it it in anger , but have found bits useful and would not havew normally had them with me.

Survivalkit.jpg

I also put a fire kit together, this has been very useful in the past.
Both of these are in 50g tobacco tins.

Firstartingtin.jpg

And I could'nt resist adding fire starting bits to my MOD knife sheath, this came in very handy during fire starting lessons with the kids.

MODeverythingout.jpg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I found his on a website which might help.

Its an organised set of 5 different kits ranging from an everyday pocket kit to a 72hr grab and go bag.

Go to www.outdoors-magazine.com
>Survival
>All kitted out.

It is a very comprehensive write up which is well worh looking at.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE